I screwed up...!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bikerchuck... Yes sir, I will be back! I've done many miles and trips on all types of bikes since 1979...but with a bad back (3 surgeries on my lower back), my long distance days on a bike are all but over! Riding on a cruiser puts a lot of weight on my lower back, so the build up of my Street Glide (thought to be my last bike) makes no sense now..! At least on the FJR I could still go out on shorter rides and enjoy some twisty roads..! Can do it on the Harley (somewhat) but a lot more work. No hard feelings on any of your comments.. In fact I agree with you 100%.... I will be back!

Rexford, sorry to hear about your back trouble. Over the past couple of years my lower back has become increasingly aggravating. I used to think nothing of putting decently long days on my Buell but now I think that would kill me! The FJR with appropriate farkles has really brought me back to being able to do those things. I really don't care what somebody rides, the fact is they're out riding. I've worked part time for a Harley dealership for almost 15 years now and just don't like the direction the corporate leadership is taking the company. It pains me to say but I fear the AMF days are coming back. It's too much about corporate profit and not enough about motorcycles.

FWIW, any tips or help I can offer on your Street Glide feel free to message me. I'll be eternally grateful to the guy who traded in what's now MY FJR!

I have an 04 and an 05 fjr, a busa, a klr650 and I'm thinking about an electra glide. Should I get the hog or a newer fjr?
That depends on what you're buying it for. I work at a Harley dealership and what I see every weekend I work are the same customers with very few miles on their bikes riding from dealership to dealership for the free coffee and donuts, asking the same questions about louder pipes and bitching about their poor performance. If you want a bike that a vast majority of folks think is cool, by all means buy the Harley. If you want to actually get out and ride, make some memories, and see the country, buy a FJR.

This isn't to say all Harley riders are the same. I had a gentleman come in to our shop on Saturday for a new battery for his '06 Road King and he had 144k miles on his odometer. I hate to say but I've found these folks to be the exception. We just recently took in on trade a 2010 Road Glide with under 1,800 miles in over 3 years of ownership.

I hate to say it but I'm the only dealership employee still riding to work this late in the season.

I hear a lot of our customer base badmouth metric bikes, yet few of them ride the miles per year that I think a lot of metric owners cover. I'll often talk to customers about cool places to ride or things I've seen. Far too often I hear the same complaints. Too far to ride, I'd have to trailer it. It rains there and my bike takes too long to clean. My bike isn't comfortable enough to ride that far. Seriously?

Pardon my rant, I'm just burning out on hearing such whining out of people who think over 30 grand for a new CVO Electra Glide is " a good price" yet won't ride more than 1000 miles all year!
Here is an interesting point. When we did a trip in 2009 through western Canada the highest numbers of bikes I saw were Goldwings and Harley's. BIg models like RK & Electra. That surprised me. I saw one other FJR besides mine. I was glad to see those HD guys out there riding.

Long story... Started on HD's back in the late 70's. Found BMW's in 98, left them after a few problems, went back to HD's... Found a very clean used 08 FJR rode it and loved it...added it to the garage. Decided to build up a 2013 street glide and sold the FJR. Man am I stupid!!! Can't afford to have multiple bikes now....so..... I will be back! Oh yes, I will be back!
You're probably not the first to do something like that...and most definitely not the last.

I wanted an FJR soooo bad back in 2006. I let people talk me out of it saying it was too much of a sport bike etc. So I let my friends talk me into a new Gold Wing. I've had the Wing since then, had no complaints and put many a mile on it. Here recently, I triked it. I wasn't overly happy with the trike...which is another whole story in itself. I'm keeping it and using it for a long-haul trip, 2-up and pulling a trailer. It's the only thing my wife will ride. But, man, I loonnnggggged for 2 wheels again...soooo badly. At 63 years of age, and NOT a big fan of the "cruiser scene", my choices came right back into the sport touring arena. I happened to watch an internet video on the 2013 shoot out of the sport tourers. My old friend, the FJR, won out! So I started researching the FJRs again. Dude, when I saw that red 2014 live and in person, the search was OVER. I bought it on the spot and love it. Friends think I'm nutty as a fruitcake but I don't care....LOL....it's my choice and MY bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice story...from a Hondapotamus trike to a 2014 FJR ES. Wow. Now update your profile info so it shows what your ride.

Not every bike works for every man each time.

That's why I own as many brands as I can.

..and ride each when the moon/mood occurs.

Thanks Fred and Chuck, I think the HOG is something on the bucket list before I die. It is true the Yamaha Tenere or the new DL1200 VSTROM would be a lot more fun. I'm 46 and wanting to scratch the HOG off the list before I can't ride anymore. I do ride year round in California.

Wait.. huh? 46 and you're having thoughts about the end of your riding days? Dude, get a grip. I'm 56 and not even considering that happening in the lifetime of my next bike.

But your logic is also flawed about buying a Harley Davidson now. Harleys are the perfect bikes to own when you can't ride anymore. Just look at their odometers and you can tell that this is the case for the majority of HD owners.
wink.png
What does age have to do with the type bike you choose to ride. I'm 71 going on 72 and have my third FJR 2014ES on order. I started riding as a 15 yr old in PA. First bike was a Zundapp, wish I had that bike now. Did Triumph, BSA, and BMW. Never owned a Hardley, but rode several of my friend's Hardleys and that convinced me they are like a boat...it's better to know someone who owns one than to buy one. A friend is a sales mgr at the Hardley dealership in Walnut Creek, CA. He commented on how he would determine what brand bike to buy by looking at the warranty repair frequency. He admitted Hardley has the honor of being at the top. Find a friend with several Hardleys and ride and give them back. Sorta like loving your grand kids and giving them back to the parents!!

P.S Hardley is not a spelling error!!

Last edited by a moderator: