I took the plunge!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome!You can also check here for SoCal rides.
Thanks Rogue! Notice I did not butcher the spelling of your name this time. I'm off at 0700 tomorrow for the long drive up North to pick up the FJR. I'll be spending one night up there, and be back Thursday night. I'll post some pics (if I can figure it out) Friday.

B)

:yahoo: Hey guys (and Gals). I am new to the site, and really want an FJR. I have been riding sport bikes all my life, and at over 40 years of age, I am ready to take it easier on my body and get a Sport Tourer. I am finding I really enjoy the longer rides. I just took my 2004 R1 on a 1400 mile ride up Northern California, all through Gold country, and the ride was incredible. My Brother and I like to do a ride like this at least twice per year, and I have been suffering with the riding position of a total Sport Bike. My neck hurts, by ass gets on fire from the underseat exhaust, and it's hard on my wrists and arms. I have decided the FJR is the best all-around bike for a guy who does not need 180 HP, but still wants a bike to have fun in the turns, and I am thniking the FJR would be WAY more comfortable than an R1. Like night and day different. Having said that, I sold the R1 last night. Done. Gone. So I started to look at used 05 FJR's, thinking an 06 would be over 15K OTD. I have been looking all morning, and found a brand new 06 A model here in California for a GREAT OTD price. I bought it! They have my deposit, approved for financing, and I will be putting 7500 down on the bike, so the payments will be pretty small. My Family and I will be driving 400 miles to pick it up, and I will ride it home. I was willing to get an 05, but the deal I got on the 06 was that good. Yes, it's a little more than I wanted to spend (10K on a used bike, perhaps an 05), but hopefully you all here will agree I will be very happy with a new 06! Thanks for a GREAT web site here, and I will be sure to post pics when I pick her up (probably as early as tommorow).
When you ride up North here, make sure to get ahold of us Norcal FJR riders and let us show you some of our favorite rides, and invite you and your bro (and sig other since you can ride 2up now) over for a bbq!

When you ride up North here, make sure to get ahold of us Norcal FJR riders and let us show you some of our favorite rides, and invite you and your bro (and sig other since you can ride 2up now) over for a bbq!

Very cool. We go up 5 to 99 to 70 to 89 every year. It is an incredible ride up by Lassen, all the way to Tahoe, over Monitor Pass, down to Yosemite, Mammmoth Lakes, etc... I will look you up! BBQ always sounds great. I'm off to go pick up the FJR now!

Thanks.

Hey trmn8er, welcome to the asylum. I also came from an '04 R1 to the FJR. Most I ever did in one day on the R1 was 630 miles. At 60 y.o. I was a hurtin' puppy the next day.

I got my 1300A in April and have put over 8,000 enjoyable miles on it so far. Have I missed my R1? Not a bit.

Hey trmn8er, welcome to the asylum. I also came from an '04 R1 to the FJR. Most I ever did in one day on the R1 was 630 miles. At 60 y.o. I was a hurtin' puppy the next day.
I got my 1300A in April and have put over 8,000 enjoyable miles on it so far. Have I missed my R1? Not a bit.
Gary, I will miss the R1, as it was easily the best Sport bike I have had, and I've had a few. For the riding I see myself doing now, this is my new favorite bike. I don't need to tell any of you how great these bikes are. Here is a picture or two of my new 06 FJRA. I just got back into town after picking it up yesterday. :yahoo:

Test%20047.JPG

Test%20054.JPG

Test%20048.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats & Welcome!

Where in SoCal are you located?

Plenty of us down here, you're bound to be near one of us!
I am in South Ontario, almost Mira Loma, near 60 and 15. Do you all meet at Chaparell? I would like to meet for a ride.
Hey, you're down there by all the cows! Mooooooooooooooooooo! :p

I've been here in Rancho Cucamonga for 8 years now and escrow closed TODAY on our first house--in Huntington Beach! Woo FREAKING Hoo! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

So y'all might find me out this way again--indeed, I'll be working in ONT 3 days/week near the 15 & 10, but I'm outta the 909 now, baybee!

Ok, enough of that.

Congrats on the bike! I've got an '05 which I bought because I wanted to get back into riding but I wrecked too hard too many times when I was young and immortal for the Ducati riding position and also wanted something the wife could ride comfortably on the back of. Great bike, great fun!

Enjoy the gang here, though you'll want to watch out for a few of the more colorful characters <HACKTWNHACK>. B)

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA (Moving in 8 days!)

Enjoy the gang here, though you'll want to watch out for a few of the more colorful characters <HACKTWNHACK>. B) Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA (Moving in 8 days!)
I've seen him...even had lunch with him. He didn't seem all that colorful to me. More like bland and white (or, if you prefer, pink). :blink: :lol:

Oh man, Orangevale, he was in our backyard!

Congratulations!

Thanks Mike. It was a haul to go up there to get the bike, but they had the bike I wanted, I did not order the bike, and the deal was less than I could get it for down here. I mean WAY less. So it worked out. Now I need to change the oil tomorrow. Do I need to pull the bottom plastic off? I did not see the drain plug when I glanced under it today. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
So it worked out. Now I need to change the oil tomorrow. Do I need to pull the bottom plastic off? I did not see the drain plug when I glanced under it today. ;)
The drain plug is on the bottom left side of the engine, just ahead of the sight glass.