Injectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about Seafoam?
I thought that was the preferred 'stuff' by discriminating forum members?
Seafoam works well as a fuel stabilizer, and gentile system cleaner, as well as a decarbonizing agent. Techron is more or less a high potency version of the same detergent additives Chevron puts in gas-as I understand it, Chevron is the MAJOR supplier of gasoline detergent additives in the US, regardless of brand. So it's very safe to use and quite effective if crusty injectors are suspected, or as a maintenance cleaner. Seafoam isn't as effective at this specific duty, but has more overall uses than Techron. We have a number of squads that get idled to death, now and then we have to Techron one, I then take it out on the freeway and beat the shit out of it. Different car upon return. I buy it by the case at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Seafoam and it is far superior to anything else out there because it is a pretty green color and the round can looks kinda old-school, has happy bubbles around the fancy logo and the name reminds me of my childhood trips to the beach.

Also, I don't use anything that comes in a square bottle because I think the liquid forms square edges that don't fit through the lines and hoses of my bike the right way.

+1 on the Lucas Fuel System stuff. I add 2oz. to a tank about 2-3 times a month. A bottle from Wally World will last a good 16 fill ups.
So when using the Lucas product, do you now find that you have to carry a bunch of extra fuses, diodes, and jumper alligator clips in you tool kit?
Nope, not yet <fingers crossed> Is their something about Lucas Oil products I am missing?

I remember your engine imploding but thought it was related to the CCT or something along those lines.

Anyone have comment on those other NC fuels?
Take a look at Top Tier gas. Lots of information on the web.

--G
I read this with interest.

One of the things the author mentions is that modern injectors (post ~1988) don't foul. In my own experience with FI'd vehicles, I can only say that I ran my old '91 Toyota V-6 4WD pickup up almost to 300,000 miles burning nothing but the cheapest gasoline I could find. I lived in the SF Bay Area, then SoCal, then up here in the Northwest. That truck lost a little compression but basically was delivering 19-20 highway mpg for as long as I had it.

That truck ran strong right up to the day I gave it to my son (who then proceeded to hydrolock it trying to cross a creek and ruined the motor. :angry: )

I think there's a certain amount of marketing going on on all those fuel additives that they like to hawk on TV and at Jiffy Lube.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this with interest.
One of the things the author mentions is that modern injectors (post ~1988) don't foul. In my own experience with FI'd vehicles, I can only say that I ran my old '91 Toyota V-6 4WD pickup up almost to 300,000 miles burning nothing but the cheapest gasoline I could find. I lived in the SF Bay Area, then SoCal, then up here in the Northwest. That truck lost a little compression but basically was delivering 19-20 highway mpg for as long as I had it.

That truck ran strong right up to the day I gave it to my son (who then proceeded to hydrolock it trying to cross a creek and ruined the motor. :angry: )

I think there's a certain amount of marketing going on on all those fuel additives that they like to hawk on TV and at Jiffy Lube.
Not all injectors are alike. The ones used in TBI systems, for example, have orifices a kidney stone passer could grow to love. On the other hand, multi-port injectors on small motors, such as the Feej, have fairly tiny orifices-though even the FJR's have 4 ports. Newer systems, looking for even better atomization, can have as many as 12 on the same size face. Minuscule, and more prone to restriction problems should they occur. Lot's of idling, fuel with high moisture levels, tanks run consistently low (see RadioHowies treatise on the results of that) etc can reduce the size of or plug orifices, though not all at once. A low perf motor won't realize the effects as quickly as a high perf, high demand motor will. Your test is therefore disallowed. It didn't hydrolock, the end of an injector just rusted away, and the pent up pressure from the plugged ones just loaded a cylinder to death. Unh huuh, betcha...

+1 on the Lucas Fuel System stuff. I add 2oz. to a tank about 2-3 times a month. A bottle from Wally World will last a good 16 fill ups.
So when using the Lucas product, do you now find that you have to carry a bunch of extra fuses, diodes, and jumper alligator clips in you tool kit?
Nope, not yet <fingers crossed> Is their something about Lucas Oil products I am missing?

I remember your engine imploding but thought it was related to the CCT or something along those lines.
Nope, it's a reference to Lucas Electrics, which were legendary for leaving British bikes and cars stranded in the dark.

Nope, it's a reference to Lucas Electrics, which were legendary for leaving British bikes and cars stranded in the dark.
Know why Brits like warm beer? Lucas made refrigerators too. Thank you, thank you, here all week, yes, thank yu vry much.