If You Could Only Have 5 Motorcycles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lesse:

My FJR...I'd like a '14, but really just for the color. So, why change?

KTM 450 EXC

BMW F800GS

110/100 Honda/Kawi/Yami dirt bike for my oldest girl

50cc-70cc dirt bike for the other two to learn on.

Fjr. Any year.

Gold wing 2000 to current

Honda skirt cut 50 from the sixties.

Indian Chief from the 40's.

Boss Hoss. Just because.

1. Honda Ruckus

2. Honda Grom

3. Aprilia Scarabeo 200

4. Hyosung GT250

5. Razor EcoSmart Metro

bike.gif

Now you're talk'n, 5 is a good start. I just need to cement shoe my g/f down in the middle of Seneca Lake!

Ooops. Well, that was off the record of course.

This one is simple... I'd keep my '03 FJR, then bring back my '02 Bandit 1200, '07 KLR 650, '99 KLR 250, and '06 WR 250 F.

This is my current life thinking..... as you get older and realize the lessons you've learned, your thinking will change (nothing wrong with that).

1. It's not like motorcycling is the only hobby I have in retirement. I have a life and many many other things keep me busy..... motorcycling is big though. Really enjoy woodworking, but it's second fiddle at the moment.

2. There isn't room to store all the bikes and related spares and paraphernalia I'd want, and I don't want to spend all my time building workshops/storage. BTDT this year with a new shop and it takes a lot of time (think one year project from start to finish). It severely limited my riding.....

3. I'm getting older, won't be able to do all my hobbies forever, so would like to actually stop being in construction/moving/building/outfitting shops/renovation mode. Need more time to ride and to build 'furniture'.

4. I don't want to be a collector, and I kinda hate owning bikes that will sit and not get ridden. I got the money, but don't necessarily want to 'waste' it on collector items. Wanna be half-assed practical

5. Feej and V-strom will take a lot of my time. Magna V-65 should go in the spring, shame, it's a classic.

6. Lessons learned from the past, that 82 Nighthawk that I always wanted and got, that old '58 Norton Dunstall I had...... I am less interested in old technology brakes, etc. and want to ride more safely.

That said, wouldn't mind a real dirt machine on the light side such as WR250, an old 73 Honda CB350 project bike, a Can-Am Spyder just because, a new red Feej......

And retain the right to change my mind at any time. In reality though, I'd like to limit myself to 3 or maybe 4 bikes. Having said that, he or she who dies with the most toys wins.

Need to retire and build a big shop first...sooner rather than later!

1) FJR 2009 / 14ES in black - Got the first one.

2) Super Tenere / GSA-W fully farkled in black - have the former, really, Really, REALLY want the latter.
no.gif

3) GL1800, Traxxion equipped.

4) GSXR 750 Track Bike - Hopefully I DON'T put my eye out with this one.

5) KTM 300XC, something to explore single track.

--G

1. FJR Es 2014 love the red

2. super tenere

3. Gl1800

4. Suzuki burgman 400

5. Victory cross country tour

Last edited by a moderator:
1. 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 - Got it.
2. 2012 BMW K1600GT - Got it.

3. 2009 BMW F800GS - Got it.

4. 2015 BMW R1200GS - Next purchase!

5. 1974 BMW R90S - To replace my beloved "Dieter" I sold in 1986 to get a BMW R80RT, selling mein Dieter was the stupidest move I've ever made. jes' sayin' and nuff said!
...and I was seriously thinking of selling one of my /2's to you.

Oh well.

Not on your list, eh?
flirt.gif

Already have a wing and a FJR so I would add.

pre 07 KLR

Mid 70's BMW airhead of some sort

Some kind of Harley so I have chrome to polish.

Simple minds have simple needs
Now this list I get!

1. 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 - Got it.
2. 2012 BMW K1600GT - Got it.

3. 2009 BMW F800GS - Got it.

4. 2015 BMW R1200GS - Next purchase!
5. BMW R60/2 - formerly owned by dcarver but in the pipeline to be sold to his best buddy BeemerDonS!

5a. 1974 BMW R90S - To replace my beloved "Dieter" I sold in 1986 to get a BMW R80RT, selling mein Dieter was the stupidest move I've ever made. jes' sayin' and nuff said!
...and I was seriously thinking of selling one of my /2's to you.

Oh well.

Not on your list, eh?
flirt.gif

Now this list I get!
Fixed.

RaY - totally agree with you. No show toys for Pants. If you don't have time to play with the toy, and money/knowledge to maintain it, I say don't buy it. That said, even retired and very weathly, with other hobbies and interest, I'd be hard pressed to ride 5 bikes.

Of course this is just dreaming.

There's a fairly consistent pattern forming here. Everyone picks an FJR (no brainer there). Most pick a dual sport or off road bike. Many also pick a classic UJM or at least an upright from the past.

Neat - please keep 'em coming.

I had to give this one some thought and still could not come up with definite answers. Sorry, I tried.

1. A Sport Tourer. This could be an FJR, ST1300, BMW R1200RT, Triumph Trophy... The point is that this type of bike suits me and I cannot imagine not having one. Some I like better than others and I could have listed more that fit.

2. Harley Electra Glide, post '08 frame. Anything from a Street Glide to an Ultra Classic. I am not ashamed to say I "Get It". Harley would never be my primary bike but I always wanted one.

3. A Dual Sport. Right now a CRF250L is the front runner but any one of the modern dual sports from 250 to 650 would work. Kawasaki to KTM, I don't really care

4. 1981 Honda CB900 Custom. You never get over your first love.

5. Hyperbike. This could be any of the big liter bikes. BMW S1000RR, Aprilia, Honda, R1, really does not matter. I just want something that can scare me.

I would like the option to add on things that I know I don't want to keep long term. Things like a Moto-Guzzi Stelvio, a Triumph Bonneville, a new Indian, a Royal Enfield. Things that I can sell with no love attached.

My list changes daily but here we go...

Touring - BMW K1600GT

Sport - Triumph Speed Triple R

Dirt - Honda CRF450X

Adventure - BMW R1200GS

Cruiser - Ducati Diavel Carbon

I just like to ride. Not a throttle jockey, so no need for a go-fast bike.

Can't think of aything else that I'd like to have, unless it would be a RELIABLE Moto Guzzi - and I don't think THAT's going to ever happen.

Here is our current inventory.

2013 Harley FLHR Road King

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

2012 Yamaha FJR1300

2010 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing

2008 Yamaha VStar1300

2008 Harley FLSTF Fat Boy.

If the Missus didn't ride with me... the Road King and the Wing would be history.

Well since practicality is out the window:

K1600 (yes I would rather have this than an FJR, it's just that the FJR is a much better value)

1978 R100RT

110 cu/in Shower-Head CVO HD Whatever-the-hell-they-are-calling-their-top-of-the-line-tourer-now

Ural 2WD

2014 ZX14 - Supercharged, 300 HP

The two in the garage are plenty (FJR & Wingabago).

But since we're talking fantasy...

I fell in love with this beautiful Super Blackbird as we were walking past a shop in Budapest. It was a silver 2006 with about 9000km on the clock, and the asking price was only 1,750,000 HUF (about $7800).

She could eat crackers in my garage any time!

FJR - own it

Husky TE 310 - own it

Vincent Black Shadow

Metisse 8v café

Either a Tuono or MVAugusta

Sheryl Crow once sang about "not having what you want but wanting what you got." I also want my Triumph and my Matchless, but would trade them for a Metisse or a Vincent in a New York minute...

A yellow VFR with gear driven cams, a mild pipe, serious bar risers, and hard luggage would be a close 6th for me right now. I'd use it for shorter (less than 1000 mile) tours.