If you want a simple FJR throttle lock, try this.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They stop making the Vistacruze and the NEP throttle locks? I saw the NEP lock at the dealer for $19.00 awhile back.

You buy a $10,000 + motorcycle and wear a $400 helmet but suddenly cheap out on something that sounds to have some safety issues just to save a few bucks?

Wouldn't this be shoving the throttle tube against the inside of the switch box? Seems it would wear out eventually.

I spent a whole six dollars on a Crampbuster which seems to work pretty well. (although not really a "throttle lock)

Guess I don't understand.
I have a VistaCruise on my Shadow, and I love it. I decided to NOT go for it on the FJR, because it seems everyone's installation involves drilling into the switch box, and it winds up not looking great.

The wearing of the throttle tube against the switch box is not a concern, as it would simply mean you have to tighten the lock a bit more, or put in an extra washer.

Really the only drawback is that you can't flip a switch to instantly disengage like you can on the vista. Like the vista, it doesn't put so much friction that you can't close the throttle quickly. I simply don't use it in traffic. When blasting down the interstate through the desert, it comes in quite handy though.

They stop making the Vistacruze and the NEP throttle locks? I saw the NEP lock at the dealer for $19.00 awhile back.

You buy a $10,000 + motorcycle and wear a $400 helmet but suddenly cheap out on something that sounds to have some safety issues just to save a few bucks?

Wouldn't this be shoving the throttle tube against the inside of the switch box? Seems it would wear out eventually.

I spent a whole six dollars on a Crampbuster which seems to work pretty well. (although not really a "throttle lock)

Guess I don't understand.
I have a VistaCruise on my Shadow, and I love it. I decided to NOT go for it on the FJR, because it seems everyone's installation involves drilling into the switch box, and it winds up not looking great.

The wearing of the throttle tube against the switch box is not a concern, as it would simply mean you have to tighten the lock a bit more, or put in an extra washer.

Really the only drawback is that you can't flip a switch to instantly disengage like you can on the vista. Like the vista, it doesn't put so much friction that you can't close the throttle quickly. I simply don't use it in traffic. When blasting down the interstate through the desert, it comes in quite handy though.

I do like yours with the little lever thing. Don't get me wrong, was not saying I thought it was a bad idea, quite the contrary, just curious WHY when there are devices that work the same and are easier to use.

Unfortunetely for me the thing might be useless when I have my V-Strom knuckle guards on.....as the weights on the bars serve as mounting points.

I actualy been toying with the idea of a pressure sensitive grip lock. Squeezing the grip slightly causes it to turn as normal... But it locks as soon as you take your hand off the grip.

Phatjax, put a little teflon tape on the treads of the cap screw. The tape tightens up the sloppy threads and keeps them from backing off so readily when the lock is not engaged. Then hand tighten the screw until there is just the slightest bit of resistance. Mine will then stay put.
Yeah, I did that right off the bat, and it doesn't quite do the trick. For those looking for pictures, I posted this project on the Forge @ Local Motors...
Phatjax, I looked at the pics. The handle you added takes up some of the bolt length. Try a slightly longer bolt. The added length may give more thread contact and stop or slow the loosing. Also, the washer in the pics is large. There is a 1" washer that fits perfectly into the opening.

I have an '08 also, and I tried it this weekend and I must say it works fabulously. Thanks for putting this on the forum so I didn't spend the $180 for the throttlemeister solution! I did an 8200 mile 20 day trip this summer and a month later my right shoulder/arm developed serious pain issues. I think this throttle lock will allow me to do more long trips without the help of a chiropractor afterwards!

I have an '08 also, and I tried it this weekend and I must say it works fabulously. Thanks for putting this on the forum so I didn't spend the $180 for the throttlemeister solution! I did an 8200 mile 20 day trip this summer and a month later my right shoulder/arm developed serious pain issues. I think this throttle lock will allow me to do more long trips without the help of a chiropractor afterwards!

Tigerpaw78, I appreciate the feedback. I am amazed at how well this works for the price of a washer. I understand the chiropractor. I get pretty squirmy between fuel ups. You may have more miles than I do and know every trick. A couple of things I have noted in using the mod...You cannot over tighten it. When you want to restict throttle return, tightening it all the way simply puts the weight back where it originally was. The throttle tube cannot move more than the thickness of the washer, which is what it needs. I have quit trying to adjust. Just snug up the weight and go. If you are on a long flat, it will hold position much better if you adjust the throttle by cutting back slightly instead of increasing to the set point. In hills you are adjusting anyway, but it is nice not to fight the throttle return spring.