Info about high speed blowout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a rear tire go flat "instantly" a few years ago with a passenger on the back at about 40-50 MPH. The back of the bike took off to the right and then to the left as I was slowing down. It is true that you don't need much brake as the flat tire will slow the bike quickly. It gives you a very uneasy feeling when the back takes off and seems like it is going to pass you --- but it doesn't -- it comes back and then goes to the other direction. It does this till slowed down. No crash but close -- you really have to hold on. The back tire just "steps out to the side".

The tire had folded to one side and then to the other and this caused the back to take off sideways.

The extra weight on the back made it more difficult to handle IMO.

I started riding for work in 1999 and put on almost 4 years on the bike while working the road. In that time, I had several in-motion flats, mostly rear, but a few front. We pick up all kinds of crap in our tires from the road shoulders.

The rears are totally managable in most cases, but watch out for those sudden flats on the front tire. Those can get ugly real quick depending on your speed, lane position and the overwhelming need to get out of traffic. I agree with whoever (MadMike) said you probably won't need your brakes. You will bleed off speed incredibly fast - you'll actually be rolling on the thottle towards the end if you're trying to limp over to the shoulder.

I inspect my tires at the start of every day I'm going to ride and suggest to everyone starting out in motorcycling that they do, too. Pain in the butt, if you incorporate it into your pre-flight, you just might see that staple or screw that's already compromised your tire and just waiting to put you on the side of the road mid-day.

Is anyone running run-flat tires, and can anyone suggest a brand? I have never thought of sports tire and run-flat in the same sentence but I am sure they must be doing pretty good since my 335i came with them on the the performace package?!? Overall it is an alright tire but the tire really needs to be hot before it gets ANY traction. Knowing I am 2-up 90% of the time I would feel it might be a better choice for me.

Been there done that at 90mph with pillion. Started as a slow weave and grew as I drifted across 3 busy lanes with the hazard lights on. Got to the emergency lane and it was completely flat.

Took 2 large tyre levers to prize my sphinctre from the seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
EscapeFjrtist had a high speed blowout a few years back while I was following him. We were on our way back from the Wisconsin CFO and moving along 'spritely' on a Michigan UP all-but-deserted-2 lane highway in heavy forest.

I saw the blowout happen, tire debris chunk out & spin madly behind his bike . Prayed George wouldn't panic and toss himself into the trees while attempting my first ever stoppie on an FJR.

Staggered formation barely gave me enough room to keep from passing him even though he never touched his brakes. We were both heavily loaded and the rear of his bike was going side to side so bad I feared the tire bead would let go of the rim. George held on and piloted it expertly to the side of the road, much to both our reliefs and my deep and everlasting gratitude.

Can't remember if this was a case of a mushroom plug ( or 3 ) spitting itself out or not. Originally I thought it was but then came back to edit. I now believe I recall the tire actually blew almost 180 degrees from the plug locations ? The tire had been real ugly and ridden hard with the plug(s ?) in it for the previous 3-400 miles so I'd hesitate to condemn them even if they did pop out.

Maybe George will come along and set the record straight on that point.

I do know that knowing what we know now neither of us will push a wounded tire like that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another situation that may have turned out very differently with a tire pressure/temp monitoring system. Regardless how rapidly it appeared to have failed, you can bet there was noticeable air loss and temp rise prior to the big bang.