I need new summer gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying not to be too negative, but some of the lighter weight summer gloves offer only marginal (if any) real protection. You could wear a pair of brown jersey gloves and be as well protected in my opinion. For me this is not just an opinion, but a hard learned lesson. The summers here in Atlanta can be hot and commuting in the heavy traffic on a daily basis can be downright miserable. So after doing some looking around, I decided to try a pair of “summer” gloves. I enjoyed a pair of Cortech gloves (I believe they were HDX). They were a short cuff, mesh and leather with a hard molder knuckle protector. Well, after a 25MPH low side (thanks to some substance in the road) my glove actually caused more harm than protection. During the crash, my hand went under the wind screen, broke the upper pivot connection, and sent it through the glove (and into my hand) between my middle and ring finger. As the bike and I finally parted ways in the accident, a piece of the bracket was up under the knuckle protector, and ripped the glove from my hand. Unfortunately, the cuff strap did not loosen and as the glove was tore away, a large section of flesh on the back of my hand went with it. Looked like something straight out of a Terminator movie. Anyway, after a couple of surgeries and skin grafts things are as good as new. So now I choose a nice pair of heavy leather gloves. I do not use the wrist straps and they have to have padded knuckle protection (no hard knuckle protectors). And yes they are hot, but it is a choice and one I’m willing to deal with. Not trying to preach doom and gloom, just wanted to offer a different opinion. I feel that sometimes we can get a false sense of protection. I know I did. OK off the soap box. Hope you find something you are comfortable with.

Gloves are there for protection from road rash, not from mechanical body-slicers as they appear during an incident. In your case you're implying that the glove tore the skin off the back of your hand, when it may have been the metal and plastic bits of the busted-ass windshield mechanism that tore your hand up. I'm not sure what non-steel gloves would have helped there.

Both of my crashes were while wearing Joe Rocket Phoenix III short mesh gloves, and they did the job both times, no hand damage other than a weird bruise on the end of my thumb in the first one. (My issue with those gloves was the fact that they just didn't last very long, tearing at the bottom end from pulling them on, and they had a lousy closure.)

Well...... you all gave great input (as always) :clapping: . I got another set of Cheetas from roadgear. used them for the last

five years and had three asphalt get-offs with no hand damage and they ARE vented well

rg.png
800 854-4327 Customer Service | Your Account | Wish List Shopping Cart: 0 Items TECHNICAL WEAR | LUGGAGE | ACCESSORIES | CAMPING GEAR
pixel_trans.gif
Cheetah

CF723

The name says it all—Speed, Power, Dexterity—for those who push themselves and their steeds to the maximum.

Calling all Canyon Carvers and Sunday Racers: "Here's your glove."

$99.90

Size

Color

Quantity

button_add_wishlist.gif

image_enlarge.gif

CheetahWhiteRJ.jpg

pixel_trans.gif
CheetahWhiteRJ.jpg

image_enlarge.gif
Cheetah.Wht.Fingers.jpg

image_enlarge.gif
Cheetah.Blk.Cnt.jpg

image_enlarge.gif
Cheetah.Blk.knuckles.Cnt.jpg

image_enlarge.gif

**** got the all black set****

also gonna go look into a set of these. They make a great set for woman and men.

Review: Racer High End Gloves By: Beth Mills

gloves1_crop_sm.jpg
There comes a time when you need to retire your gloves, as faithful as they have been. My poor Alpinestars have been through pouring rain, ice, 100+ Texas heat and a nasty spill that crushed/shredded the knuckle armor on the right glove. I think that's enough punishment. I retired them to my Riding Gear Hall of Fame, which is actually a dusty bit of shelf populated with old and crashed helmets, mangled SV650 parts and a fuzzy alien doll in a purple cape named Wasabi. Don't ask.

It's time to go glove shopping! Finding gloves that fit and are well made is as essential as finding a good helmet. You plan to wear them for long periods of time so they shouldn't fatigue your hands or chafe. If you happen to decide to crash test them, you probably want something that has a pretty good chance of working. Your paws, like your head, are pretty hard to fix when broken. I happen to be pretty attached to mine so I buy as top shelf as I can.

Buying top shelf can be a challenge when you are a female. We have smaller hands and most of the higher end gloves out there are designed for male hands, which are wider through the palm. You guys have stubbier fingers too. We have narrower hands with longer, more slender fingers. In my case, I have ET fingers, which are especially hard to fit. You find yourself compromising between a loose fitting palm and fingers to get the length you need so your fingertips aren't bottoming out on the ends. That is, if you even fit into the smallest size offered by XYZ glove maker. In addition, while motorcycle clothing industry has started recognizing female demand for gear, unfortunately, most of the stuff marketed in the US seems to stress form over function. I see lots of pink and other pastel colors, skimpy fit and not a lot of armor. I don't care how feminine it looks and neither does God's Own Belt Sander. If I get my hand stuck between the bar, the tank and the ground again, I want protection.

gloves2_crop_sm.jpg
In comes Racer, an Austrian brand who is now marketing in the U.S. They (gasp) make REAL gloves in women's sizes. This doesn't mean they scaled down the existing pattern and made the glove in XXS and XXXS. They made the palms narrower and the fingers longer. Racer doesn't offer all of their top end gloves in women's sizes but they offer a race quality glove that's a great price and has some amazing features � the High End. This isn't some watered-down version either. It's the real deal with a laundry list of features that I'll describe in excruciating detail.

The cow leather is buttery but tough and the kangaroo leather is supple and gives great feel. The leather feels a bit like Held's leather but thicker and more substantial. The carbon armor is thick and looks well molded. I picked up a friend's set of $230 Held Galaxy gloves and compared them with the High Ends. The Galaxy's leather and armor felt dare I say a little flimsy and cheap next to the High Ends. The carbon panels felt a little thin and brittle as compared to the High End's.

There are little things that shine, little bits that show a great amount of attention to detail that are usually reserved for models in the $200 plus range. For example, the thumb and index finger have articulated stretch panels to allow for better movement. The knuckle armor floats on its own layer of leather and padding, to allow better positioning. Even better, if you feel under that floating layer, there's another articulated stretch panel over your knuckles. This pocket also serves as a convenient stash area for toll money. The pinkie finger is braced to the ring finger to help prevent dislocation. The palms have huge pads with these clever little carbon �rivets� embedded in them right where you'll hit the ground if you do a Superman off the bike. I thought they would interfere with my grip. They don't. They're set just right. I hate hate hate rivets too but the idea of using little carbon fiber �pucks� intrigues me. They don't scratch your tank and maybe they'll help in a spill, although I suspect they'll shred. Speaking of set just right, there's a small carbon �puck� that covers that bony part of your wrist. I've never had a glove where that �feature� really worked. On this glove, it works. It fits perfectly over that bony protrusion on your wrist whose name I should look up in Wikipedia. Someone was really thinking when they designed this glove.

But wait, there's more!� For those times when you must give the Vulcan greeting or, more often, assume the �two fingers covering the brake and clutch levers� position, there's a panel of Lycra between the middle and ring finger to allow for better movement and even more breath ability. Speaking of clutch and brake levers, the index and middle finger trips have an extra layer of leather and three strips each of stuff that I can only describe as being like the goo they use to attach your new credit card to the activation papers you get in the mail. These little lines-o-goo spoil you. You get great fingertip grip on your levers. You'll find yourself massaging your levers with great love to feel the little goo strips grip semi-polished cheap cast aluminum. I kid you not.

The extremely pre-curved fingers plus the buttery leather make for a very comfortable glove that also happens to be armored for the motorcycle apocalypse. They may be a little bit race but they're also a little bit tour. I've done 600 miles straight without any problems, no hot spots or chafing. I didn't tear them off to relieve my hands when I stopped for gas. I felt almost no hand fatigue or cramping as my fingers wanted to naturally curve around the grips, instead of fighting a badly designed cut of a inferior glove. I feel no bunching of leather behind my knuckles or on my palms.

How do they fare in the hot, hot weather of the California Vall-ay? Simply put, they rock. The little finger vents do their job, as well as the perforated section on the back of the hand. If you put your hand out in the air stream and spread your fingers, that Lycra panel will let in some more air for that extra �Oh yeaaahhhh...� I did a 400 mile trip in 95+ heat and my hands were fine. Cold is another story. Cold is not our friend when wearing the High End but that's why the Powers That Be invented these things called �heated grips.�

I have just a few complaints. The lady's High End comes in sizes S-L. This is great news for those of us who have very small hands to medium-large hands but bad news for someone like me, who can palm a basketball. Size Large is a smidgen on the small side on my hand. I felt just a tad restricted for the first 100 miles or so. As they broke in, they stretched just enough to accommodate and I'm 98% satisfied. Still, if there was an XL...just a little more finger length (we're talking millimeters). The little pinkie bondage straps really bug me. I didn't realize how much I used my pinkies while riding. Maybe it's a female thing, like sipping from a teacup with pinkie extended. My pinkies want to be freeee! I cut the leather bracing between the fingers and trimmed it down to match the rest of the fingers. Problem solved for me. I'm glad Racer offers the feature as it's a good feature and it's 100% reversible if you don't like it. Finally, Racer only offers the High End in black for the ladies while the gents get colors to match their flashy leathers. I guarantee that your hands will not bake in the direct sun as long as there's air flowing but your gloves aren't going to match that custom white and blue Vanson jacket you wear. You can't have everything.

What's the damage to your wallet? This glove retails for about $160 US. They don't FEEL like $160 gloves. They feel like $260 gloves. They feel like what Held made 10 years ago and charged us up the rear for, before the off-shoring demon possessed their soul, started sourcing materials from third rate kangaroos and cows with crack habits and shipped production to the People's Republic of Cheapistan.

Oh yeah, the guy's version ain't that bad either. Go try on a set! https://www.racer.at

;) ;)

The gloves listed by HaulinAshe look really nice. Might have to order a set. I've been riding with MX gloves, no real protection for the street.

Jeff, do these gloves have good 'feel'? My hands are really arthritic, I need comfie...
I guess the best thing I have to say about the GX Air gloves, is that I've liked them well enough to buy 2-3 brand new pairs every year for the past five years. I have bought other mesh gloves and have them all stowed away in a box or given away to other people.

In a pinch I will stop someplace local and buy MX gloves too. The GX Air fits a bit snug, but breaks in quickly and rarely causes any pain in my fingers. Just FYI, I have 14 broken bones in the right hand and three broken in the left hand. I understand pain.

These aren't cheap but I've had them for 4 years now and absolutely love them. I know, they aren't vented. I have used vented gloves that aren't as comfortable as these in hot weather. These gloves work very well in a wide range of temps. They have a great feel when on. Plus they are made in the U.S.

My link
I too have a pair and love them. Yes they are probably the most comfortable glove I have ever owned. I have even had a crash in them they protected my hands and are still usable. I show the scuff marks to those who think it's OK to ride with out gloves.

I haven't considered them for use as warm weather gloves. Always wore my Icon gloves in hot weather. I guess I should give them a chance in the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee Parks Gloves

Have worn them pretty much all year round except in extreme cold or rain. Absolutely love 'em!

Same here. Have been using them for 6 years or so now.

Arizona summers can be hard on them though. Eventually sweat/sun/heat will put holes in the leather. I get about 3 years out of a set in everyday use with only the occasional conditioning. I need a spare pair of cheapy gloves for some of my summer riding. Perhaps HaulinAshe's might be worth a try.

+1 on the Held Airstreams. I just got back from a 2 week / 3200 mile trip that included Raleigh, Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis with temps in the afternoons reaching the high 90's most afternoons.The Helds were comfortable the 1st time I put them on (bought them just before I left), provide great ventilation and have a solid wrist strap to help keep them on.

Another thing that saved my bacon on the trip was the Techkewl Phase Change cooling vest but that is a story for a different time (and thread!)

+1 - just bought a pair from Lee at the IBA International Meet. My favorite RevIt gloves are getting a little long in the tooth and I wanted to line up replacements. The Lee Parks Designs deerskin gloves are excellent and very comfortable. Wore them on a 1,030 mile, 15 hour ride returning from the Meet. I would never have attempted that with most new gloves, but had no issues with these. Clicky

I also have a pair of the Aerostich Competition Elkskin Roper gloves, Clicky, but they are proving to be kind of a bitch to break in.

Pete

I have the Icon overlord short vented gloves and they are fairly cool in the summer. Here in TN over 85 degrees from May thru September and 90 degrees for 3 months . I got mine in white, hate black anything in the hot summer sun. They are pricy over $130 but do have the kangaroo palm that gives excellent feel and almost no slippage on the grip.

Well got to run the Held Warm and Dry yesterday in monsoon weather. Hand were as dry as could be. It is so cool to just pull your glove off, and slide your hand into the Gortex pocket and boom you are dry. The leather got wet but my hands were dry and warm.

And I can say yes the Darien Jacket and Lite Darien pants are waterproof and very nice to wear in the rain.

I had to chase rain here in PA yesterday to check this gear out as I am leaving on Sunday for a month to points out West. I needed to prove they worked for me and I am so impressed with the gloves and Aero Stitch clothing. And when I caught up to the rain it really let loose. I was dry as a bone when I got home and could not be more impressed.

As I said the Held gloves are just out of this world. Great protection, padded palm and sides of the hand, great knuckle protection and they breath well. I am impressed as I have ever been by a pair of gloves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got several pairs of mesh/summer gloves. Most don't seem to have much protection, but I got a pair of Held Sambias ($89) few weeks ago. Serious protection, kangaroo leather palms, and comfortable in 100 degree weather.