I'm buying new gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
I have ruined my favorite unlined riding gloves. I am looking for a pair to replace them. I'd order the same ones but they have been discontinued & I can no longer find them.

Those gloves were the Held "Fighter". Quality was good on these gloves. For the most part they stood up to the abuse that the asphalt dished out... but alas they holed in a couple of spots leaving me w/ the dilemma to find a new pair.

Is there anyone out there that has found an exceptional glove that has a gauntlet big enough to fit OVER jacket cuffs? I don't like the bulkiness of some of Helds other offerings. Preferably the palm should be some softer, pliable leather for grip than the rest of the glove's leather? Also, I don't want anything to make me look like Josephine Racer. I'm looking for good quality, unlined leather gloves w/ a gauntlet. A gauntlet that will fit over my jacket cuffs is a must. Knuckle protection is good, also.

Thanks in advance, Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried out my HELD PROFI gloves over the weekend.

Default.jpg

I like 'em! The gauntlet fits over my jacket, and the palms feel pretty good on the grips. Not a lot of padding and comfortable for hours. I didn't think they were too Ricky Racebike looking, and $92 for a pair of Helds was pretty sweet. Looks like they are almost out of black, but have lots of blue and red still in stock. New Enough is still tops for schaweet deals in my book!

I like the Churchill gloves. They come in several styles and are made from deer skin which is more abrasion resistant than cowhide and it gets more deer out of our way. :)

Rocket, I had a friend who had a pair of those. They were offered to me, I tried them on & didn't like them. They were much bulkier than I want. Thanks for the suggestion. The "Profi" & the "Steve" are examples of Held gloves that I'm not looking for. I do thank you for the suggestion, though.

Ray, by any chance do you have a link??? Or I suppose my lazy fingers could do a Google search. Thanks mucho amounts.

Ok, I just looked at the Churchhill gloves. None of their offerings appear to have a gauntlet that will go over a jacket.

Try REV'IT gloves, just go on their website and look at the different models. I go with just plain black so I don't look like a boy racer or a Transformer.

The gloves are well made, have Schellor Keprotec/extra leather/Kevlar reinforcement in high abrasion areas to protect you, mine fit like a golf glove and I can pick up a dime with them, and can still operate my GPS with them on no problem.

Thanks SMC. I've looked at those already. Nice gloves although, the gauntlet looks like it's not jacket friendly & they are worn inside the jackets cuffs. I'm looking for a pair of outees.

I have ruined my favorite unlined riding gloves. I am looking for a pair to replace them. I'd order the same ones but they have been discontinued & I can no longer find them.
Those gloves were the Held "Fighter". Quality was good on these gloves. For the most part they stood up to the abuse that the asphalt dished out... but alas they holed in a couple of spots leaving me w/ the dilemma to find a new pair.

Is there anyone out there that has found an exceptional glove that has a gauntlet big enough to fit OVER jacket cuffs? I don't like the bulkiness of some of Helds other offerings. Preferably the palm should be some softer, pliable leather for grip than the rest of the glove's leather? Also, I don't want anything to make me look like Josephine Racer. I'm looking for good quality, unlined leather gloves w/ a gauntlet. A gauntlet that will fit over my jacket cuffs is a must. Knuckle protection is good, also.

Thanks in advance, Heidi
heidi,

i've been thru lots of gloves, but i can't think of any that would be any better at going around jacket sleeves. you might want to give paul a call at newenough.com. they're good people, and will give you their honest answer on what you need.

i just went out to the garage to check out the pairs i have now. i have a pair of helds, don't know the name, but they have the armored knuckles and rivest in the palms and the kangaroo palms; i agree, they're rather bulky, and take a long time to get on, as they're tight, but i think that's a good thing. the other pair are tourmasters. they have a wrist strap, then two arm wraps. i got them from newenough. they're very soft, but i question how rugged they are. anyway, they might be good for what you need. hth...

I agree about Newenough. They are great people & have outstanding service. As a matter of fact, that is where I bought the "Fighter" gloves that I had.

I've looked thru their offereings & they don't have anything that I'm interested in.

There's got to be good quality leather gloves w/ a gauntlet out there somewhere.

My search continues.

Please keep suggestions coming. Thanks, Heidi

Thanks SMC. I've looked at those already. Nice gloves although, the gauntlet looks like it's not jacket friendly & they are worn inside the jackets cuffs. I'm looking for a pair of outees.
Hi, just me again, actually I have a number of gloves of theirs and I adjust the gauntlet so they all go on the outside of all my riding jackets, from my slim summer stuff to the super duper Kevlar jacket I just got from cycleport that has quite large/thick sleeves.

The gauntlets are all velcro adjustable and allow quite a range of openings.

https://www.motostrano.com/racergloves.html
Check these out Heidi, they're having a clearance.

I have a pair of the Racer multi-top gloves. They are my preferred choice for riding, plus the gauntlet fits just fine over my jackets.
+1 on the Racer Gloves. I have the High End glove, but either Racer glove is an excellent choice depending your climate. BTW, these prices at Motostrano are a bargain.

I really like my Cortech Scarab RR gloves. They look/feel like they'd protect well in a get off. This is my 2nd year wearing them. I have Cortech jackets (hot and cold weather) pants, boots, tail/tank bags etc and think they're stuff is top notch. I also don't want to look like Joe squidly wanna bee and think the Scarab in all black look good and not tacky.

h_q1_black_black.jpg

They can be found online for ~$70

Oh yeah they're very comfortable also.

more info: Clicky

Steve

As long as everyone's making a pitch for their faves...

I really Roadgear's gloves. Everytime I try something else, I wonder why I didn't stick with what I liked.

I wear the Sport Touring gloves about 90% of the time I'm on the bike. I trade off only when it's below 40 degrees or over 80. They're not as bulky as they look in the photo with the model who needs a shave.

And, yes, the gauntlet goes outside the jacket sleeve. :)

I really like my Cortech Scarab RR gloves. They look/feel like they'd protect well in a get off. This is my 2nd year wearing them. I have Cortech jackets (hot and cold weather) pants, boots, tail/tank bags etc and think they're stuff is top notch. I also don't want to look like Joe squidly wanna bee and think the Scarab in all black look good and not tacky.
h_q1_black_black.jpg

They can be found online for ~$70

Oh yeah they're very comfortable also.

more info: Clicky

Steve
Steve, I like these. This is kinda' like what I'm looking for. Are these gloves ventilated? I saw a blurb in the description mentioning venting. I don't want ventilation. Maybe it was stating that they breathe.

Squeezer, the Roadgear look pretty nice. I like the 3 season gloves... but they're lined. I'd really like to get a nice pair of unlined gloves.

The motostrano gloves... well, they look nice. They are pretty pricey. And they also mentioned venting. Are they vented?

The Lee Parks... as soft and nice as they are... I couldn't find a pair that fit well when I was trying them on at the International Cycle Show that I went to.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I'm seeing nice gloves that I never knew existed. Thank you very much everyone.