I seem to have caught the farkle-bug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
I read a bunch of threads on tank bags and am looking to grab myself one of 2 models recommended by forum members

Famsa 246 (/29)

Nelson-Riggs CL-350

For the Famsa, if you order the fjr-specific /29, you get the non-magnetic mounting system that covers up the whole tank. While that might be good in some ways, I like the idea of a magnetic one, since you can just rip it off and throw it in the closet, leaving nothing behind. Also, the /29 means you gotta actually unzip it each fuel stop. I look at this pic and can't help but think that zipping it back on has the potential to be a pain once in a while.

thanks for posting the pics sockmonkey

FAMSAFJR1300Platform.jpg

Any nay-sayers on magnetic mounts for either of these models? I'm referring to paint damage over the long run. But if there are other considerations, this noob is all-ears.

TIA

Not specific to either of those (I have an Oxford that I like), but there is potential to scuff up the tank with the magnetic ones. If that is an issue for you, there's always Snyders Paint Guard or Tankslapper stuff that will protect the tank. I bought the Snyder's stuff a year ago, but never bothered installing it - still in the original packaging. A few nicks on a bike that gets driven as many miles as the majority of the FJR's seem to doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.

YMMV

Griff

You might could check here at New enough. At least you would not have to pay the Texas sales tax like I do, but shipping cost could be another story. This link talks about How to Choose the right luggage. It had some things I did not think about. In the close out (bargin) section they had a few tank bags that are held on by suction cups and looked to have a buy one get on free, but they looked like very small bags. I have had very good dealings with this vendor, but they are located in Texas and ship very quickly to me.

Ron B.

Magnetic tank bags can cause scratches from grit. However, I have been using Mag tankbags for thee years on the FJR (up to the massive Cortech 21 liter) and not one scratch. Lots of wax on the tank, brushing off the bottom pad of the bag, LIFTING off and not dragging, and wiping the tank off before (most) uses has kept it looking good. You're gonna get scratches if'n ya ride it. The tank maybe, but I don't worry much with proper precautions as part of my routine. And the convenience is great. I always worry about semi-permanent pads on the paint and what grit has gotten under there acting like sand paper as loads shift and the bike moves and vibrates... at least I inspect mine every time I ride.

YMMV

Caught the farkle bug? Dude, getting a FeeJ turns you into a farkle-holic! (my new word, yes everyone may use it, just give me credit in the annals of the forum ;) )

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Caught the farkle bug? Dude, getting a FeeJ turns you into a farkle-holic! (my new word, yes everyone may use it, just give me credit in the annals of the forum ;) )
Give you credit where?!?!? :lol: I think Patriot has the copyrights on "farkle-holic". BTW.

Mike

Give you credit where?!?!? :lol: I think Patriot has the copyrights on "farkle-holic". BTW.

Mike
DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! I never saw this post, and look what you've done! I missed it by 29 hours!!! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!
I did a search and something close is there "farkle oholic". Mine is frakle-holic. Mine has since been copyrighted, and trade mark patent (JK).

I'm still claiming victory on farkle-holic!!!!

Mike
DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! I never saw this post, and look what you've done! I missed it by 29 hours!!! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!
I did a search and something close is there "farkle oholic". Mine is frakle-holic. Mine has since been copyrighted, and trade mark patent (JK).

Yours is fart-o-holic.

Caught the farkle bug? Dude, getting a FeeJ turns you into a farkle-holic! (my new word, yes everyone may use it, just give me credit in the annals of the forum ;) ) :D

Mike
DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! I never saw this post, and look what you've done! I missed it by 29 hours!!! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! I did a search and something close is there "farkle oholic". Mine is frakle-holic. Mine has since been copyrighted, and trade mark patent (JK).

Yours is fart-o-holic.
Don't hate me cause you aint me!
I still have rights to Catastrophic Lanyard Failure (CLA)! Ask Old Michael!!!! This is for camera shooting on the bike and you loose the camera due to, Catastrophic Lanyard Failure.

well, if there was ever any question as to the effectiveness of the forum as a great resource for gaining / sharing knowledge, this thread pretty-much threw it all out the window ;)

I think I'll just duct-tape my old samsonite rigid briefcase on the tank, with a towel to protect the paint. Hell, it'll be a lot cheaper too. I'll post pics when I'm done.

there there FJRBluesman... 29 hours late isn't all that bad

Magnetic tank bags can cause scratches from grit. However, I have been using Mag tankbags for thee years on the FJR (up to the massive Cortech 21 liter) and not one scratch. Lots of wax on the tank, brushing off the bottom pad of the bag, LIFTING off and not dragging, and wiping the tank off before (most) uses has kept it looking good. You're gonna get scratches if'n ya ride it. The tank maybe, but I don't worry much with proper precautions as part of my routine. And the convenience is great. I always worry about semi-permanent pads on the paint and what grit has gotten under there acting like sand paper as loads shift and the bike moves and vibrates... at least I inspect mine every time I ride.

YMMV
+1. All precautions the same...wax, lift, brush and take reasonable care = no scratches.

Bagster baby! Protects the paint on the tank from sun, tankbag, and from abrasive kevlar armor. The tank bag just flips up for fueling, so there's no hassel there B)

DSC_3613.jpg

YMMV
+1. All precautions the same...wax, lift, brush and take reasonable care = no scratches.
thanks WW & SPU

I prefer the idea of a mag-bag. Just floated this post in case people smarter than I had relevant opinions to the contrary

I won't deny it, I'm a FLAMING detailer (there, I said it) so if precaution is all that's needed, I got no worries

thanks again

and there-there, FJRBluesman.

Bagster baby! Protects the paint on the tank from sun, tankbag, and from abrasive kevlar armor. The tank bag just flips up for fueling, so there's no hassel there B)
DSC_3613.jpg
Saw one of those in blue, and it just screamed "old man". Yours looks good though. But you have the sheepskin seat cover to scream old man. :p

Mike

DSC_3613.jpg
Saw one of those in blue, and it just screamed "old man". Yours looks good though. But you have the sheepskin seat cover to scream old man. :p

Mike
gotta agree. I've come out of the closet about my detailing 'tendencies' but I won't go as far as to hide the bike

still looks sharp tho!

Judging by most of your favorites (small-midsized) with the exception of the Nelson Rigg CL350, I guess I have a different application in mind. I'm looking at a tank bag as an alternative to a topcase for actual 'trips'. For day to day commuting and daytrips up north in the twisties, I don't even particularly need the saddlebags on there, not that I bother taking 'em off or anything.

But if something as monstrous as this means I can take-off with pillion on board and accomplish almost the same thing as having a topcase, well then hell... The rest of the time, this thing sits in the closet and I can keep my petite little derrière nice & sexy (referring to the bike).

Believe it or not, this is the bag NOT-expanded. The lower case has an unzip accordion that when opened, stretches the lower case by a good 5-6". Who needs to see the instrument cluster, lol (I can stand-up to see the speed, set the cruise control and forget about the instruments for the next 4-5 hrs)

givit426.jpg

When you need a smaller get-up, unzip the top half and leave it at home. The top half has built-in backstraps so you & yours can share the load when walking about.

As per the measurements, I could safely stash my laptop in the top half. I could and DID use my goldwing for short-haul business trips... This might even make the Feej an alternative to the Canadair Regional Jet as well (ssssssshhhhhh, bombardier aerospace is one of my customers)