Inflatable vests

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw it at the Long Beach Int. Cycle Show in Dec. The inventor/owner of the company came over to me when I was looking at the Gold Wing display with the inflated air bag. He asked what I thought then went on to tell me about his product. I went over to his booth and saw it demonstrated, pretty trick. However, my thoughts are (totally subjective I might add) - First I would probably blow through a ton of the air canisters (however they are only a couple bucks a piece I guess) as you have a teather strap from the vest that hooks to the bike so if you leave the bike the vest inflates. I envision forgetting to unhook the teather whenever I get off the bike and bam (as Emerill would say), inflated vest. wasted cannisters, and entertained on lookers! Next, I'm sure the vest would help if you go slidding or bouncing down the road, but I don't think your torso (which the vest primarily protects) gets the worst in a situation like that. Doesn't your arms, elbows, hands, knees, feet etc., all the extemities hanging out there take the worst of fall, at least from my experience thats the way it is . I believe my leather would protect my torso adequately. Just my thought s-

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that the vest might save some lives. IF it inflates all the way around the rib cage it might have make a big difference for me.

I think my crash was the exception rather than the rule though.

There is no test data that I can see on the site or links to some. Over all I think mike is right, accidental activation would be a big problem and result in the dang thing not being used.

I wear a helmet and protective jacket, boots, gloves etc. Situational awareness is still the best armor.

Vest might be good for racers, 'specially motocross.

Why do I keep getting this vision of Chris Farley on the airplane with the vest around his neck? :bleh:

Dainese is working on, or will shortly release a tested and proven fast-inflating air bag type wearable system. It uses a wireless transmitter and a datapack that is installed on the bike.

A CO2 inflated vest ,while claiming to inflate in 1/3 of a second would take 25 -40 feet of travel to fully inflate at highway speeds (60mph=88ft/sec). Cold temperatures would lower inflation volumes as well(would need to acoount for this with extra CO2 capacity). Obviously in a t-bone situation,you might completely inflate after you were already through the cycle screen and inside the other guys vehicle (or bouncing along the road). :dribble:

I will gladly wait for the real article when it is ready (and tested) for prime time release! :clap:

https://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/inflate.html