I screwed up...!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexford

Reaction score
Long story... Started on HD's back in the late 70's. Found BMW's in 98, left them after a few problems, went back to HD's... Found a very clean used 08 FJR rode it and loved it...added it to the garage. Decided to build up a 2013 street glide and sold the FJR. Man am I stupid!!! Can't afford to have multiple bikes now....so..... I will be back! Oh yes, I will be back!

Long story... Started on HD's back in the late 70's. Found BMW's in 98, left them after a few problems, went back to HD's... Found a very clean used 08 FJR rode it and loved it...added it to the garage. Decided to build up a 2013 street glide and sold the FJR. Man am I stupid!!! Can't afford to have multiple bikes now....so..... I will be back! Oh yes, I will be back!
Yep, I bought a 2005 and kept it 3 years and sold it. Didn't think I would ever have enough sense to control myself on it so I sold it before I killed myself. Now I am back on a 2013. So farI have been fairly conservative with my throttle hand. You know how us 62 year old kids are...LOL. By the way I bought my first Harley when I was14 years oldand have owned one ever since.....but I am not one of thoseHarley owners thatdoes not recognize the enjoymentand value of all bikes.

I did look hard at the new R1600 BMW before I wentback with an FJR. Oh for the dollars.LOL

Dang, I knew HD was hurting and was closing their assembly lines, but I didn't know it was now down to the customer to build their own HD!!! Makes sense though, you are just going to have to take it all apart when you get home to start fixing things.
biggrin.png

Here's hoping you come to your senses soon and snag up one of those amazing looking 2014 FJR's.
biggrin.png

The reason I have my FJR is because of someone like you that traded it in on a new StreetGlide at the dealership I work for. I don't care how much cash you throw at a Harley it will still never be a FJR! Have fun polishing your chrome, I'm going riding!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I bought a 2005 and kept it 3 years and sold it. Didn't think I would ever have enough sense to control myself on it so I sold it before I killed myself. Now I am back on a 2013. So farI have been fairly conservative with my throttle hand. You know how us 62 year old kids are...LOL. By the way I bought my first Harley when I was14 years oldand have owned one ever since.....but I am not one of thoseHarley owners thatdoes not recognize the enjoymentand value of all bikes.

I did look hard at the new R1600 BMW before I wentback with an FJR. Oh for the dollars.LOL
I'm 63 and if I had the $$$$$$, a new FJR, Busa, RR 1000, 996, Fat Boy, track bike (600)? It's almost Christmas I can dream can't I.

I think HDs have a real and valid purpose, we need something to work on during the cold winter, when we can only ride a few days a month. Really nothing to do to FJRs except add more farkles. After a while it looks more like a christmas tree than a motorcycle. I like to work on motors and stuff like that, not just bolt on new bits.

You say that you can't afford more than one bike. I would argue that you probably can if you can now afford to "build up" an essentially new Harley Davidson.

When you get a bike you like, take good care of it and hang on to it. No need to always trade-in and buy new. A bike that is a few years old can be every bit as fun as a brand new one. I own 3 bikes right now and they are all great bikes and a shit-load of fun each in their own ways. I've owned as many as 5 at one time, and no I am not a particularly affluent person. The secret was: none of them were bought new.

You say that you can't afford more than one bike. I would argue that you probably can if you can now afford to "build up" an essentially new Harley Davidson.
When you get a bike you like, take good care of it and hang on to it. No need to always trade-in and buy new. A bike that is a few years old can be every bit as fun as a brand new one. I own 3 bikes right now and they are all great bikes and a shit-load of fun each in their own ways. I've owned as many as 5 at one time, and no I am not a particularly affluent person. The secret was: none of them were bought new.
I like Fred's response because I share his opinion. I bought my 09 FJR for a song with only 4800 miles on it. Basically better than half price from new and 4800 miles is nothing for this bike. I like it and will hang on to it.

My favorite bike of all time is my 1998 Guzzi EV which I still have with about 125,000 miles on the clock. This bike is a keeper and I have no intention of selling it. However, It's likely the last new bike I'll ever buy. A well cared for one or two year old bike can be had at a tremendous discount compared to new.

Never got into the Harley venue. Rented a Road King in 1998 and was not impressed. I agree they keep their value but I prefer performance and reliability over chrome, popular styling and cult status. To the OP, glad you're coming back to the FJR. I think you'll be happy with the decision.

Bill

It's funny that even looking at the new 2014 ES doesn't want me to part with my '08 Feejer. I'm very attached to it...like an old pair of comfortable shoes, but it was an easy decision trading in the street glide for it 6 years ago. I admit looking at new HDs stirs up that feeling that got me buyers remorse on three HD purchases in my life. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me thrice buy an FJR. Nobody can argue the fit and finish or beauty of an HD, unfortunately for me, or fortunate depending how you look at it the experience of riding one doesn't stir the same feeling as admiring their aesthetics.

I have an 04 and an 05 fjr, a busa, a klr650 and I'm thinking about an electra glide. Should I get the hog or a newer fjr?

I have an 04 and an 05 fjr, a busa, a klr650 and I'm thinking about an electra glide. Should I get the hog or a newer fjr?
That depends on what you're buying it for. I work at a Harley dealership and what I see every weekend I work are the same customers with very few miles on their bikes riding from dealership to dealership for the free coffee and donuts, asking the same questions about louder pipes and bitching about their poor performance. If you want a bike that a vast majority of folks think is cool, by all means buy the Harley. If you want to actually get out and ride, make some memories, and see the country, buy a FJR.

This isn't to say all Harley riders are the same. I had a gentleman come in to our shop on Saturday for a new battery for his '06 Road King and he had 144k miles on his odometer. I hate to say but I've found these folks to be the exception. We just recently took in on trade a 2010 Road Glide with under 1,800 miles in over 3 years of ownership.

I hate to say it but I'm the only dealership employee still riding to work this late in the season.

I hear a lot of our customer base badmouth metric bikes, yet few of them ride the miles per year that I think a lot of metric owners cover. I'll often talk to customers about cool places to ride or things I've seen. Far too often I hear the same complaints. Too far to ride, I'd have to trailer it. It rains there and my bike takes too long to clean. My bike isn't comfortable enough to ride that far. Seriously?

Pardon my rant, I'm just burning out on hearing such whining out of people who think over 30 grand for a new CVO Electra Glide is " a good price" yet won't ride more than 1000 miles all year!

If I had your money to spend I would keep everything that you have and find a nice KTM Adventure 990. It would fill the void in your current lineup between the KLR and the FJR and you may be surprised how often you'll end up riding out of the garage on the big trailie instead of the FJR or KLR.

I don't have a 'busa (I just have no need for that much speed!), but my little garage line up is composed of an '05 FJR and a Aprilia Pegaso (same bike as a BMW F650, so similar purpose bike to a KLR). I also have a DL1000 Vstrom to fill the gap between those two. I find that, pretty much any time I'm going to be riding any distance 1-up I'm n the Vstrom. The FJR gets the nod for 2-up and the Pegaso has knobbies on it, so trailering is required if there will be a lot of road riding. There is a reason these big ADV bikes have become so popular. They're wicked fun! ;)

Thanks Fred and Chuck, I think the HOG is something on the bucket list before I die. It is true the Yamaha Tenere or the new DL1200 VSTROM would be a lot more fun. I'm 46 and wanting to scratch the HOG off the list before I can't ride anymore. I do ride year round in California.

Thanks Fred and Chuck, I think the HOG is something on the bucket list before I die. It is true the Yamaha Tenere or the new DL1200 VSTROM would be a lot more fun. I'm 46 and wanting to scratch the HOG off the list before I can't ride anymore. I do ride year round in California.

Wait.. huh? 46 and you're having thoughts about the end of your riding days? Dude, get a grip. I'm 56 and not even considering that happening in the lifetime of my next bike.

But your logic is also flawed about buying a Harley Davidson now. Harleys are the perfect bikes to own when you can't ride anymore. Just look at their odometers and you can tell that this is the case for the majority of HD owners.
wink.png

After a long departure from Motorcycle riding when I put my souped up RD400 down at 100 mph in a highspeed wobble, got back into bikes to get back on the road to my love of 2 wheels again in '03 on a 86 nighthawk, still sitting in my garage for the occasional ride....

In '05 I had the need and lust for an FJR - It has been one with my soul since that time, not sure what the next upgrade will be, more then likely a Gen3.....

Over the years - I have on more then one occasion on vacation rented HD's for some long distance warm weather rides with good friends. Aside from the lack of power and cornering abilities (oh and lack of antilock brakes) that I am used too, I thoroughly enjoyed the casual and very comfortable nature of the HD's I have spent time on... they were a great experience and I can see the draw of many, lets say ---- not looking for top performance, but taking in the sights in comfort.....

I personally couldn't see parking one in my garage though.... for alot of various reasons

And Chuck - I couldn't agree with you more on your thoughts...

Please don't take me the wrong way, Harley does make some nice bikes. Their chrome and paint quality are top notch. They are a pleasant enough ride at a leisurely pace. Far too few of the people who own them know s**t about riding though. Too many pirates. It's too much about the "look" and less about the actual ride and experience. I deal with too many people who believe "American Choppers" and "Biker Build-Off" are reality TV.

I have some customers who come in regularly that I dearly love. They ride and appreciate all brands of bikes for what they each offer. They admit the flaws in their choice of ride and try to make them better through intelligent improvements.

My wife actually owns a Harley. She bought her SuperGlide new back in '97 and has almost 45k miles on it. She's scraped pegs on the Tail of the Dragon, and done 2 long distance rallies this year, the Mason Dixon 20-20 and the Void rally. I own a Buell that I'll probably never get rid of. My '95 S-2 Thunderbolt was number 600 made and it's autographed by Erik Buell.

If fixing up a Street Glide is what you feel the need for right now, go for it. However, to paraphrase Arnold, " You'll be back!"