Increasing gas milage: pure acetone additive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another simple test to see if the acetone fuel mixture works.

Knowing the BMW of mine at 80 mph uses an internal map, not the O2 sensor.

Another way is to remove the O2 sensor at the connection jack.

I taped masking tape to the throttle and side in order to determine how much throttle is needed to maintain 80 mph.

I used the same section of flat road and ran down it 3 times. I did wait for a calm day, each time I looked to mark the tape of how much throttle was needed to maintain 80 mph. After the first mark I did not need to mark it again.

I then added a measured 1 oz per 4.5 gallons of fuel, after I traveled about 20 miles, I tested the bike again. Three runs.

I don't remember the exact amount but I used a lot less throttle to maintain the 80 mph. This was even more pronounced on the Miata.

Like I said I did all my test 3 years ago.

After I had seen the benefits of the acetone to fuel mixture. The problem with the video it simplifies how to use and measure the acetone.

I would work up the amount of acetone used, the same way you work up a gun powder load on a bullet.

The biggest benefit like I said before is I am able to use 85/87 octane fuel in vehicles tuned for 91 octane.

Also with the increased fuel mileage it is worth the cost.

On the BMW the mileage went up from 45 mpg using high test, to 48 mpg using low test fuel, Or as I call the 85 octane, sub-standard crap.( I did multiple runs same conditions, and mpg was averaged over the testing period).

My highest mileage on the BMW has been as high as 52 mpg using 91 octane, and 55 mpg with the acetone. This was not averaged and there are too many variables. But that is what I got.

Oh yea, I put a fuel fill line in the bmw in order to fill to the same point every time during my testing period.

I don't remember the exact amount but I used a lot less throttle to maintain the 80 mph. This was even more pronounced on the Miata.

right............. That acetone you're using must be some powerful stuff to unlock all that extra energy!!!!!

right............. That acetone you're using must be some powerful stuff to unlock all that extra energy!!!!!
...well, another interesting discussion from the cognicenti as always. Let me add more fuel to the fire here. Bob G`s observations/assertion is highly plausible. I have not worked with acetone myself (that I can recall), but assuming it contains a higher level of energy for a given volume than gasoline, when used as an additive, MPG should rise. That is only logical! A bigger bang u might say. This is clearly opposite to what effect Methanol and Ethanol has on gasoline...which is: reduction (or dilution if u prefer) of energy content. Even so, like Jestal indicates, what that stuff will do to some materials over the long haul might be the prime consideration. I for one will stay away from the stuff untill it`s all irrefutable. :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to Google and find the BTU/Gallon figure for acetone and can't find it amonst the crowd of snake-acetone websites out there. :blink:

Even if it did.....at 1 part in 500 or 1 oz. in 4.5 gallons...it might be like 0.1 or 0.2% in theory from a BTU perspecitve. That's a tiny increase.

.....oh......just found that Mythbusters already covered this under the Great Gas Conspiracy. BUSTED!

Ignacio, I commend you for trying to do something scientific, but what we all are trying to do here is to apply reason, science and logic to what is pretty much an alchemy kind of situation. Even if you did find the number of BTU's in acetone and gasoline I really don't think we could actually prove anything. First of all, the guys who design the modern engines design them for a certain range of gas octanes, dumping in acetone changes the mix. Since we are pretty much just dumping it in, we don't have any control over any of this. Jestal brought out a very good point, to change milage rates or throttle setting you are making some major changes in efficiency or power. From my old chemistry days, I know that acetone has a high flash point but I kinda doubt it has more potential energy than gasoline. It is a ketone, which is similar to an alcohol, do you think an alcohol burner puts out more heat than gasoline (2-2-4 trimethylpentane)? I don't think so.

Myth Busters are a bunch of hacks.

Go ahead and quote them.

They were and are proven wrong on a regular basis.

The acetone does have a higher flash point, and is rated about 150 octane.

As for gas formulas, I have only seen it produce this results from Sinclair gas.

The other fuel (chemical soups), would not produce a repeatable out come.

Also I have not put it in the FJR. I see no need to put it in a bike that uses 85/87 octane.

The one thing you guys keep missing, is the industries standards/ practice of allowing error in its ignition/ sensor systems.

Example the Miata may have been developed to run on 91 octane, but because of inherent errors in the system the car would run better at 95 octane. I may be just be peak tuning the vehicle. Other Miata may run better at at 87 octane. This may be why some vehicles show great improvement with the acetone and other similar vehicles don't or run even worse.

I never did test this hypothesis because acetone is so damn cheap compared to octane boost.

Just some food for thought.

is rated about 150 octane
Note that octane does not equate to power in any way, only to the resistance of knocking.

If you had a severe knocking problem causing loss of engine performance then an octane booster would make it appear that you gained power when the knocking stops. In fact all that would have happened is to restore the engine back to its normal output.

With the industries practices, what is the normal out put of an engine?

Why do some bikes/ cars perform better than others right off the assembly line?

Is the concept of chemically tuning a vehicle beyond your comprehension?

Is the concept of chemically tuning a vehicle beyond your comprehension?
:blink: I'm a firm believer in nitrous systems.

With the industries practices, what is the normal out put of an engine?
Why do some bikes/ cars perform better than others right off the assembly line?
Output is +/-10% of design specs, or better.

Cosmic confluence of good parts with good parts or bad parts with bad parts multiplied by the assemblers give-a-shit factor = assembly line variances. (Good part is in the middle of spec, ‘bad’ part is at or over the spec limit.) I missed the tie in to acetone in these last couple of questions.

I used to get my nitrous from whipped cream cans, always had a problem with butter in the exhaust pipes.

My findings are repeatable on the Miata and bmw.

I am only guessing on why.

I believe that the inherent inaccuracies in the vehicles on the road is why it is so hard to repeat these findings.

Hell, look at the gap in fuel ratings on engines directly from the manufacturer.

Is acetone a magic pill, I don't think so.

I do believe it needs some testing in a real lab to see what it does to specific gasoline formulas.

Then we can answer the symptoms/ results that I and others see.

To say it doesn't work based on blind faith with out personal trial and error is truly ignorant.

Myth Busted, I watched the Mythbusters :buba: episode about this, it actually DECREASED fuel economy. :rtfm: