I ordered a new Akuma helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
Jeeez........... I couldn't resist!

Akuma Doragon with an iridium shield & a Tint-on-demand shield. :yahoo:

Shame on me! :blink:

Very cool Stephen! Where did you order it from? Is this a waiting list since they don't come out until July?

Not the Tint-on-Demand. I'm sorry, that's the cool part I was referring to.

I'm very interested in their new women's line which isn't here yet either but I'll wait for that Tint-on-Demand, since I change my visor twice a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen how the TOD visor is powered, and what is the unpowered state (clear I hope)? This will be a great product, if it works properly and does not draw too much power!

EDIT - I saw the review and it mentions an internal rechargeable battery pack - I hope it can be swapped and an external charger is available or it could (or will for me) go dead at the worst possible time.

Hmmm... my Shoei is getting a little long in the tooth. Like Chik... it would be nice not to have to change shields during the day. The front LED's would be good for reading maps and such in the dark if it's enough light. The red rear LED's may be on the cheesy looking side for me... I guess it would help visibility. I wish they would offer a solid color that wasn't matte black.

I was worried about the weight, but it's only about 3.5 pounds. I guess using some Kevlar in the composite helps that. Here's a write-up from WebBikeWorld.

Maybe I'm too old, but the graphics on all they're helmets are too much for me.

Gimme a plain white helmet with the way cool tint on demand visor and I'd be a happy man.

Oh, phew... The graphics on the helmets shown on that link aren't nearly as flaming atrocious as the ones from the prior link.
You don’t have to worry about all those trashy graphics Fred, all you need to do is order an Akuma R2 Specter, it’s all prepped and ready for a nice coat of high viz yellow.

Akuma R2 Specter:

Akuma.jpg

Fred’s current high viz helmet:

Fred.jpg

Oh, phew... The graphics on the helmets shown on that link aren't nearly as flaming atrocious as the ones from the prior link.
You don’t have to worry about all those trashy graphics Fred, all you need to do is order an Akuma R2 Specter, it’s all prepped and ready for a nice coat of high viz yellow.

Akuma R2 Specter:

Akuma.jpg

Fred’s current high viz helmet:

Fred.jpg

Ha ha!! Where's you get that picture of my helmet? I know it's mine 'cause that's my wife's behind it.

Ha ha!! Where's you get that picture of my helmet? I know it's mine 'cause that's my wife's behind it.
That is an edited picture to remove both you and your wife. I've got more. Send $$$ or I'll publish. Um, I might trade for some headlight help this summer instead... :lol:

That is an edited picture to remove both you and your wife. I've got more. Send $$$ or I'll publish. Um, I might trade for some headlight help this summer instead... :lol:
Ha ha. If you post more pictures of us you'll just disgust the collective.

But any headlight help you should ever need would be free, of course.

Hell, you'll prolly teach me where I screwed up the install. :blink:

[/highjack]

We now return you to the gay helmet channel...

Hey Fred! I'm keeping my nice Nolan 102 for those non-gayish rides on my FJR. :rolleyes:

The Akuma 'gay' helmet I plan to wear when I ride my ZX14. :yahoo:

I talked to one of the Akuma folks last night. The fat head sizes are available now (Doragon). The normal sizes (small & medium) won't be available until mid-March.

The helmet comes with a battery charging cord. From what I understand, the TOD faceshield will plug right in.

Each of the Akuma helmets is different in shape and, of course, graphics.

Now.... back to the non-gay channel! B)

Oh, I ordered mine directly from Akuma (IHT Technologies). However, Helmet Harbor & several other places are or plan to carry the line. There are some demos videos at Youtube, by the way.

This is cool reading: "... you can have a very cool helmet with a unique graphic design, with an LED flashlight built in to the front, with red LED on/off and blinking lights in the rear AND an electrochromatic visor AND a Bluetooth intercom, all powered off a single rechargeable on board battery pack! How cool is that!

But wait -- that's not all! ... Akuma also now has the world's first electroluminescent helmet! OK, so what's electroluminescence? It's defined as something that emits light when an electric current passes through it. Sort of a cousin to the electrochromatic property, I guess. ....powered by the on-board Akuma IPS, these helmets have unique graphics on the outside that are placed under the clear coat. Flip the switch and the graphic takes on a ghostly glow!

And wait, there's still more!! They also have a women's flip-up helmet! I don't know what it will be called, but Akuma called in a group of women and basically told them to help their engineers design a helmet. Whatever they wanted, they got, with no questions asked."

It's just too GAY to pass up! :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo:

The Velocity is the women's one and they have another one coming. Too bad its a flip up. I hope the other one isn't gonna be.

I also heard Cycle Gear is gonna carry Akuma

I'd like to see their battery pack and if it's removable or not, too. I'd also like to know what type of battery (Li-Ion/NiMH, etc) they're using. Not sure how I'd feel about slapping a Li-Ion battery inside my helmet and taking the risk of it catching on fire/exploding if it shorts out in a wreck. Non-replaceable batteries are a no-no.

The paint jobs and electroluminescent crap I don't really care about, but they aren't any worse or any better than the graphics other manufacturers put on their lids. The electrochromic/electrochromatic visor is neat, but weird. The electrochromic glass I've seen changes tint levels much faster than the visor did; not a big deal. The main problem with it is that if your battery dies while your visor is tinted, you're stuck with a tinted visor.

Am I old-fashioned for wearing a clear or hi-contrast visor all the time and keeping a pair of sunglasses in my pocket for bright days?