I think I made a mistake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't make the same mistake 2Xs in a row which you'd be doing if you bought the A...buy the 06AE and come join the FORCE.
OK, don't believe me, then at least test drive an AE before you drop the hammer.......and it won't take you long to understand.

You'll remember the first two words out of your mouth when you dismount the AE after the test drive for the rest of your life......

Who want to be yanking on a clutch lever for another 20 yrs anyway.....If you can afford not to, that is!
The AE is like a sportscar with auto trans! No way for me dude. B)

I might join the FORCE 20 years from now!

I too own a V-Max and I love it for what it is- it's clearly not a sport tourer or even a decent highway bike, but it's a blast around town. I installed a Progressive front fork kit and it made a HUGE difference in the handling. and the Supertrapp exhaust sounds like a small block without being obnoxious. Since you haven't broken it in I assume you haven't experienced the vboost at 6500rpm- what a rush!
That being said, I want an FJR for those long trips. I'm keeping the Max and selling the Harley instead! I'll be putting down a deposit on an '07 in the fall.
My garage doesn't have space for a cars and 2 MCs, else I would keep the V-MAX and fix it up.

FWIW: I am pissed at Yamaha not to have fixed the obvious issues with the V-MAX since 1985 :angry2: . Front & rear suspension, lack of frame rigidity, gas tank size. No radial tires!? Too much expense to get it right. Anyway, will have to experience vboost some other day. Maybe I will call on you!

The AE is like a sportscar with auto trans! No way for me dude.
Yeah. Like this one maybe.

mc12_taglioant_open_hi_G.jpg

In line with the MC12’s performance-oriented design, it is supplied

exclusively with the six-speed Maserati Cambiocorsa transmission

offering computerised gear selection. The driver doesn’t need to

touch the clutch with this electro-hydraulic gearbox and instead

selects the gears using the paddles mounted behind the steering

wheel. The transmission’s two modes are selected at the touch of a

button. The Sport mode will be the driver’s most frequent choice and

Its even a special order vehicle, like an FJR. A little harder to get though:

Around 30 MC12s will be built in all, 25 of which will be for road use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't make the same mistake 2Xs in a row which you'd be doing if you bought the A...buy the 06AE and come join the FORCE.
OK, don't believe me, then at least test drive an AE before you drop the hammer.......and it won't take you long to understand.

You'll remember the first two words out of your mouth when you dismount the AE after the test drive for the rest of your life......

Who want to be yanking on a clutch lever for another 20 yrs anyway.....If you can afford not to, that is!

I too own a V-Max and I love it for what it is- it's clearly not a sport tourer or even a decent highway bike, but it's a blast around town. I installed a Progressive front fork kit and it made a HUGE difference in the handling. and the Supertrapp exhaust sounds like a small block without being obnoxious. Since you haven't broken it in I assume you haven't experienced the vboost at 6500rpm- what a rush!
That being said, I want an FJR for those long trips. I'm keeping the Max and selling the Harley instead! I'll be putting down a deposit on an '07 in the fall.
My garage doesn't have space for a cars and 2 MCs, else I would keep the V-MAX and fix it up.

FWIW: I am pissed at Yamaha not to have fixed the obvious issues with the V-MAX since 1985 :angry2: . Front & rear suspension, lack of frame rigidity, gas tank size. No radial tires!? Too much expense to get it right. Anyway, will have to experience vboost some other day. Maybe I will call on you!
No it's more like a sports-car with a stick shift and NO clutch!

Good luck with your purchase - I am sure you will get years of enjoyment out of the FJR1300AE :D !

Best regards,

Shane

I bet the AE can down shift smoother than any human. I would have never thought about an AE, then I got a test ride. If you have a chance, ride one. It will surprise you. You might not buy it, but the AE is much better than many would seem to think. I didn't buy it, my 05 is just fine. But if I had to choose between an A and and AE, I'd probably go with the AE, or the A...point is, tough decision and I used to think like you.

Good luck with your purchase - I am sure you will get years of enjoyment out of the FJR1300AE :D !

Best regards,

Shane
I stand corrected. Stick shift w/ no clutch. Now how do you 'coast' by disengaging a (non-existent) clutch when shit happens? Computers do not yet have human intelligence. Anyway, enjoy your AE :p

Best regards,

Shane
I stand corrected. Stick shift w/ no clutch. Now how do you 'coast' by disengaging a (non-existent) clutch when shit happens? Computers do not yet have human intelligence. Anyway, enjoy your AE :p
I think the technical term is BRAKES :D :D !

Best Regards,

Shane

I would also look at the FZ1, possibly even a Honda Interceptor. The only real problem with the FJR IMO is the weight. I refer to mine as the big heavy bastard :p

John

I would also look at the FZ1, possibly even a Honda Interceptor. The only real problem with the FJR IMO is the weight. I refer to mine as the big heavy bastard :p
John

I sat on the Interceptor and found the position to be too "sport bike" like, as opposed to the almost upright position of the FJR

Interesting thread. I have a V-Max right now, but hope to change to a FJR in the next few weeks. As was already said, I love the V-Max for what it is, but it has several shortcomings. The Max is my first and only bike, and I am looking forward to the change. On the upside, I was supprised by what the dealer offered me for my Max, since it is a '98, and has over 25K miles.

I made a mistake buying a 2006 V-MAX. I didn't do enough research, but bought it on a whim / impulse. I loved the bike when I saw it, but didn't test ride it.Well, those of you who know a V-MAX will know that the bike is a classic and a power plant, but it needs too many mods to get into a stable shape :-( Anyway, make a mistake and learn in this case ...

I am now thinking of buying a FJR.

I am going to test drive it at a Yamaha road show soon, but I also wanted to hear from you guys (or girls) here.

Advice me please based on following.

I have ridden bikes since I was 17. Started off with a 250, 350, 550, 600, then this V-MAX. I like sport-touring bikes with a punch, but utmost stability. V-MAX is too unpredictable for my taste (without mods). I am 6' and prefer to ride 'semi-upright' as opposed to leaning forward for a race. I have kids who love to ride on the back, so that's also consideration.

From what I read so far, the FJR1300 seems to have all the right goodies!
Sradek, I'm a little ways southwest of Philly. If you want, we could meet up some time soon, you could eyeball and ass-test my FJR. If you're not too squidly, maybe I could let you take it for a short spin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the technical term is BRAKES :D :D !

Best Regards,

Shane
What 'coaster brakes' :eek: ?

I made a mistake buying a 2006 V-MAX. I didn't do enough research, but bought it on a whim / impulse. I loved the bike when I saw it, but didn't test ride it.

Well, those of you who know a V-MAX will know that the bike is a classic and a power plant, but it needs too many mods to get into a stable shape :-( Anyway, make a mistake and learn in this case ...

I am now thinking of buying a FJR.

I am going to test drive it at a Yamaha road show soon, but I also wanted to hear from you guys (or girls) here.

Advice me please based on following.

I have ridden bikes since I was 17. Started off with a 250, 350, 550, 600, then this V-MAX. I like sport-touring bikes with a punch, but utmost stability. V-MAX is too unpredictable for my taste (without mods). I am 6' and prefer to ride 'semi-upright' as opposed to leaning forward for a race. I have kids who love to ride on the back, so that's also consideration.

From what I read so far, the FJR1300 seems to have all the right goodies!
Sradek, I'm a little ways southwest of Philly. If you want, we could meet up some time soon, you could eyeball and ass-test my FJR. If you're not too squidly, maybe I could let you take it for a short spin :)
That would be great! :clapping: Pls check your email.