I know some of the packing material stays

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess we can agree to disagree WC ! B)
So if the intended effect was to evacuate the air under the bike, instead of the riders boot, it looks like a good place to do a Cromeit type fix out of some plastic instead of the cheesy foam. If your correct ... that's the most unasthetic quick fix I've ever seen on a bike ! They spend thousand on retooling a new fairing, air management etc., ... then stick 2 cents worth of foam in there ? Shoot that engineer someone please ! :D
:poster_stupid:

Feck, might as well stick a rag in there, then. Hell, for shits and giggles, soak it in gas first! Lame idea, lamer execution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone spoken directly to Yamaha regarding the foam under the engine or regarding whether the foam inside the right fairing is supposed to be plainly visible?

That foam looks like cushioning material Yamaha cut up after unpacking their new CADD computers.... took the foam out to the assembly line and viola!

Reminds me of the story where Henry Ford was very exacting in the construction of the wooden crates used to ship inividual radiators to the plant producing the Model T. After uncrating, the crate became the floor boards of the car! The more things change, the more they stay the same....

Has anyone spoken directly to Yamaha regarding the foam under the engine or regarding whether the foam inside the right fairing is supposed to be plainly visible? That foam looks like cushioning material Yamaha cut up after unpacking their new CADD computers.... took the foam out to the assembly line and viola!

Reminds me of the story where Henry Ford was very exacting in the construction of the wooden crates used to ship inividual radiators to the plant producing the Model T. After uncrating, the crate became the floor boards of the car! The more things change, the more they stay the same....

If you go back and look at the picture I posted of the AE from Yammi's site, it clearly shows no foam. Of course, logically, this whole discussion could be terminated if someone could identify a part number for the foam. A part number would legitimize the foam. No part number would clearly indicate to me that it is nothing more than packing foam.

- Spock

I think the part number would be the answer. Photos in ads and catalogs often leave things out that clutter up the photo. Harley leaves out license plate holders, auto manufacturers leave off external radio antennas. So, the part number would be the final answer, I think. Good point, 2wheel.

Has anyone spoken directly to Yamaha regarding the foam under the engine or regarding whether the foam inside the right fairing is supposed to be plainly visible?

That foam looks like cushioning material Yamaha cut up after unpacking their new CADD computers.... took the foam out to the assembly line and viola!

If you go back and look at the picture I posted of the AE from Yammi's site, it clearly shows no foam. Of course, logically, this whole discussion could be terminated if someone could identify a part number for the foam. A part number would legitimize the foam. No part number would clearly indicate to me that it is nothing more than packing foam.

- Spock
Unless the foam comes pre-attached to the fairing pieces.

Nope. Foam (dampers) on earlier models have individual part numbers. The glue lets go after a while and the shit falls off. Doesn't make sense to replace a whole fairing for a shitty piece of foam now, does it?

Nope. Foam (dampers) on earlier models have individual part numbers. The glue lets go after a while and the shit falls off. Doesn't make sense to replace a whole fairing for a shitty piece of foam now, does it?
The fact that foam is stuck in there is just stupid in the first place. They might as well use cheese. That's just stupid. Hey Yamaha, that's friggin lame. Oh yeah, it's stupid too.

If I got an 06, my first mod would be to rip out the stupid ass shoulda been cheese heat shielding foam by the oil filter.

The fact that foam is stuck in there is just stupid in the first place. They might as well use cheese. That's just stupid. Hey Yamaha, that's friggin lame. Oh yeah, it's stupid too.
If I got an 06, my first mod would be to rip out the stupid ass shoulda been cheese heat shielding foam by the oil filter.
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :D

But then the oil filter would be lonely! :lol:

I'm not going to go so far as to say that the foam isn't supposed to be there, but the online parts catalog doesn't appear to show it. I don't remember seeing it in the illustration in my new shop manual either, but I'm gonna look again. That isn't to say that if it is considered part of the panel it just isn't illustrated. It may seem pretty crazy to have it be serviced only as part of the panel, but trust me, with General Motors I've seen stranger things than that.

I'm not going to go so far as to say that the foam isn't supposed to be there, but the online parts catalog doesn't appear to show it. I don't remember seeing it in the illustration in my new shop manual either, but I'm gonna look again. That isn't to say that if it is considered part of the panel it just isn't illustrated. It may seem pretty crazy to have it be serviced only as part of the panel, but trust me, with General Motors I've seen stranger things than that.

'06 parts catalog ain't on line yet (for public use, anyway).

'06 parts catalog ain't on line yet (for public use, anyway).
I disagree

https://www.mrcycles.com/default.asp

And disagree you should! I stand corrected. Nice find. :good:

A quick scan of Cowling 2 produces no part number or reference for said offending foam. Therefore, packing wad. Tear that shit out! Heat management system, my pale, white hairy ass! Ch'yah, right! :p

:D

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ordered a new replacement panel from Yamaha yet, and if so, did it come with the foam piece on it?

Just to add to the discussion, last night the dealer told me the foam is supposed to be there... maybe it's designed to stay just long enough for new owners to post on the internet that the heat issue is solved... then it receives a wireless message for the glue to release and it blows out along the road.

Ok, tell the dealer that you are missing some foam and you want them to install it per the maintenance manual....have them check their illustrated parts catalog and order it....or else.

Ahh Hemmm! <_< ack ack.... I Belive I said It first :clapping: The foam ain't doin' nuthin cept makin those blue buggers look uglier. Like they needed help :D

The "foam" packing matter is a hardley davidsin oil control thingy.

:jester:

Odot :****: wears assless Chaps, 'case anyone want's to know