Ignition Switch on Backorder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanFJR

Reaction score
I was advised this morning from my dealer that the ignition switch is on backorder until June 25, 2009 so, I have my new 2007 that I purchased three weeks ago just sitting at the dealer and cannot take ownership of the bike. Yamaha will not let the dealership release the bike until the recall is completed. :angry2:

Yamaha will not let the dealership release the bike until the recall is completed. :angry2:
I find that very hard to believe. I'd place to call to Yamaha corporate and see if that's valid or not.

I'm thinking the dealer is holding the bike's release so they don't have to reschedule it in for the recall.

They'll make more $$ that way.

Yamaha will not let the dealership release the bike until the recall is completed. :angry2:
I find that very hard to believe. I'd place to call to Yamaha corporate and see if that's valid or not.

I'm thinking the dealer is holding the bike's release so they don't have to reschedule it in for the recall.

They'll make more $$ that way.
I'll buy it. It's a safety recall. Remember they told folks NOT to ride their FJR until it was performed? Imagine the liability on Yamaha should they have let a know defective product out with a safety issue before it was fixed and that issue caused bodily injury or death. No way are they letting that thing out the door until the proper fix has been completed.

Again, shame on the dealer for waiting until the last minute to do it.

Dean, you're now an official member of the infamous "waiters club".

Should of ordered that thing a while back. Talked to my dealer just now and he had ordered one the middle of May for another bike and said it was just released today. So guess I have a month to wait.

My new 08 is in getting the recall done today. The dealer sold it to me a month ago without the recall done. I asked them about it on my first service and they checked the database and said it needed to be done.

I'm tempted to do the Brodie fix even though I'll have the new switch.

Thank You...I will give the dealer this information first thing Wednesday morning and hopefully they can get one from them. :D

I went in to schedule the recall work in late May and the dealer said they had to order the parts. Monday they called to let me know that the parts were backordered until July 21. When conducting a safety recall shouldn't the manufacturer make sure there are enough parts on hand for all bikes covered by the recall?

Yes they should. If mine goes out on me and I have to go for several weeks without a fix thats gonna be brutal...Surely the dealers can do some research and hunt the part down for you through other yamaha dealers that may be overstocked?

"Snip"When conducting a safety recall shouldn't the manufacturer make sure there are enough parts on hand for all bikes covered by the recall?
You'd sure think they would.

But I feared they wouldn't, instead making sure the production line of new FJR's came first.

I rode my FJR in to my dealer last winter as soon as I got wind of this recall.

(It was 33 degrees, and people going down the Interstate were looking at me like I was nuts!)

I just bought an 09 yesterday , had them check and they said the switch did not need the recall, sounds like any of the newer ones are being taken care of before release.

I called my dealer 3 weeks ago to schedule mine to be replaced and told it was on back order. Seems pretty crappy that yamaha can't stock parts for a safety recall. Anyway, I cried to my dealer that I'm leaving for a trip on July 3rd and don't want to be 2000 miles from home and have it break on me. I don't know what he did, but he called yesterday and said he was able to get one. Bike is going in on Friday to be fixed.

Glad I called dealer the first day it was officially announced by Yamaha. Had part in stock in 5 days and on bike the next day.