In the market for a new tank bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
I am looking at 2 tankbags... the Motocentric Mototrek 19 & Rapid Transit Recon 19. I've already laid hands on the the Rapid Transit bag & not the Motocentric. I am looking for personal experience with the Motocentric... such as how does it fit on the FJR, how well do the magnets hold, etc.

I am not looking for opinions on any other bags.

Anyone??? TIA folks!

Heidi,

What you think about this original Yamaha?Especially made for fjr tank line..

2009_ACC-BLT_YME-W0750-1000_003aa_HR_zpsdf7a8b14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heidi,

They look very similar. I have the rapid transit and love it. I have only used the hydration bladder once. I love the way the pockets and pouches are designed. It works best out of all the bags I have had for how I use it. The hydration bladder just takes up room in the main compartment. One of the differences I do notice is that the map view pouch looks larger on the Mototrek. It is almost useless on the Rapid Transit, but we both run a GPS, so it really doesn't matter. I use the map sleave for my Spot. Works great. If I do want to look at a map I will be stopped and want to fold it out anyway.

I remember when I got the tank bag and Janet saw the hydration bladder. Her comment was, "oh great! Now we will never stop!"
rolleyes.gif

The bladder is something that I'd strip from the bag, anyhow. Remember, I have a Skyway hydration thingy. I'm seriously thinking about trying the motocentric bag. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Rapid Transit & that Motocentric looks pretty nice.

Mihalis, thanks for the picture. I am only interested in finding more information on the Motocentric bag. I have already narrowed my choices & I will be buying one of the bags that I've mentioned.

I knew that. That is why I mentioned the space with it removed. Big difference. It leaves me room for one of the large Gatorades. I haven't seen the need to hydrate on the fly. Maybe in my iron butt years...

I have a Skyway hydration thingy.

I continually hydrate while riding. Otherwise I end up with cramps from dehydration. The dehydration usually only happens when I'm wearing mesh gear.

I'm seriously considering trying the Motocentric. I think it may work better for me. I don't want that phone pouch on the top. Other than that, the bags look eerily similar.

Due to the overwhelming response, I've decided to go ahead & purchase one of the Motocentric bags. When advice is asked about tank bags, I hope to be able to post with a positive remark concerning this one.

Thanks for looking.

Heidi,What you think about this original Yamaha?Especially made for fjr tank line..

[img=[URL="https://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/mihalisfjr1300/2009_ACC-BLT_YME-W0750-1000_003aa_HR_zpsdf7a8b14.jpg%5D"]https://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/mihalisfjr1300/2009_ACC-BLT_YME-W0750-1000_003aa_HR_zpsdf7a8b14.jpg][/URL]
I Like that bag!! do u know where to order from in the States, part #
Not the identical bag, but... https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/accessories/index.aspx?productCode=FJR1300A&redirect=false

Due to the overwhelming response, I've decided to go ahead & purchase one of the Motocentric bags. When advice is asked about tank bags, I hope to be able to post with a positive remark concerning this one.
Thanks for looking.
I will be interested in seeing it and comparing it side-by-side with the Rapid Transit. You mentioned the phone pouch. That one made me curious, because the majority of phones today that have a display worth looking at through the clear window will not fit in there!? I put my garage door opener in there instead. The phone connects through the Zumo anyway, so I don't need to see it. Good luck with the new bag! Is it May yet??

You will definitely see & touch it. Is it May, yet?!

& for another forum area... we should plan a spring trip... maybe go camping? I'm thinking next month. You up for it???

Even though it looks like you have already made up your mind on the Motocentric, here's my 2 cents on the Rapid Transit...

1. Phone pouch is too small. My iPhone is a _TIGHT_ fit without it's case.

2. Front left corner will hit horn button unless you place it far back enough on the tank

3. Side pockets are convenient, especially for quick-n-easy access without having to open up the main compartment

4. EZ Pass fits nicely in the map window if needed

It's a great bag with lots of room and pockets. The Motocentric looks like almost a carbon copy. I'd be curious as to how it works and compares.

I have the Motocentric Mototrek 19 and really like it. Convenient compartments, good size...I put a 70 ounce bladder in it and when full it makes for a tight fit...with 50 ounces it's better...and use the rain gates for wired connections. I have put many miles on in heavy rain with and without the rain cover over 2-years and the stuff in the bag remains dry! (Camera and other electronic gear stowed safely.)One thing I don't like are the attachment loops on either side of the front bottom of the bag scratched or bruises the paint on the tank until I cut them off! No worries, a good buffing with compound will get these bruises out! I don't use the shoulder straps and I would like it if the bag came with a carrying handle on the top of the bag! I may sew one on if I don;t replace the bag this year...

I put my pike pass in the front pocket and it works great!

That's my 2 centavos

You will definitely see & touch it. Is it May, yet?!
& for another forum area... we should plan a spring trip... maybe go camping? I'm thinking next month. You up for it???
Hell yeah! I still have not used the new tent.

Small review of Motocentric Mototrek 19 tank bag...

So, the new tank bag arrived on Saturday. Holy moly! What fast damn shipping from Jafrum.com! I just ordered it Friday. I need to put an atta' boy in the vendors section. About this tank bag... Jay (Violione) was over @ the house. He owns a Rapid Transit Recon 19...

He likes it & I like it, too. It appears that there are not as many "broken down" compartments as the RT but it has as many full sized pockets. To me, that really isn't a concern. Pockets are wonderfully sized, tho. Also, a hook for keys & map pouch fits 1 panel of normal state map. I actually stuffed 3 CLOSED maps into it. There are many interior pockets. One of which will easily hold a good sized smart phone, i-phone, etc. I decided to use the pocket to put my spare yellow tinted glasses in. I put all of the goodies from my Cargo Endurance 20L bag into this one with absolutely no problems & have room to spare. It looks good on the bike, too.

What I don't like... no handle to carry bag when it's off bike. I will try to remedy that as McFly says. Also, the always attached rain cover actually stows in a pocket that seems to share space with the front pocket on the bag instead of stowing beneath the bag like the RT does. Minor complaints... but I damn sure like to use that front pocket for things that I use frequently (cigs & lighter, ibuprofen, etc)... & this DEFINITELY impedes that. Otherwise, I am really looking forward to trying this bag out real time. It's pretty damn nice. & for the price... hell, just what I needed! BTW... bag was $75.50 to my front door.

oki... forgot to add: Honestly, I would never put my phone on the "sun catching" side of a tank bag. I stuck my phone into the map pouch on top of the bag, once. It was a sunny day. The phone went bonkers until it cooled down. This one has an interior pocket that would hold a large phone. I chose to use the pocket for a spare set of yellow tinted glasses that I use while riding the bike.

Thank you for your information.

Thanks for the comparison.

BTW, I haven't had a problem occasionally using the small strap which connect the two main zippers as a carrying handle. It's a bit thin, but usable and has been fairly durable.

Otherwise, I typically use the single shoulder strap for longer carries.