I ordered a new Akuma helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordering one for the wife and one for me come summer. Just gotta pay off some bills I'm about to make before then.

The stunta thing doesn't bother me. If I based what I was gonna wear on the assholes that use it as well, I'd ride naked, and nobody should be subjected to that :bad:

The main problem with it is that if your battery dies while your visor is tinted, you're stuck with a tinted visor.
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but if you lose power on an electrochromic device, the device goes blank. That would mean that the visor would go "clear" on you if the batteries died.

I seem to recall that the helmet uses AA batteries.

The main problem with it is that if your battery dies while your visor is tinted, you're stuck with a tinted visor.
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but if you lose power on an electrochromic device, the device goes blank. That would mean that the visor would go "clear" on you if the batteries died.
You're right, I was wrong. Electrochromic devices default to transparent when no voltage is applied. We have "smartglass" windows in our office that I thought were electrochromic, but they're SPD (suspended particle devices) that work the other way round: opaque by default, transparent when voltage is applied.

For anyone that's interested, here's a page on How Stuff Works that talks about various smartglass technologies - electrochromic devices are at the end of the article.

AA batteries would be great, if you can swap them out easily if a set dies on you on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Fred! I'm keeping my nice Nolan 102 for those non-gayish rides on my FJR. :rolleyes:
The Akuma 'gay' helmet I plan to wear when I ride my ZX14. :yahoo:
Ah, I see. You can only get away with a gay-ish looking helmet on a bike with higher testosterone levels... ;)

Actually, the electrochromic face shield is pretty cool technology. I hope it works out and becomes more widely available. It's just the odd shape and loud graphics of their helmets that I found to be, ahem... less than attractive. But, as they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beerholder." :drinks:

You can catch a glimpse of the power pack in the photos accompanying the WebBikeWorld review.

I love the idea of the EL graphics, T.O.D. visor, and the 2 MILE RANGE Bluetooth comm system they're working on! I'm very interested in these guys.