Ignacio's Law #1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
In the 10 years I've been on this Yamaha FJR forum I've always marveled and wondered why some people seem hellbent on talking about one brand in particular. I've come up with the following:

Ignacio's Law #1:

As an online motorcycle discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Harley Davidson approaches 1

And a tip-of-the-beanie to Mike Godwin that I completely ripped this off from.

Let the meme stew.....

Ig

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Ignacio, we gotta talk bad about somebody. Harley owners and BMW owners are the easiest targets. Both of them have their distinctive, stereotypical cult followings and dress requirements. It is not the bike so much as the folks that ride them.

Besides, you don't want us to make fun of ourselves do you? Really, how many Yamaha jokes have you heard? Yamaha motorcycles and riders just don't work for comedy.

For example:

Have you heard the one about the two FJR riders? Yeah, they rode their bikes all day. They didn't wash them, they didn't polish them, they even rode them in the rain!

See? Yamaha just does not provide good comedy material and it is difficult to put them in a negative light and still tell the truth. We HAVE to use Harleys and BMWs for comparison/comedy relief.

Well Ignacio, we gotta talk bad about somebody. Harley owners and BMW owners are the easiest targets. Both of them have their distinctive, stereotypical cult followings and dress requirements. It is not the bike so much as the folks that ride them.
Besides, you don't want us to make fun of ourselves do you? Really, how many Yamaha jokes have you heard?
I just really doubt that Yamahas or FJRs experience any similar law or corrolary on Harley forums. It's a curious asynchronous phenomenon.

I would have thought there were more "characters" with the Harley Brand...but I've been around here long enough that I have my doubts that they have us "beat" in that category.

I have no problem with Harleys...as long as they stay in their bars and off our curvy roads, 300 at a time.

I just really doubt that Yamahas or FJRs experience any similar law or corrolary on Harley forums. It's a curious asynchronous phenomenon.
That is because on the Harley forums no other bike exists. How do I know? I work with two guys who just bought new Harleys. One 2014 Street Glide, one 2015 Road Glide. Until they got those bikes when they saw me on this forum at work they called it "The FAG forum". Once they got their new bikes they needed information. I suggested they search for HD forums. Now, they are into their HD forums big time. I do a lot of reading over their shoulder and for the most part the HD guys don't acknowledge any other motorcycle. They are so ignorant of the motorcycling world they don't even know anything about their own bike, much less any other brand.

The common response from a hard core Harley rider owner to anything about another brand of motorcycle? "I wouldn't ride that. It ain't a Harley".

That level of ignorance deserves ridicule.

There are exceptions of course. Don Carver comes to mind as a notable exception.

That is because on the Harley forums....
All I hear is justification and jibber jabber confirming the law....

I'm out.
wink.png

I am amazed that HARLEY comes up on ANY motorcycle forum. I mean, doesn't buying your bike at a clothing boutique kinda negate calling it a MOTORCYCLE at all?
bike.gif

It's a mainly American phenomena.

In Europe, far fewer people ride HD, and the ones that do are primarily bikers who have made a choice. They fit very well with riders of all the other brands.

Here in the US the rider profile (of Harleys), is very different. Many of them are not bikers, they bought into a lifestyle, or at least an image of one. If you happen to be a motorcyclist for whom "image" matters, and that images projects your core values of freedom, exceptionalism, and shiny bits, then you will invite ridicule. If at the same time you extoll the virtues of a motorcycle that has few ... you know ... virtues, and has a dominant market position, then that ridicule can reach a crescendo.

Personally I am happy to see as many as possible on two wheels, whatever the brand of choice .... but leave the attitude of superiority at home and just enjoy the ride.

By the way .... it can get messy on a forum like this, or in the LD Riding community because the guys here who buy Harley are bikers first. They don't represent the brand or the breed and should be spared the snide comments as much as possible ... On the other hand, thin skins are always amusing :)

For "individualists" or "outlaw" bikers, they sure have a lot of conformity.

That said, I ride with two of 'em every now and then; a nice husband and wife team with good skills. They gave me a naked woman totem that clips to my brake line ("Rub her for luck!") that was dutifully transferred to the FJR and remains an essential part of my pre-ride ritual.

Who is this Harley Davidson? A friend of mine who is gay, says he dated him. He said he loved Tassels and butt-less pants, he said he called them chaps, which makes sense, being he was gay and all (not that there is anything wrong with that) he probably tried a lot of different chaps. He also had a fascination with potatoes, said everywhere he would go - all you heard was potato potato potato - I suppose that gets old..

It's a mainly American phenomena.
In Europe, far fewer people ride HD, and the ones that do are primarily bikers who have made a choice. They fit very well with riders of all the other brands....
As far as I can tell, there are two types of HD owners in the UK, roughly half try to emulate "The Image", the others are bikers who, for whatever reason, have chosen to have a Harley. And are deaf, or soon will be. I'm sure that's one of the reasons they are so underpowered, so no-one need be stuck getting deafened behind them.

BMW riders - about three quarters follow their image, the rest are normal. Or as near normal as any motorcyclist. Some of the BMW dealerships are a bit strange. One near me has all parking near the entrance labelled "BMWs Only". I have to admit the few occasions I've been there, I've ignored the sign. No-one said a word. Not even in the store when I was trying to get a test ride on a BMW. (This was in my pre-Yamaha days, so no accusations of treason, please.) Hated the BMW I eventually tried, but that's another story.

As to Ignacio's First Law, I think it depends on how many Fridays a thread is active over.

I've never so much as sat on a HD.... I seldom wave. I like girls.

It's a bit sad really, but I already have found a corollary:

Ignacio's Corollary #1 to Ignacio's Law #1:

When an online motorcycle discussion first involves Harley Davidsons, the probability of the same discussion adding BMW then approaches 1 at an even quicker rate

It's a bit sad really, but I already have found Corollary #1 to Ignacio's Law:
When an online motorcycle discussion first involves Harley Davidsons, the probability of the same discussion adding BMW then approaches 1 at an even quicker rate
Well since it is The Law, I guess we have to obey it. I suppose this means we are now required to mention these two brands in every thread? Since it is Ignacio's Law he gets to decide the penalty for breaking it.

Ignacio, the winter must be getting to you as well. Does the mention of other motorcycle brands really bother you or are you just making an observation?

Does the mention of other motorcycle brands really bother you or are you just making an observation?
It's not like some new forum rule...it's simply an observation of our universe. It doesn't matter whether you try and break it or something or not, but that forum conversations are predictable, have followed this trend, and I'm sure will happen again as long as there are motorcycle forums. IIt's not good or bad...it's just a law of the known universe like gravity, blackholes, and that there's no sex in the Champagne Room.

By putting it in 24 points bold red font it is perhaps cathartic for me...much like when Godwin had his law written up as an article about memes in Wired.

<dry>I'm hoping one day to dress up in a tux and have a conversation with the King of Norway about my cosmic insight that you all have had a special privilege to see firsthand as it was discovered.</dry>