Indy Moto GP looking for opinions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunhamg

Reaction score
Looking to get tickets and looking for opinions on what are the best places for viewing the races. Did you camp or get a hotel close by? Thanks for any help.

Grady

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking to get tickets and looking for opinions on what are the best places for viewing the races. Did you camp or get a hotel close by? Thanks for any help.
Grady

I have gone the last two years and just bought the general admission tickets. I am one who can't sit still for very long, and really won't spend much time at any one location. We walk around a lot and view the practice and qualifying from all over the track. Once the racing starts we will settle into or favorite spots, but that is such a personel thing. I like to see and hear the bikes "on the throttle", my buddy likes to watch the tight corners, so we kind of split it up. Sometimes we just go our seperate ways for a couple of hours at a time.

As far as lodging we stay west of Indy approx. 30 mi. @ the Cloverdale exit. Room rates are reasonable that far out. If you get in any closer you will pay $100.00 to $150.00 a night with a three night minimum. We may try staying in closer to the track this next year and do the bike night thing and the dirt track racing etc. We are still talkin about that.

There is a lot to see and experience @ Indy, a great place with tons of history. Very well run, lots of parking, restrooms, places to eat etc. There is also a great vendor area you can spend a lot of time and money in. The Ducati area is always fun, lots going on there.

If you go, you will enjoy yourself, there is no way around that.

DCH

Grady
General admission and go for the infield. Can't say about hotels as I live a couple hours away and just came home after the event.

Scoop

Drewvanracer has held FJRforum festivities at has RV for a couple years.

I think he got a set of tix again.

General 3 day pass is $75. A pretty sweet deal.

It isn't really crowded enough to justify reserve tickets, unless you can weasle into a suite.

Downtown evening activities are numerous too.

H stand is pretty sweet, you get to see them come threw the twisties and head down the straight, There are giant TV screens every where. as others have mentioned it good to take all three day's or at least two, the night before the race downtown Indy is a mad house with tons of stuff going on, anyway good luck, you'll have a blast

I liked the seats in J. I didn't go last year, but, was there the first year. My only advice, if there's a hurricane coming to town, make other plans.

Don't waste your money, unless you like to see only a small portion of the race track from a distance. It's a Euro thing, watch a few bikes go by, then wait a few minutes and see them again. Highly over rated. If you, take earplugs, the sound is deafening. If you want to see some real action, and the WHOLE race, attend the Indy Mile at the fair grounds on Saturday night. Way more bang for the buck. Oh BTW, plan on spending at least twenty bucks to park your bike! A real rip off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grady
ive been to both the indy GP races and i consider them the expirience of a lifetime for this midwesterner B) ill be there every year for sure...

we sit in stand E and it has an awesome view of the front straight into turn 1 and the corkscrew that turns into the back stretch... we also had a megatron right in front of us for the rest of the race....

its the only opportunity ive had to see these bikes up close in action....

Don't waste your money, unless you like to see only a small portion of the race track from a distance. It's a Euro thing, watch a few bikes go by, then wait a few minutes and see them again. Highly over rated. If you, take earplugs, the sound is deafening. If you want to see some real action, and the WHOLE race, attend the Indy Mile at the fair grounds on Saturday night. Way more bang for the buck.
it wasnt a few minutes :) those GP boys were knockin out laps in the 1:40s.... we had a bike in view most of the time from my vantage point B)

i agree the fairgrounds on sat night is the place to be ! i leave the big track and go straight to the dirt track... watchin kig kenny last year on the TZ was a once in a lifetime deal for most!

whadda mile!!!!

Oh BTW, plan on spending at least twenty bucks to park your bike! A real rip off.
i guess you didnt hear about the free parking on the TRACK? the unused backstretch and turn 2 from the oval track is all FREE motorcycle parking... it was awesome rolling on the track on the FJR B) got a free commemorative indy moto GP kickstand puck to boot...

I've gone both years and have had a hell of alot of fun both times.

1st year had tickets in J stand almost at the top. Good view of a few turns and jumbotron. Went downtown for bike night and had dinner at Buca's next to Rossi. :yahoo:

Randy is right don't go in a hurricane.

2nd year had a general admission pass and watched the race from all over the track. Went downtown again and had a blast.

Both years I used my AMA membership and saved me a good amount of money on tickets and hotels.

Grady
Been both years as well and will share what I can. :fans:

The hotels are relatively cheap in Indianapolis. 1st year stayed just west of the airport in Plainfield off of In- 267 ( exit 66 off I-70?). Room was less than $100/night :drinks: . It took about 20 minutes to ride from there to the Speedway. Luckily I had seats that were covered which payed off big time when the hurricane came over. Everyone is different. I prefer to sit out of the elements.

Since I live in Lexington, the second year I got a hotel around Franklin, In. for less than $100/night. Drewvan has done a fun Forum Bar-B-Que on Saturday night.

Other activities include:

Friday night downtown Indy had the XDL Sportbike Freestyle Championship which was throughout the weekend at the Indiana War Memorial. South Meridian Street was sectioned off becoming a giant outdoor street party. On Friday and Saturday night, the streets between South Street and Maryland Street were open for only those on two-wheels.

Saturday night after MotoGP Qualifying the motorcycle racing continued at the Lucas Oil Indy Mile AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National inside the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Getting in can be a PITA.

At the track, it 's a huge Motorcycle Celebration :yahoo: . It has exceeded my expectations and plan on being there every year. B)

IMHO YMMV. :diablo: j

I went last year and we spent most of the time going from one area of the track to another- I would just buy the cheapest general admission tics next time. We stayed in a nice B & B in town.

I went last year and got Corner 7 Terrace tickets with the 3-day admission and parking passes included. Went for both Saturday and Sunday to take in all of the vendor expos and the Indy museum as well since it was my first visit to the track. I could not have been happier with my choice. I ended up watching the 125 & 250 from the infield mostly and then watched the 500 from my seats. I also got tickets to the Indy mile, which was simply amazing and that I definitely recommend! I ended up staying at a hotel (forgotten where) somewhere across town that I had found on one of the discount hotel websites. Everything went really smoothly from my perspective and I had a great time. Good luck in making your plans with whatever you decide!