I offer you the Pac-Man nut

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
It kinda looks like a Pac-Man or one of the Easter Island figures in silhouette.

Inspired by this, <Link> and this, <Link>, I decided I wanted both my Blue Sea and my auxiliary fuel pump under the tail.

I wanted the mounts to be both durable and removable. After studying the aluminum casting for a while:

I came up with this:

DSC04702.JPG

[SIZE=36pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=36pt]-[/SIZE]

Dude, you win. Very, very clever..!! And you haven't patented that yet because..? :blink:

How much is that gonna cost?
I made two extras. I thought maybe I could trade them at CFR. I hear beverages are expensive in Canada. They (the Canadian government) obviously don't/(doesn't) understand the importance of grains in a healthy diet. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
So Joe... You gonna e'splain what the fuel filter is for? I'm really hoping it isn't for, well... fuel. Seeing as it is positioned immediately above your Blue Seas fuse box. :eek:

So Joe... You gonna e'splain what the fuel filter is for? I'm really hoping it isn't for, well... fuel. Seeing as it is positioned immediately above your Blue Seas fuse box. :eek:
That's my auxiliary fuel pump. Not only is that going to be over the fuse box, an additional 4.7 gallons of fuel will be parked over it too!

Bad idea?

edit: isn't gasoline dielectric?

I just got back in from the garage.

I thought I'd see if maybe I could mount the fuel pump under the Blue Sea... no-go.

What are the odds that that the fuel lines to (and from) the auxiliary fuel pump are ever going to leak? I've made sure that areas most prone to leaks, i.e., quick disconnects, valves, pipe thread connections, etc., are not above heat or potential spark.

We aren't too concerned that we have 6.6 gallons of gas right over a hot engine.

I believe this idea is safe.

There you go again, using your head for sumpin sides a hat-rack! Nice bit work that lil' tidbit! ....don't have an aux tank or pump, but already busy visualizing other applications!

Put me on the list for one of your 1st prod run!!

If you're concerned about a possible fuel leak, just fabricate a catch pan under the fuel pump. It would need a drain with a short piece of fuel line to dump any fuel leaks overboard and away from the fuse block.

That would probably be overkill IMHO, but you might want to have a chat with that guy named Murphy about his laws before deciding for yourself.

David

Put me on the list for one of your 1st prod run!!
I was talking to another forum member Thursday night about these. He has some downtime right now and I told him he should make these things. Yesterday I sent him the CAD model. I'm curious what his estimate will be.

They look like simple parts, but they're actually cut with a wire EDM. At this point, they would cost something like 40 bucks to produce.

Let's do this:

If there are six people interested in these things, I will make some calls next week to see what I can do to get them produced less expensively. I'm not asking for a commitment. I just want to know how many people want one if they weren't literally worth their weight in gold.

In for one!
Cool!

I already thought of way to shave some of the expense off. The slot is really the only place where the surfaces might need to be fairly smooth. The rest of it could be fairly rough without affecting the function. That means that the semi-finish and finish passes aren't needed when EDMing most of this. Translation; I think I figured out how to reduce the machining time by nearly two thirds.

I'll cut out a couple of these using only a roughing pass for all of the contours. If the rough surfaces don't affect the function, I might be able to make these for a reasonable price!