I got whacked while driving my car

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzzmusician

Official Hoon
Reaction score
Short story. I was driving along and a lady who was stopped at a stop sign decided it was okay to proceed. The only problem was that I was there.

I have a $16k car and there is $10k worth of damage. Her insurance company wants to fix the car. I'm not happy about it. I would prefer the car totaled.

I was also kicking around buying a new (used) car. The difference in value between a pristine car and one with 10k worth of damage will be significant.

Any of you devious and creative people know how best to deal with her insurance company? I really don't want this car after such significant damage.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Sounds like you got tee-boned in the intersection for that much damage. You might ask your own insurance agency for guidance and assistance in the matter. At $10K you can make things look pretty good, but if the frame was bent, that is going to affect the market value of the car. Or, you might ride your bike and discover you neck and back hurts when it didn't used to. :eek:

Bummer, sorry to hear this.

Not sure of the laws in the great state of WA, but....

Really it's up to your insurance company. They mediate for you between her company and yours. They (your insurance company) represents YOU. Usually to total a car it has to cost more than 80% (approx) the value of the car, you're at 62.5% the value, it's getting pretty close to a total.

IMO, work with your insurance company and make sure you understand what WA Auto insurance companies define as a total. Look for loop holes and exceptions. They can fix bent frames no problem, it all comes down to $$.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I would expect the car to be placed in a jig and the 4-wheel alignment checked before you accept delivery after the repairs.

Uhm...you will want the other insurance company to know your expectations. I mean, the car was perfect BEFORE the accident.

Gunny on checking with your insurance adjuster.

A future problem with a repaired vehicle is that it will show up in a Carfax search as having major repair work which will substantially affect your ability to sell in the future. Folks will want to beat the crap out of your price with that knowledge.

Good luck, Bob, looking forward to our next visit to WW and catching dinner at the bistro.

hopefully all will work out for you. Look at the bright side, It's still better than getting whacked by this guy.

e3a9c57f.jpg
biggrin.gif

Or by this guy.

imagesqtbnANd9GcSCni6_exgEZylqlhq3QN3YIYDjrfumSn4kj5DkYEXJ1xWNlo9D.jpg

Oh, wait, he's a guitar player.

I had a car that was $100.00 shy of totaled once and had to get it repaired. Later a paint and body guy said his shop would have broken a window or something to get it over the top. It was okay when done. I'd be sure about the frame like was said above (technically a unibody).

BTW: Big Pauly's a nice guy... as long as you don't cross him.

vincent02.jpg

You may be entitled to Diminished Value. Diminished value is the automatic loss in value from a collision. Almost every vehicle that has been in a wreck will have some form of inherent diminished value. It has been estimated that 55% of consumers would not buy a car that had been in an accident. 81% would not have a car that had been in a wreck unless they were given a large discount.

If your vehicle's value drops $3,000-then a separate check for this amount is paid to you. Most insurance companies will not offer this without you pressing them.

My link

The approach I took;

Situation may not apply. But look for damage that when repaired may put in question the safety of the vehicle. For example in most t-Bones there is a good chance there is damage to the firewall. The firewall creates a seal between the engine and the driver and its near impossible to get it perfect when repairing. Imperfections could mean that in the next accident you are more likely to be injured.

Take into consideration the body shop is the one who wants to repair it. They have the most vested in repairing your vehicle. ask questions about can they guarantee the safety of the vehicle after repairs. Ask them how much they have torn down the vehicle. If all else fails contract a recommended body shop and ask them to do a review of the vehicle because you are concerned about your safety.

If there is a big disparity between the body shop quotes use that to your advantage. I recently had my daughters, boyfriends mother back into one of our cars. I took it to two shops and I was surprised at the difference in the quote. I wasn't paying for it however the first one seemed high. In fact it was and there was stuff on there that should not have been. Even though i wasn't paying for it my feeling is that if you cant trust them. Well then you cant trust them.

In cali they cant force you to use their body shop. they have to allow you to use your own shop if you prefer.

Settle for a little less than its worth. It will cost you a few bucks but in the end you wont have to deal with a rental, a shop that takes two extra weeks and the pain of dealing with a POS. Most cars would never be the same after a repair that costs 60+% of the value.

I had a car that was $100.00 shy of totaled once and had to get it repaired. Later a paint and body guy said his shop would have broken a window or something to get it over the top. It was okay when done. I'd be sure about the frame like was said above (technically a unibody).

BTW: Big Pauly's a nice guy... as long as you don't cross him.

vincent02.jpg
Thats crazy. Why wouldn't you just tell them to right you a check for $101 less than the value and ask them to thank you for saving them a dollar in cash and much more in hassle.

Also I remembered one other tactic a friend taught me in one of my accidents. I apologize I don't have the details. But he hooked me up with a company that buys totaled cars for parting them out. All I had to do was either go on a website or call ( i cant remember what i did) and tell them the type of accident and the exact make and model using the VIN number. Then they gave me a buy out quote. Add that onto your number because the Insurance company will still make money off it. The funny thing was when I got the details the insurance company tried to argue with me and I found out the company i contacted is actually THE largest in So Cal and was the same company the insurance company uses to buy out their totaled vehicles.

I ended up getting Higher than replacement cost for the vehicle.

Remember things like the keys, stereo, airbags, seats in most cars are worth 200-500 each. So they can quickly make their money back while you are made whole.

Is $10K the initial quote? Usually when the body shop starts working on it they find more problems and the number goes up. I'd say you have a good chance of it being totalled just by letting the shop start work. If that doesn't work out, go for the diminished value compensation. When the car comes out of the shop, take it and the check and go get yourself something you trust.

Thats crazy. Why wouldn't you just tell them to right you a check for $101 less than the value and ask them to thank you for saving them a dollar in cash and much more in hassle.
what can i say? it was the 70's and the current climate of lawyerismisms hadn't yet raised its head. you know... back when the US made stuff and companies didn't avoid sending product here because of fear of litigation.

Thanks everybody for your replies. You've given me some good points to raise when I talk with the adjuster, (again) today.

I have two friends who are dealers and both of them said that the damage will diminish the value by about 30%. They also said NOT to sign off on anything and to start negotiating the "diminished value" claim PRIOR to signing off on the car. I also have a bit of residual soreness above my left hip which is no doubt muscle trauma. That should be worth something too.

Bob

what can i say? it was the 70's and the current climate of lawyerismisms hadn't yet raised its head. you know... back when the US made stuff and companies didn't avoid sending product here because of fear of litigation.
LOL. Totally hear ya. The benefits of the information age. :)