Ignition key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilddriver

Reaction score
My black ignition key has lost the code so I need help to get it working again using the master key to get the new code into the key! :unsure:

Use the red key to turn on the ignition for a few seconds. Remove the key and the security light should be flashing. At this point , while the light is flashing, insert the black key and the immobilizer system should register the key.

I think.

The immobiliser system doesn't often 'lose' codes AFAIK. Hopefully all you need to do is relearn the original key - but my personal experience (I had to have a key replaced under warranty when mine also 'forgot') you may well be in for a new key.

Good thing for me it was covered, because the keys are pretty expensive. Though there is a vendor from Singapore who shows up on Ebay from time to time selling transponder key blanks for US$35 or so shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bramfrank, when you go on extended rides, do you take the re-registering key with you? And if you do where do you keep it?
Me? I like to live dangerously.

Last year when we left for our annual road trip my buddy handed me his spare dongle (he rides a C14). I went without even a spare regular key. If I'd had issues I couldn't have bought a blank key if I'd needed one as they don't have the immobiliser system in the United States.

Besides, the owner's manual says to put the red key in a safe place. On the road doesn't seem to qualify as 'safe' to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bramfrank, when you go on extended rides, do you take the re-registering key with you? And if you do where do you keep it?
Don't have one myself, but the way I understand it if you lose the red key it cannot be replaced. If you ever needed it you would have to replace the immobiliser at a SIGNIFICANT expense. Best to keep the red key in a safe.