I have a tick tick

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2005 FJR Scott

Reaction score
Hello,

My 2005 FJR with 20,500 +/- miles has a tick between 2500 and 3000 rpm.

She’s nice and smooth otherwise.

Should I be concerned?

Im loving this ride and don’t want to screw it up.

You'll have to be a little more specific for us to assist. What area does it originate from? Hot? Cold? Under load or not? Any work that was recently completed?

~G

Concur with escapefjrtist.  There's a long history and many threads devoted on this form to diagnosing the "dreaded tick" that affected 2005 and earlier bikes. But there are also threads about normal Yamaha head tick, cam chain tensioners misdiagnosed as "ticks", and even fleas & tick season.

Since you have 9 posts I'll renew the suggestion when you signed up to search and read a little....and we pinned a thread on the ugly one conveniently for you...its the first one actually.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/60-technicalmechanical-problems/

You'll have to be a little more specific for us to assist. What area does it originate from? Hot? Cold? Under load or not? Any work that was recently completed?

~G
Bike is completely stock except for a power commander and after market slip-ons

The tick I hear happens hot or cold, load or not. 

I took a ride and have it nailed down to 2600 to 3000 rpms.

And, I’ve read many posts about the tick. It seems the engine probably won’t suffer any ill effects but I’m staying on top of all maintenance.

I’m also going to ride to a local Indy and let him listen to it.

Just make sure it isn't an issue with the cam chain tensioner.  Usually more like a rattle and predominantly on the right side.  Worse just after startup.  Doesn't sound like this is your issue but I am mentioning it because it can result in a grenaded engine.  If you have the original CCT, you should consider replacing it.

Just make sure it isn't an issue with the cam chain tensioner.  Usually more like a rattle and predominantly on the right side.  Worse just after startup.  Doesn't sound like this is your issue but I am mentioning it because it can result in a grenaded engine.  If you have the original CCT, you should consider replacing it.
Yep, I'm going to replace the CCT regardless.....Cheap insurance for sure. Thanks.

Howdy all! Finally got around to changing the CCT hoping the tick would go away……It did!

When I took the new CCT out of the box, I retracted the plunger and pulled the screwdriver out and it extended.

The one I removed would not do that. I retracted it, pulled te screwdriver, and it stayed retracted.

I’m assuming that means it’s shot?

I guess I don’t understand how the CCT works.
Just for kicks, I put the old one in a vise and tried to compress it.

Wouldn’t budge……

The plunger on a cam chain tensioner will push out to maintain tension on the cam chain. It does not push back in readily - has to be turned in using the recessed screw (if you are doing service work that requires cam , chain or pressure plate removal). The problem comes when the plunger doesn't extend with sufficient pressure (or doesn't extend at all). Weak or broken spring. Possibly crapped up with some particulate or mechanically worn.

Last edited:
The 2005 is now 17 years old and the CCT should be changed regardless of miles. I changed mine over 10 years ago during the valve check and other maintenance. The upgraded CCT should be good for the life of the bike. The alternative is not pretty. If the CCT fails, the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the bike.

Latest posts