Icon Barrier Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
clicky

If you are looking for cold weather gloves... don't buy these.

They are however petty nice for mild climate riding. 60+ They seem like they offer pretty good protection from hand damage in the event of a crash, and are pretty comfortable. For 26.95 with shipping, they are a good deal. Just not for cold weather like advertised.

I wore them yesterday in 45 degree temps for 20 minutes and my finger tips just about froze off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you're in my budget range. One question: Do you have hand guards on the bike?

and...To what max warm temp do you think these would be comfortable?

No hand guards. I do have heated hand grips, but they are broken right now. The least of my concearns at this point.

I don't think I'd wear them in anything lower than 60, maybe 55.

and...To what max warm temp do you think these would be comfortable?

I bought a pair too, and I think they'd be ok up to 80, but it's too soon to tell. The material on the fingers is pretty thin, but the back of the hand is very thick and protective, the palm has lots of leather on it also, and some non-skid stuff too.

For 20 bucks I can't complain, but I wont wear them below 55 degrees un-guarded.

I can take some snapshots, but alas, I don't have anyplace to upload them. I can e-mail them if you want to make the photos public.

Tom

I think I'm just gonna crack and order some. Barring, of course, Mr. Toe jumping in on the purchase and collapsing the whole supply-and-demand structure. ;)

Just wait til I make my purchase, Toe, then you can spring in and pick up the remaining inventory for about $7.

Just wait til I make my purchase, Toe, then you can spring in and pick up the remaining inventory for about $7.
No worries, I'm fixed up pretty good on gloves. And tankbags, now. Even picked up a new driver

today, on a bid that registered with one second left. Life is good!

I have a hard time buying anything from a company that makes these:

blingglv_lng_blu_310x310.jpg

and these:

icwmnkttychps07.jpg

If you are looking for cold weather gloves, by the way, Dennis Kirk has the Icon Patrol Gloves -- which used to retail for about $90 -- on sale for $22. As Bounce notes, they have that Icon kind-of-squidly look, but I poked around a lot of forums (forii?) and people who owned them were universally pleased. I ordered a pair when I picked up the cheapo tankbag they also have on closeout. Link.

I bought a pair of ICON gloves that look similar to the ones Bounce posted except they are all black. They were supposed to be cold weather waterproof gloves. They have a removable cotton liner. The liners don't really make them any warmer so I generally leave them out.

They are actually pretty comfortable for everyday use in warm to cool temperatures. Not good below 40 degrees. Also, they are NOT waterproof. I even sprayed them with silicon waterproofing that works very well on my boots but the gloves still soaked through in the rain.

I just got a pair of Orina 118 gloves (a Christmas gift from one of my daughters). They took three months to get here and arrived yesterday. The note in the package apologized for the late delivery and said that they were the last of these gloves. Anyway, they appear very well made and warm. They are suppose to be waterproof but I won't find out until spring.

I will wear the ICONs in warm weather and carry the Orinas for wet weather and cold days.

I got my Icon Barrier gloves from the Dennis Kirk clearance bin & second the cold weather caveat. Mild weather is OK. However, the two-piece finger construction is not just weird, it's stupid & at some level painful. I only wear mine when I will be on the bike 30 minutes or less because the spandex finger tips cause my fingers to go numb (and, yes, I purchased the correct size of gloves, and, no, I'm not a wimp). Other than that, they offer lots of crash protection (tested by me under slow gitoff conditions). Very nice grippy material on the palms that help with throttle control/pressure (although I'm now sold on gel palms as the only way to fly). Don't spend more than the $20.

I have a hard time buying anything from a company that makes these:
icwmnkttychps07.jpg
Now, what's wrong with those? Placed on the right topless dancer, those would be quite becomming.

yeah, and you have to post pics.
I don't know. A very high percentage (like 100) of guys who posted NWS pics of their SO's have crashed. I'm gonna play the superstitious card on this one. You'll have to use your imagination.

Disappointing, but I'd have to agree with you. Not to mention the "what if's" should you be busted while posting such. That would most definately bring some bad karma. And probably a few knots on the head. On this one, we will totally forgive your total self-centeredness and greed. It's a good thing this time.