I'M Buying A Sleeping Bag, Any Recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
The bag will be for use on motorcycle trips. I have only used conventional bags in the past, but wonder if mummy bags work well. Looking for something that goes down to 30 degrees and takes up little space. I wonder what others use and why you chose that bag over something else. Looks like there are lots of ways to go with pads. Mainly need something for a less than perfect back that also takes up a small amount of space.

Did buy the mummy bag made by Eddie Bauer from Target.

Was making my ss1k to CA, and picked up a clearance tag item of 60% off.

Supposed to be good down to 0 degrees. It's pretty darn solid.

I would say, just shop around and find a quality bag on sale...

As has already been suggested, you can't beat the REI outlet for a good quality bag at a good price. Don't buy a bag that isn't on sale, anywhere. The biggest question you will face is down fill vs synthetic fill. Obviously you can't beat down when it comes to insulation value relative to weight and packing volume - so long as it remains dry! I've never been a down guy for fear of my bag getting wet and my being left out in the cold, literally. But given the space that a synthetic bag takes up, particularly if you are touring 2-up (where weight also becomes an issue) I've been tempted to try a down bag. One piece of advice that someone gave me that I think is good is, if you are a guy of average height and you are looking at a mummy bag, consider buying a "woman's" bag in "tall" length for a bit more room - they are reportedly cut bigger in the hips. You don't have to worry about having to go with a pink-colored sleeping bag, they are usually available in the same colors as the men's bags! As far as sleeping a sleeping pad, the Thermarest self-inflating (not foam - too big) sleeping pads are good - and if you get something less than full length (except when it's cold all you really need is a pad tha goes down to below your hips or, perhaps, knees), don't take up a lot of space.

My wife and I picked up some Eureka Silver City backpacking mummy bags to use on the bike. They pack down small enough that I can easily find a place for them (I seem to remember putting both bags, backpacking pillows, and some other crap in one saddlebag).

They weren't too expensive, and they are 'rated' down to 30 F. Now, an unfortunate change in the weather whilst camping one year actually exposed us to temperatures in the 30s, and it was COLD, but I think that in general, that 30 F rating means that, if you wear a sweatshirt and long underwear to bed, you'll survive.

Also, these sleeping bags partially zip together. For shared warmth! (There's not enough extra room in these bags for anything else :huh: )

As for sleeping pads, are you going to be camping alone? I've got a thermarest for camping by myself, but I found that an air mattress and small battery pump takes up the same amount of space as 2 thermarest pads, so when we're both going camping, I just pack that.

My full-length Thermarest doesn't take up too much space. I am able to fit the Thermarest, a hiker-style sleeping bag, and the Eureka! tent (without poles) in my SHAD 45l top case with enough room left over for a ball cap and some chewing gum.

This is what I bought for a bag after 25 years being out of it.

Sleeping Bag

I buy the tall as it gives more room and the length is nice to pre warm cloths.

This is the pad I use and it is very nice and packs small for the comfort.

Sleeping Pad

Being out of this for so long I was amazed at prices, but you truly get what you pay for on camping gear.

I've been sleeping outside as part of my job for the last 20 years. These are, to date, the best bags I've found.

https://wiggys.com/

I purcahsed a two part sleep system and the smaller bag of the two is great for motorcycle camping, and compresses into a very small package.

In Idaho the weather can change rapidly and the fill he uses in these bags are the best I've found for being able to keep you comfortable in a wide temperature range.

These are also the bags, at the time I bought mine, the military uses. I can't sleep in a mummy bag and these bags are big enough to allow you to stretch out and get comfortable.

The bag will be for use on motorcycle trips. I have only used conventional bags in the past, but wonder if mummy bags work well. Looking for something that goes down to 30 degrees and takes up little space.
I bought a down sleeping bag from CAMPMOR and it was one of the best investments I ever made. It packs into a 7 x14 inch bag and is rated to 20 degrees (but I think 30 degrees is more realistic). The only downside to down is that you have to keep it dry which has not been a problem, I usually put it inside my side case or put it in a waterproof bag. With such a compact sleeping bag, I can put all my camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, mattress, and pillow) into one 30 inch bag that sits across the rear seat.

I don't like the confinement of a mummy bag, myself; my legs just feel too restricted. But it seems most all of the quality bags are cut mummy-style. So I use a cheaper, but more square-cut or "modified mummy" bag, but what makes it work for me is adding a SLEEPING BAG LINER. Places like REI have several types, silk or synthetic fabrics. They pack really small--maybe the size of a softball. If it's warm you don't need to bother with it, and on cooler nights it gives at least an extra 10o of warmth. Since my bag is maybe a 30 or 40o bag, it isn't too bulky. It's a good combination for me.

By the way, if you have the room, nothing I've tried is more comfortable and easy to use than a Thermarest pad under the bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been sleeping outside as part of my job for the last 20 years. These are, to date, the best bags I've found.

I purcahsed a two part sleep system and the smaller bag of the two is great for motorcycle camping, and compresses into a very small package.

In Idaho the weather can change rapidly and the fill he uses in these bags are the best I've found for being able to keep you comfortable in a wide temperature range.

These are also the bags, at the time I bought mine, the military uses. I can't sleep in a mummy bag and these bags are big enough to allow you to stretch out and get comfortable.
+1 on Wiggy's. I use one of their bags on my back-country fall deer hunts. Lightweight, warm, and it will retain most of your body heat when it gets wet. You can store it for months at a time in its stuff sack without worry of mold, mildew or having the filler material bunched up too badly. Plus, it's made right here in the US. It's a bit pricier than some of the foreign-made bags from REI and other companies, but worth it IMO.

Pick up a good foam sleeping pad and a bivy sack and you'll have it made.

You can always rent one from REI to try out the fit and comfort level prior to purchasing. If I'm not mistaken

REI will also accept returns on any products if the product does not meet customer expectations.

I am a proponent of Marmot down sleeping bags with 800+ fill down in dry loft (DWR) fabric. I own both the Couloir and Pinnacle

which have been used primarily for back packing and mountain climbing but serve multi-purpose for motorcycle camping.

MARMOT SLEEPING BAGS

They are not cheap but are exceptional and required for situations like this.

TemplePeak.jpg

Peak1.jpg

Just wanted to double check which bag you are referring to for the MC camping. It seems like the Hunter Ultralight would be the most likely one given it's low weight and compactness.

Check out Sierra Trading Post for your gear. They often have good deals on sleeping bags and pads. I have been using a down North Face bag that is rated at 20 degrees F. It has been a great bag and I have been using it for the last 15 years. I use a bag liner to keep it clean and when its too hot to zip the bag up I use it as a cover up. As far as pads go stick with the Termarest or something simialar. I have one that is 4" thick 30" wide and 80" long. It's like sleeping on my bed at home. I figure I'm on a bike so I just don't care about the weight. It is a bit big but a good night sleep is well worth the bulk. In the photo below the sleeping pad is the black roll above the blue bag. Just like most things you get what you pay for. I'm a big fan of North Face, Marrmot, and Mountain Hardware. They have all held up well and worked even better. Good luck!!!

fjrrider.jpg

Can you say L5-S1? I knew that you could. Bad backs and sleeping bags do not do well together. Actually it's not the bag that's the problem its the damned ground. In any case, there are many compromises to make unless you don't care how much space the gear takes up and how much it weighs. I have used REI, Mountain Products Coporation, North Face, Coleman, Marmot and other bags throughout the decades. My current gear, for bike trips only, is a Big Agnes bag. Big Agnes saves packing volume and mass by not insulating the bottom of the bag....that's taken care of by the integrated pad. They have many styles of cut and fill/temperature ratings. Check out their site:

Big Agnes Sleeping Bags

....and then use a search engine to find the best online price on the bag/pad you settle on. There are lots of discount backpacking gear sites on the web.

Good luck....and stretch a lot in the morning!

Just wanted to double check which bag you are referring to for the MC camping. It seems like the Hunter Ultralight would be the most likely one given it's low weight and compactness.
I think it is the hunter ultralight. The site lists the bags that are available for the sleep system. From my experience they will make you whatever you'd like, so it fits your needs. I also forgot to mention the pad I use. Cabelas has a self inflating pad, 3" or 4" as I recall. I've also tried a number of sleeping pads and with age and shoulder issues this pad works well for me. A good pad can make all the difference also on your bag rating and keeping you warm. If size is a real issue I go with my Thermorest, not nearly as comfortable as the Cabelas however.

Also, if you have a back problem, check this out. If you get one, let us know how you like it. I want one, but can't seem to bring my wallet and my wants into synch.

I have had a Sierra Design I've used for 10 yrs and it's been wonderful. Add a Therm-a-rest sleeping pad and it's a great combination. The down bag is good for -10 or 20 (can't remember) and it packs into a bag that easily fits in the FJR. +1 on REI or Campmor, they have some good deals, especially when they are changing model years.