I had to laugh. . .

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the LD Comfort shorts. They are better, but my butt still hurts after a day in the saddle. I threw in some Monkey Butt powder with them and it might have helped a little more. Also have a sheepskin to sit on. I think I have a sensitive butt. No complete relief yet.
GP
Here's the formula you seek:

LD Comfort shorts + Russell Daylong leather seat = Butt Nirvana

;)

Did a long trip on my Buell Lightning with stock seat. 2600 miles total in a week but a few of those days were 600 mile days. Not too impressive on an FJR but it's a long ways on a bike like that. Used Anti-Monkey butt on the long days through summer heat and humidity of NC. It worked great...

I use the LD Comfort shorts. They are better, but my butt still hurts after a day in the saddle. I threw in some Monkey Butt powder with them and it might have helped a little more. Also have a sheepskin to sit on. I think I have a sensitive butt. No complete relief yet.
GP
If the fabric on the LDComfort Riding Shorts becomes wringing wet the inside will still be dry. That is the purpose of the fabric in motorcycle riding underwear. If you put powder in the shorts it is to absorb moisture. That is the job of the fabric and the powder just plugs up the fabric. Moisture will then stay on your skin and tenderize the skin. The powder turns into a grinding compound and just makes matters worse in the long run. That is why wearing bicycle shorts do not work as well as the LDComfort. The fabric is a single layer polyester and is made for an outer garment. Even if the fabric claims to be "wicking" it still holds that moisture against the skin. You know what...Cotton is "wicking". Wicking is a buzz word. Maybe powder might do some good in bicycle shorts but really...why do that when you can wear a dual layer fabric made to keep the skin dry and designed as an undergarment for the motorcycle rider. Some people will learn slowly and learn the truth after many trials and much suffering. Mind you I agree that sitting on beads might help. Or perhaps a sheepskin over the seat but still, powders won't keep the skin dry. LDComfort will.

Recognize that comfort counts for every mile, not just for the first 1000 miles of the day.

I used the anti-monkeybutt powder a few years ago a few times. Didn't do a damned thing but make a mess. I tried beads (not anal beads ya perv's), sheepskin and prayers. Nothing helped the damned stock seat but a lot of riding to harden my ass. LDComfort shorts helped the best. I don't have the money for a custom saddle -- maybe next year.

While this thread may have started off as a joke, it has some good information. I was thinking of using some of the Monkey Butt powder I was given as a gag gift, along with my LD tights for a trip I have coming up. I am very glad I read this post, and now know that is not something I want to do. My two pair of LD tights will have to handle the 5 or 6 long days on their own.

No powder or anything esle applied to the backside works as a substitute for good hygiene and proper riding gear. An after market seat is a must IMO as the stock seat did not work for me for distance no matter what I was wearing. Wicking moisture away from the skin is the cure.

I also use LDcomfort gear, but I also will use generic gold bond cream (CVS brand or other that has a mild topical analgesic agent: pramoxine) and alternate with gold bond powder maybe every 500 mi. The powder is messy but combining with a cream keeps it "in place" better. All I know is having a custom seat, good gear and the other aids mentioned all combine to help me do longer miles.

doctorj