I just struck a deal to become an FJR owner . . .

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

993_Pilot

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just struck a deal to buy an 2006 FJR. I found it on Craigslist HERE. It was traded in on a new car and has been sitting in the back of the Crown Dublin Chevrolet dealership. I gave them a $1k deposit on my Visa card today to hold it until the weekend for me. I offered full price because it was such a good price, that I didn't want to risk them selling it out from under me. They had a $275 dollar off coupon on their website that I am hoping they will still honor. As you can see in the CL ad, it only has 2400 miles. They assured me that it has never been down and is not a salvage title. The sales guy, Ricky Page also tells me that it looks brand new and they have the side bags and the top case still in boxes from Yamaha because they have never been mounted! The reason for the good deal is simply that they are a car dealership, and don't normally deal in motorcycles. I am very excited about the new (to me) bike, but I am apprehensive at the same time because I haven't even seen it yet. Buying "sight unseen" is a new concept for me, but I guess I could probably still get out of it if the bike has been misrepresented in any way. I just hope the snow stops soon so I can go conclude this deal. Wish me luck !

Oh yeah, I still need someone to buy my VFR listed HERE . . . any takers?

Resistance was futile, that assimilation didn't take long!

:yahoo: Congratulations! :yahoo:

Now, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a quick sale of the VFR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good deal. Congrats. I assume the hard bags are included, even though they are not pictured?

It sounds awesome but ... and I really hate to be the bummer here ... but this sounds too good to be true.

KBB trade-in value for that bike is $7355 while KBB retail is $10,375. Since car dealers are in the business of making as much money as possible (and that means giving as little $$$ as possible for the trade-in while re-selling the used vehicle for as much $$$ as possible), why are they selling it for that little? Nevermind that they don't normally sell bikes. It seems to me that a normal business would treat this like any other vehicle in terms of how much $$$ they can get for it.

993, I hope this works out for you ... but my advice is to look this bike over VERY closely. Maybe even take a mechanic with you. Still, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :fan_1:

Congratulations, indeed! Sounds like a very good deal. You will probably want to have a Yamaha dealer run the VIN and see if your particular FJR would need the meter assembly replaced (pretty optional, just to fix a stuck mpg readout) or the ECU replaced to fix a possible high altitude run problem. Hope your deal works out and you likie da bikie.

Murph posted as I was typing this. At a car dealership the FJR is kind of like a cat at a dog show. If the dealer properly porked the FJR owner at trade-in time ;) they may just be motivated to get rid of the cat (so to speak).

(Err, it did have a clutch lever, right? That is to say, it's not an AE is it?)

Congratulations, indeed! Sounds like a very good deal. You will probably want to have a Yamaha dealer run the VIN and see if your particular FJR would need the meter assembly replaced (pretty optional, just to fix a stuck mpg readout) or the ECU replaced to fix a possible high altitude run problem. Hope your deal works out and you likie da bikie.
Murph posted as I was typing this. At a car dealership the FJR is kind of like a cat at a dog show. If the dealer properly porked the FJR owner at trade-in time ;) they may just be motivated to get rid of the cat (so to speak).

(Err, it did have a clutch lever, right? That is to say, it's not an AE is it?)
Good advice, and truthfully, I didn't ask about it being an AE model, but it is Blue. Aren't all of the AE models Silver?

Sounds like a good deal. Congrats. I assume the hard bags are included, even though they are not pictured?
Yes, both sides and a top box.

If the dealer properly porked the FJR owner at trade-in time they may just be motivated to get rid of the cat (so to speak).
Highlander bought his the same way, only from a Harley Dealer.

You will probably want to have a Yamaha dealer run the VIN and see if your particular FJR would need the meter assembly replaced (pretty optional, just to fix a stuck mpg readout) or the ECU replaced to fix a possible high altitude run problem.
Absolutely! The dealer can tell you if the speedo has been replaced under warranty (some were) and whether your is within the guidelines (by serial number) for the ECU replacement.

You will want to check and see if ALL of the locksets are there. The extra matching locks for the topcase and sidecases came with the bike when it was delivered.

I didn't ask about it being an AE model, but it is Blue. Aren't all of the AE models Silver?
DUH!!! Yes most AEs are Silver. Except for the ones where the dealer swapped the plastic for an owner. I've seen several swaps, wanna see pixs I took at a local dealer? I’d say you are safe on this one. :)

Holy crap!!!! I would love to find one on the east coast with low mileage and most of all a low price like that one. I have not been able to find a 2006 for under $9000.

Hope everything works out ok.

going right by there tomorrow and may have time to take a peek for you. I'm certainly no mechanic, but do have a digital camera! PM if I can help

Dan

Congrats on getting a FJR.

How much snow you have in Sparks, NV right now? When I left South Reno at lunch today I had 5" of snow on my truck in just 4 hours. I sure hope the snow clears for you this weekend.

Did you know the silver FJRs are faster then the blue FJRs?

You flying or driving down to get it?

Holy crap!!!! I would love to find one on the east coast with low mileage and most of all a low price like that one. I have not been able to find a 2006 for under $9000.
Hope everything works out ok.
Most that I have seen were $9500+, that's why I jumped on this one.

993going right by there tomorrow and may have time to take a peek for you. I'm certainly no mechanic, but do have a digital camera! PM if I can help

Dan
That would be great. PM sent. Thanks! :drinks:

Congrats on getting a FJR.
How much snow you have in Sparks, NV right now? When I left South Reno at lunch today I had 5" of snow on my truck in just 4 hours. I sure hope the snow clears for you this weekend.

Did you know the silver FJRs are faster then the blue FJRs?

You flying or driving down to get it?
I will be driving and towing a closed box trailer to bring it back as long as I can get over the pass. We got about 3 inches here in Sparks today... and I am sure the Blue FJR will be fast enough to meet my needs :devil:

Congratulations! :clapping: I hope to see you at NAFO this year (Near Denver CO.).
I will try to make it. I guess I need to start reading that thread. Will the West coast guys caravan out there?

I wouldn't worry much. I bought a BMW LT the exact same way. 6 months old, 1900 mi. trade-in at a car dealership.

Sight unseen. They just wanted it gone and didn't care about making much jack on the deal. Your deal is probably just

the same. I could not have been happier with my deal. I flew out to California from Texas and rode it home.

I bet you'll find your deal just the same.

Enjoy it!...and start farkle-spending with the cash you kept.

Wow! Sweet deal.

At that price, if I had seen the ad, I might have bought a 3rd one!

Congrats!!!