In a Crash, Where Will You Most Likely Hit Your Head?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a follow up, there is this site:https://www.rideforever.co.nz/gear_up/index.html

That gives percentages of other parts of the body.

KM
good site.

i noticed this:

"Back protectors and lumbar protectors

(EN 1621-2) are intended to provide a shield against edges such as kerbs. While some 13% of motorcyclists sustain back injuries in crashes, the majority of these are caused by blows to the head or by bending and twisting of the back. A back protector will not prevent such an injury, but will provide an effective defencesome protection against bruises and strains"

i knew i'd read that on some other site, that backs are actually under represented in m/c injuries. yet we see a crapload of back protectors out there. i think it's more the fear of a back injury, than the actual likelihood.

a very wise lister once said this about gear---always wear gloves. always! if you injure your hands, you can't do anything.

dean

cincinnati

I think they market back protectors as "spine protectors" nowadays, and of course they sell on the horrid fear of spinal injury.

As noted, most back injuries are caused from twisting the back, not impact, although some do get hurt from hitting something.

The ATGATT mind set of course does not look at what happens "most of the time" but attempts to cover every possibility, no matter the odds. The mere chance of somehow falling or being thrown against an irregular object spine first, is enough to make one think seriously about doing something to protect this vital area.

And, I always always wear gloves..even when I ride naked.........

KM

Pain, I had no idea you were a Harley guy. Cool.
If you can manage to get 'im drunk, he might even tell you how many men he's killed in his biker days.
wink.gif
Dang Toe, I go to work for a few days and come back and now I was getting drunk and killing people in my biker days. Well actually your pretty close, I only almost was killing people, really, just making them hurt alot, almost like being dead but not quite as comfortable.

Before I became a Christian, that was at age 40, I'm 53 now, I was riding with a Modified Motorcycle Association group near where I live and about half the group was Richmond Hell's Angel's. And we were um,....doing more than getting drunk and riding HD's.

But that's all changed now, I'm all growed up, cleaned up, (inside and out that is), and while I still ride that same old HD I'm using it to minister to the guys that are doing the same things I use to do and trying to help them see the light so to speak. And oh yea, I ride an FJR with some old guys like me now too. And one of the best parts about all this, I can wake up Sunday morning, remember what I did Saturday night, don't have a head ache and I still got money in my wallet....go figure. God is good. Can you imagine, you can be a Christian and be a biker too. Unreal.....PM. <>< :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: