inexpesive wave rotors on ebay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the HELs on my '02 Blackbird.

They are superb, if a bit spendy.

Their Five-Line Kit retails for $245.00; you can just count up the number of lines on a ABS-LBS system to see it's a fair bit of coin.

Galfer did actually make a few brake line sets for the the Gen II, I have a set on my bike. The entire set for the Gen II FJR is if I recall about 13 different line sets and the task level is pretty high for the install. I was one of the gunie pigs for distribution of the sets and I think they only made 2 maybe 3 sets total. For a do it yourselfer it is a fairley demading level of effort. The area that is particularly difficult is all the line replacements back at the ABS module.

I passed along the difficulties along with a problem of securing the area torwards the front of the frame where it transitions to hardlines. Additionally bleeding the entire assembly was fairly time consuming also do to the extensive amout of volume with all the lines.

This maybe some of the reasons why Galfer has chosen not to offer the set for this GB if they do at all, I'm not sure.

I have the rotors too, front and back, look way cool and work well. They seem to be holding up very well and there seems to be no addtional wear to the pads, I say this because I primarily brake with the fronts only and the right front caliper shows very little difference in pad wear from the set associated with the front brakes and the set of pads tied to the rear brake set. I would guess I have about 4 to 5000 miles on the components.

Something to ponder, seems to me like a good mod for a track bike.

All Galfer rotors are laser cut, providing a perfectly stress free flat surface that can reach much higher contact levels between pad and rotor combinations. The higher the contact between rotor and pad the better brakes. When a rotor gets hot it expands, if the rotors were laser cut, the material would keep perfect flatness because it has no stress on it. Galfer chooses to use a high carbon 420ss material on their rotors; it shows to have better material memory, and much more carbon content on it therefore better heat resistance and dissipation. The WAVE rotors are clearly a step forward on rotor technology. Galfer wanted to achieve less unsprung weight as well as faster heat dissipation. As the rotor turns it allows for fresh / cooler air to get in touch with the brake pad surface, the cooling of the brake pads surface allows for better friction. The wave design also allows for more contact or trailing edge between pad and rotor therefore providing better brake feels.

Naturally other benefits will be less unsprung weight, and very cool looking rotors !!!

Key Benefits

Lighter by at least one pound from Stock units.

Less unsprung weight, better handling.

Full floating to deliver better feel and contact between brake pad and rotors.

info from - https://www.waverotors.com/prod02.htm