I didn't realize that I was carrying around Big Brother

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAroo

Reaction score
TomTom is collecting real time GPS data and selling that data to 16 governments in Europe so that they can set up speed traps

TomTom Australia says it is planning to sell GPS data collected about its customers' journeys to road authorities and private companies even after it was forced to apologize when that same data was used by Dutch authorities to set speed traps.

https://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz1LaOeqBF8

I didn't realize I was carrying around Big Brother with me!

I will not be buying a TomTom GPS or any other GPS devise that sells its data to government authorities.

LAroo

"Most" GPS specific devices are receive only and have no way of send off your data or track your location. Some of the newer units require a SIM Card. They are transmit capable.

On-Star, and Cellphones, etc.. Can also track your speed.

Ouch! Anyone know if Garmin is guilty of tracking us too?
My Garmin DOES record where I have been...but I don't think it has the capability to SEND back to Garmin unless I connect it to the PC. I have been downloading my rides from my Garmin so I know the data is there. Who knows what happens when I connect to the internet with it.

Ouch! Anyone know if Garmin is guilty of tracking us too?
My Garmin DOES record where I have been...but I don't think it has the capability to SEND back to Garmin unless I connect it to the PC. I have been downloading my rides from my Garmin so I know the data is there. Who knows what happens when I connect to the internet with it.
I think your right about about being connected to the net. AS a condition for updating the software, Garmin will download ALL the information on the unit while you are logged on to their site. I don't know how they use it.

I think your right about about being connected to the net. AS a condition for updating the software, Garmin will download ALL the information on the unit while you are logged on to their site. I don't know how they use it.
Well...I just got back from a 5 day ride. The Garmin only maintained about 3 full days worth. I was hoping for more...but it didn't have the full trip. I guess it maintains a certain amount of distance and then overwrites. Hard to be certsain though.

I have never owned a TomTom, but I know that none of my Garmin GPSes have ever had a means to transmit any data. This article indicates it is sending "real-time" data, not historical track logs. I have also never seen any upload of my GPS data during any of the software or map updates that I have done in the past Even if it was collecting that info, all you'd have to do is delete the track logs and other personal data before you connected the GPS to your PC.

This just smells like a hoax to me.

Huh. The Nuvi 1490 my wife has in her car can get local traffic reporting service, which like the basic GPS service, is receive-only.

But it can also make Google searches for points of interest that aren't in its little on-board database. This must be being done by the cellular data network, and hence is two-way communication. In real time. Make you wonder what else is in there... :unsure:

I have never owned a TomTom, but I know that none of my Garmin GPSes have ever had a means to transmit any data. This article indicates it is sending "real-time" data, not historical track logs. I have also never seen any upload of my GPS data during any of the software or map updates that I have done in the past Even if it was collecting that info, all you'd have to do is delete the track logs and other personal data before you connected the GPS to your PC.

This is when your unit has the real-time traffic update add-on, or any of the other "TomTom Live HD" services such as local real-time fuel prices, mobile speed cameras, Google local search, hotel bookings, or local weather. You upload your current position and speed to TomTom any time you use one of these services, and their server retrieves the info for you. Apparently they also archive and sell it as well.

The local traffic service is NOT receive-only. Your speed & position are aggregated with everyone else's. That's how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again... If the device you purchased can no receive a phone call (without pairing or connecting a phone) It is most likely just a receiver. The newer devices that will have a SIM card on the other hand with be transmitting via cell networks.

If you stick with a receive only GPS, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Call your manufacturer and ask.

If you stick with a receive only GPS, you have nothing to be concerned about.
Yebbut, it's the attitude of the company. First Garmin screws me with ultra-expensive map "updates" that aren't, then TomTom not only has a crappy UI, they do this. My next "GPS" will probably be an Android tablet of some sort. I'd love an iPad, except Steve Jobs is such a twat. I have limited money, and I try not to give it to companies that treat their customers like consumers.

This is when your unit has the real-time traffic update add-on, or any of the other "TomTom Live HD" services such as local real-time fuel prices, mobile speed cameras, Google local search, hotel bookings, or local weather. You upload your current position and speed to TomTom any time you use one of these services, and their server retrieves the info for you. Apparently they also archive and sell it as well.

The local traffic service is NOT receive-only. Your speed & position are aggregated with everyone else's. That's how it works.

Ah, OK. Well luckily, none of the Zumo GPS'es have that feature. So I guess they'll never be able to figure out how fast we motorcyclists are going... ;)

As to using a smart phone instead of a GPS, how does that prevent someone from getting your speed and location data? :unsure:

As to using a smart phone instead of a GPS, how does that prevent someone from getting your speed and location data? :unsure:
Well so far, the phone companies are pretty good about requiring a warrant, and they don't sell it on their own.

Well so far, the phone companies are pretty good about requiring a warrant, and they don't sell it on their own.
Crash is right on the money there. Cell phone companies are very good about making things difficult for us without a warrant. They have entire divisions that deal with subpoenas and warrants and each phone company has a certian set of rules that we have to follow. Most times it's a pain, but at least I know they are protecting my data also.

However...You should see the amount of data they keep. HOLY SHIT...Two years ago, we went on a tour of one of the bigger companies data storage facilities. I don't even remember the numbers, but the amount of data they have coming in there per hour is astounding.

The reason they want warrants is to limit their liability from customers suing them when data is given to law enforcement. I would think that if Garmin or TomTom was taking data from GPS units plugged into computers, they would fall under the same liability issues. I know I have to log into my Garmin account when I do things with my GPS units. I'm assuming TomTom is the same. Hell...event taking that data directly from the GPS when it is mounted to your windshield may hold liability issues.

I just donno if the claim that TomTom is selling that data is true. I don't live in Europe, so maybe, but I know here in the states, I have never heard anything like that going on. We get most of our data from crash reports, issued citations and those little "Your Speed Is" speed trailers that display you going by at light speed just so you can see it flash. The RADAR unit inside there downloads data including number of cars, time of day and speeds to a spreadsheet and we use it to figure out if recent enforcement worked, needs to be done, or isn't necessary.

Please also remember, a speed trap is not a bunch of cops enforcing the speed in an area. A "speed trap" is 'artifically lowering the speed limit in an area for the purpose of increasing violations.' As far as I know, speed traps as described above have been illegal here for years.

Eihther way, even if Garmin was selling my data, I donno if I would care...But I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: