I think I just grenaded my mower motor!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plastic cams and cam gears? seriously? they've fallen far.

when I was about 12 I had a go cart with a BS 3 hp motor. wore it out - I was crop dusting the street with an oil fog. friend's grandfather had an old 2.5 hp motor on a powered reel mower. only problem was that the pulley was so corroded we couldn't get it off the crank. so we hack sawed the crank and used the 3 hp crank, but the counterweights hit the piston skirt. so we ground down the piston skirt on the bench grinder til it fit. bolted it all back together and commenced beating the piss out of that motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems I wasn't quite so stupid that my overfilling with oil was the issue. My stupidity is a completely different kind involving centripetal forces..or lack of the appreciation of them.

Before I changed the oil I had taken the blade off to try and grind out the evidence of an end-of-season chomp fest through a neighbors weed patch/gravel parking lot and pretty much gave up and decided 2010 would be the year for a new blade.

On to the oil task and firing it up I completely mis-diagnosed sick mechanical as engine related and not the blade balancing issue it turned out to be. Off balance blades like to nick and bang the mower deck underside.

After 15 minutes of trying to put it on my Parnes balancer I finally gave up, drove to Sears, popped a new $14.99 blade on, fired it up, and it purrs once again like asthmatic pug I've grown so fond of.

One dead Craftsman mower brought back from the brink of stupidity..... :dribble:

Seems I wasn't quite so stupid that my overfilling with oil was the issue. My stupidity is a completely different kind involving centripetal forces..or lack of the appreciation of them.
Before I changed the oil I had taken the blade off to try and grind out the evidence of an end-of-season chomp fest through a neighbors weed patch/gravel parking lot and pretty much gave up and decided 2010 would be the year for a new blade.

On to the oil task and firing it up I completely mis-diagnosed sick mechanical as engine related and not the blade balancing issue it turned out to be. Off balance blades like to nick and bang the mower deck underside.

After 15 minutes of trying to put it on my Parnes balancer I finally gave up, drove to Sears, popped a new $14.99 blade on, fired it up, and it purrs once again like asthmatic pug I've grown so fond of.

One dead Craftsman mower brought back from the brink of stupidity..... :dribble:
nice, that is a good ending. I was once told there are two things you don't bother attempting to sharpen. hacksaw blades and lawnmower blades. pencils are another story.

I'm glad you got it going, since I'm sure we won't have time to attend to it next Friday night. We have much more important adult-type things to be doing. :drinks:

I grenades several sears BS motors like that, got tired of it and bought a Honda, havent looked back.
I bought a Honda mower a couple of years ago. It replaced a generic mower powered by a Techumsea (sp?) engine that was about 10 years old and had tried to mow one too many large rocks.

It seems a pretty good mower, but it has no choke or primer. It always requires a number of pulls to start, unlike my old mower which started by the second pull every time.

Once I finally get it started its pretty good, it can run faster than I can.

I grenades several sears BS motors like that, got tired of it and bought a Honda, havent looked back.
I bought a Honda mower a couple of years ago. It replaced a generic mower powered by a Techumsea (sp?) engine that was about 10 years old and had tried to mow one too many large rocks.

It seems a pretty good mower, but it has no choke or primer. It always requires a number of pulls to start, unlike my old mower which started by the second pull every time.

Once I finally get it started its pretty good, it can run faster than I can.
Next time you go to start that mower try this. Push the handlebar down to the ground, or at least almost that far, and hold it there for 3 seconds. Let it back up and try to start it. Depending on your carb/fuel tank style and orientation this often works. Floods the carb just a little and makes cold starting easy. Not a good idea if it's already warm, but if it's already warm it probably starts fine.

Not really stupidity, but just lack of familiarity with this type of engine. The mower blade actually acts as the flywheel on many mowers. It needs to be tight, and it needs to be reasonably balanced. If one of these isn't satisfied, it can cause starting problems, and running problems.

FWIW, you can statically balance mower blades in much the same way that you statically balance tires. The principles are the same. Glad to hear you sorted it out. Enjoy the mowing season :rolleyes: