ignition disabler "chip key"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part of the reason for lack of discussion is that the disabler is not available to the majority of the North American market. We can't even get it as an option in the US (just like a lack of color choice).

It might be discussed on the UK forum but the traffic is so light there that it might not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting topic........for a couple years I followed the C14 forum back in 2008 and the hilarity that ensued with the magic "FOB"...........people were losing them or washing them and getting stranded all over. Or the battery would die in the fob 200 miles from home. One of the nuances of the fob was that if the bike were running along at 80mph and the fob dropped on the pavement the bike wouldn't miss a beat til you shut it off. One guy had that happen when he stuck the fob in his pocket and in shuffling around with the zipper open it blew out along the highway, and he was fine til he hit the gas station. Bike was turned into the proverbial "brick". He actually went back and walked along a few miles of the road he was so desperate. Got one of the buddies to bring the spare and they then covered an even bigger section of road and never saw a thing. As far as I know the hysteria and hatred of the fob began to get fairly bad PR and they actually turned it into a pay forum, and shut out the general public. Dunno if its changed today or not.

Having rented a BMW for a week that had a fob system, I have to say I would rather have the chipped key.

Less to lose.

But the concept of programming the ECU to the key instead of the other way around just baffles me!

My understanding is that the red key is uniquely programmed to the ECU. The black keys have unique codes within them. The ECU can be programmed to respond to the two (and only two) black keys' codes, the programming proceedure needs the presence of the red key to "prove" the legitimacy. At any time the ECU can be reprogrammed to respond to any two black keys provided its red key is available.

I guess a fob transponder can be cloned from a black key so that the ECU thinks one of its keys is present.

There is no battery in the key (unlike a car), instead the key contains a transponder. The key's electronics are totally moulded in plastic so there is no risk of water ingress, and, as an integral part of the key, there is nothing to lose while you ride down the road.

Never given me a problem, I've never heard of any FJR's immobiliser give a problem provided the key was available (unlike what I've heard about the C14).

My red key is tucked away safely at home together with extras such as the side-case location covers and the third lock. I use one black key regularly. If I'm away from home I carry the second black key as a spare on a neck loop (together with spare disc-lock key and house door key). If you ride two-up, give the second to the passenger, they can access the side-cases without bothering you. The bike will happily run with either black key.

I guess a fob transponder can be cloned from a black key so that the ECU thinks one of its keys is present.
I guessed that would be possible as well and lo and behold, it can be done and at a reasonable cost.

The whole idea of having to track the Magic Red Key through the repeated resale of the bike just seems like a PITA.

Why not just do it like the car industry? Code the key to the ECU.

Anyway, problem solved...very happy :)

In respect to the Kawasaki C14. Although I have little use for the KIPASS system. Some of these statements are somewhat true. In respect to the examples given, I also remember (somewhat). But here's the thing. On the Kawasaki Concours14 KIPASS. Yes it requires a fob (or chip for the purpose of this discussion). But if you the fob falls out of your pocket, the C14 will lose it's connection if you will. Loss of communication will trigger one of the C14's famous warnings that totally take over your dash display (making all other displays disappear unless you go through the reset procedures). A loss of fob communication will trigger a "No Transponder" warning on the dash panel. Unless you never look down at the dash panel, there's no way you can miss this huge flashing warning. So unless you totally ignore it, it's kind of hard to be 100 miles away when you find out. But being ignorant to the meaning of the warning and ignoring it could create such a situation. One thing you cannot do is shut the bike off if such a warning arises. Doing so probably will create the situation of not being able to start the bike again (if the fob is indeed missing). But if the fob is indeed still with you, there should be other options.

The same warning is suppose to happen when you have a low battery in said fob. Although in my experience and others I know and have been present for. The fob may not give you a warning, but still make the KIPASS fail. Once again, an uniformed rider may not be able to figure this out. You would be surprised how many folks who own the bike might have no idea that the KIPASS works on both a passive and with an RFID back up recognition. So finding a low fob battery can be checked by simply trying RFID mode. And of course a simple battery problem can make it a major hassle trying to figure out why the key won't turn on. There's no turn the key on and get a click with a C14 to find out the battery is going dead.
angry01.gif

The 2010+ C14's only come with one passive/RIFD combination fob now (where as the 08-09 came with two). The 2010+ C14's now come with one passive & RFID combination fob and one RFID only (credit card style) fob. The RFID is what this threads titled {ignition disabler "chip key"} actually is. The difference between a key with a chip inserted like the Nissan Altima (as an example) has had since the 90's, (Other cars since the late 80's) and the KIPASS system is that the RFID is not in the key for KIPASS. But like a normal RFID key, it must be in very close proximity for the RFID to be read. The passive mode only has to be in a close proximity of the C14 of something like 5 feet.

I still personally dislike the C14's KIPASS system and prefer a motorcycle to have less unnecessary BS. Although I will admit that some convenience extras do make for a nicer experience most of the time. It's a fine line to walk between truly needed extras for that experience, and unnecessary technology purely for technologies sake. I prefer to limit the unnecessary BS that adds cost, complexity, weight, and lack of storage (or more bulk) to the motorcycle. How much your willing to accept or feel you want or need is of course subjective to each persons preference. Needless to say I like the FJR because it does limit the unnecessary BS. Obviously the FJR is more acceptable to me in that regards compared to bikes like the much over technology loaded BMW's or my past C14.

Although I do recommend the C14 to folks (even though my experience was less than stellar). I still find unnecessary BS like KIPASS to be necessary and a possible problem. For this reason, I'm never thrilled with such systems that add cost and complexity to the motorcycle. Especially on a motorcycle that probably has the majority of thefts being rolled or carried away to a waiting vehicle to whisk them away. Such systems make for very expensive and troublesome dilemmas for something as simple as a spare key. The aforementioned Altima needs to be done at the dealer. Prices or such missions of course can vary, but the latest I heard for a 2001 altima key was $120 plus $80 to program the key itself. And like the Kwasaski Concours14, you need the programmer to program the key. (the C14 needs the KDS3 programmer that probably only a Kawasaki dealer with spend the money on).

Plus in most of these programmings, you must bring every key in at the time of programing or the missing key will no longer work. Although the C14 only needs one working fob (either passive or RFID only) to program another unit to the bike. But if you lost all your fobs, it will cost you well over $1,000 to replace the ECU and such. All this so someone might not be able to start your bike.

Now in my experience, the only person (that I know of), who the {ignition disabler "chip key"} or in my case, the KIPASS system ever was prevented from starting and riding off with my C14 was myself. Rather than the trouble and expense of such unnecessary systems, I would prefer to just keep insurance on my bike. OF course this is just my opinion and not meant to influence anyone's decision on buying a bike.
innocent.gif

I got the red key and both black ones with my ex-cop bike at the auctions. Didn't even know to ask about this issue before stuck my grubby paw in the air. Looks like I dodged a bullet. Whew!
tonguesmiley.gif

I remember talking to a tow truck driver a few years back when I stopped on a ride.

He told me he towed 3 Connie 14's in the last week and a half because they died on the side of the road.

I'm never thrilled with such systems that add cost and complexity to the motorcycle. Especially on a motorcycle that probably has the majority of thefts being rolled or carried away to a waiting vehicle to whisk them away. Such systems make for very expensive and troublesome dilemmas for something as simple as a spare key.
I completely agree. The Conni system takes the stupidity to a whole new level.

The BMW 1200LT that I rented had a fob AND you had to press a button before starting. A huge PITA!

In my case I was able to use some adhesive type heat shrink tubing and "bond" the fob to the cut key. It works just like the original key and can't be lost while riding.

It's keep as a spare anyway.

I know that Yamaha want to sell you parts( a whole ECU and ignition lock!) but this is a case, they need to be better informed and not stick it to the customer to the tune of $1400 just for a lost key.

They should be able to figure this little trick out,...if I can!

Now if all the keys were lost, that's a different story.

In the end, unless it lowers my insurance rate, I think an ignition disabler is pointless on a motorcycle.