I'M Buying A Sleeping Bag, Any Recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I bought for a bag after 25 years being out of it.

Sleeping Bag

I buy the tall as it gives more room and the length is nice to pre warm cloths.

This is the pad I use and it is very nice and packs small for the comfort.

Sleeping Pad

Being out of this for so long I was amazed at prices, but you truly get what you pay for on camping gear.
I have the same bag and pad that LAF has with the exception of I purchased the long and extra wide bag. Very happy with the performance/comfort and used it recently on my Mt. Whitney summit. I too suffer with back issues and the Therma-rest pad is well worth the few extra bucks as there is nothing more miserable than hiking many miles with a 50lb. pack with no sleep!

We do a lot camping (with two scouts in the family), so here are my recommendations.

For the bag: get a lightweight bag and compression stuff sack. Down is warm, light and compresses really well, but is useless when it gets wet, so I still with fiber insulated ones. Dont store the bag under compression for long periods of time (only when transporting) or it might not fluff back up when you want it to. I wouldn't go with a super low temperature bag since it will be useless if it warms up. I prefer a 35 -40 degree bag and wear extra layers if it gets cold.

For the pad: I prefer the 2" thick self-inflating foam ones. They make thin air-only pads as well, but I always seem to "bottom-out" somewhere while laying on them. I also blow a little extra air into the self inflating ones to make them firmer. You also only need the 3/4 length ones - dont really need padding under your lower legs and feet. I always store them flat and fully inflated (with the valve open) to keep them in good shape.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if you have a back problem, check this out. If you get one, let us know how you like it. I want one, but can't seem to bring my wallet and my wants into synch.

I know somebody who has one. And he's on the forum. I don't want to "out" him 'cuz I don't want to promise a review on his behalf, but I'll send him a note and link to this thread. I thought it looked like a pretty good thing, myself.

Also, if you have a back problem, check this out. If you get one, let us know how you like it. I want one, but can't seem to bring my wallet and my wants into synch.

I know somebody who has one. And he's on the forum. I don't want to "out" him 'cuz I don't want to promise a review on his behalf, but I'll send him a note and link to this thread. I thought it looked like a pretty good thing, myself.

I bought my sleeping bag from Cabela's. It's good to -40 degrees, but very comfy. And it fits me at 90" long and 36" wide. It is not light weight, but carrying it on a bike doesn't matter. Although not the easiest thing, it fits into a stuff bag.

Sleeping Bag

My sleeping pad is this one also bought at Cabela's: It's also 36" wide and very nice and plush. Self inflating! Again not light, but doesn't matter if used only for the bike. Comfort is most important.

Sleeping Pad

I have one of those Luxury Lite cots. It's like sleeping on a hotel bed. I use it with a thin self-inflating pad and a down bag. It's costly but it works so well it's worth it, and it's small enough that it, the pad and the sleeping bag fit in an FJR side case.

I've camped all over when I was in the Marines. This is what we used.

Thumbnail.jpg

1 part for cool weather.

1 part for very cool weather

Combine both for REALLY cold weather

Gor-Tex bivvy sack for the wet and to keep the morning frost away.

I've used mine for about 7 years, problem free.

$99 from this guy

Before you decide on a sleeping pad, check out the exped mats. They are air mattresses with down or synthenic fill that do not allow the cold from the ground to transfer. They are pricey, but well worth the investment considering the comfort and smaller pack size compared to the thermarest type products.

I think you're refering to a BigAgnes Air Core insulated pad

I am referring to the Exped Down or Synthetic pads. They are air mattresses that have the insulation attached to the interior top and bottom of the pad. I choose the synthetic deluxe. It is full length, 3 1/2 inches deep, the pump is located inside the pad and it packs down to only 6 x 12 inches. Have slept great since I got it. Check it out.

I live on the left coast! Normally, use a 40 degree zippered Coleman liner as the entire bag for the tent camping I do. If I get cold, say down to 35 degrees, I bulk up with my under garments, and throw a wool blanket over me. For a mattress pad I use a half length inflatable flotation mattress. Normally a half mattress is used for water sports as a floatie. All of it packs small and light and I'm going to stick with it until they find me frozen one morning or maybe(?), I'll just buy another bag that says it will do more? :unknw:

I do a lot of backpacking with the Boy Scouts and although weight isn't as much a consideration on the bike, space is still an issue if you have a passenger. Cabelas makes some really nice gear and I've been using their regular size sleeping pad Click here. I had a delamination problem with mine, but they promptly sent out a new one (lifetime warranty is well worth it).

I also have their backpacking sleeping bag. I like the low weight and warmth of a down bag, but because of wet conditions I went with a synthetic bag. It packs down small and is fairly light weight. My link The temp ratings on bags is very personal. My 0 degree bag is tolerable for me at 32 degrees if I'm wearing long johns, socks and a knit cap.

Thanks for all the replies. I have ordered two Big Agnes bags, the Encampment and the Lulu. I ordered through Big Agnes, couldn't find anyone that had the right sizes and zipper combinations. I also ordered two Thermarest Luxury Map pads, got a 20% discount and free shipping from from basegear.com. Since I live in the same city I got next day deliver from UPS.