Installed Dauntless Hitch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripntx

Reaction score
These bolts were to long and required several washers to keep bolt from bottoming out against frame. I solved the problem with fender washers.

IMG_0590.jpg

PB041568.jpg

PB041569.jpg

Took me about 3 hours to install hitch, but really spent some time figuring out electrical lighting.

Disregard the label for harness from Electrical connections, it wasn't used. Pink connectors from 4 way relay to bike pigtail was replaced with 6 pin connectors.

PA181553.jpg

Cut into tail light harness along left side under passenger seat and added 6 pin connectors. Allows me to by pass 4 way relay wire harness when trailer isn't actually being towed.

PA251559.jpg

PA251562.jpg

PA251566.jpg

Connectors were purchased from vintage connections

White Nylon Connector Pair, 6-pin M/F shells + 7 each M/F OEM 2.8mm spades

Item # HP6 Pair, White $3.00 2

Original Ratcheting Crimping Tool Closeout

Item # RTL-1 $25.00 1

Hitch, pigtail, and 4 way relay harness came from Dauntless Hitch group buy a couple of months ago. Have trailer, waiting on seats to return from Russell Day Long, then I'll post towing experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed the same hitch on my 04. Seems the upper mount is different but the main supports are the same... I was not thrilled with the wiring set up and have since ordered a Rivco trailer light isolator (previously used on my last Goldwing). (Called Rivco directly and got free shipping!). I have a 5 to 4 wire converter that will be soldiered in to that harness. The Rivco is a 5 wire set up, I need a standard 4 wire. I 'll be using posi-taps to tap into the rear, main harness.

I agree, the wiring setup was a pain. I spent 3 hours installing hitch; but spent days reading on the net about 5 wire bike lights and 4 wire trailer lights. Finally turned out nice once the harness was set-up by adding hitachi connectors. Have purchased seperate turn signals for trailer, so my trailer will be 5 wire as well. Should have the trailer lights set-up in a couple of weeks.

Nice installation & pictures.

Like John, I'm still waiting for a replacement hitch hoop and missing parts from the group buy. :angry2: Guess I'll just have to pull my trailers with the wing until Dauntless comes through. <_<

At the time I felt like a trader backing out of the group buy after I was so gung-ho and quickly on board.

I didn't feel comfortable about the hitch being designed with a standard ball hitch in mind while I would

be running a Unigo trailer. I feel the Unigo puts more and different strains on the hitch.

Now hearing of your problems with Dauntless coming through with wiring and such I still feel bad about my

drop out...but now I feel like I did the wise thing for my situation.

I just talked to Mark at Unigo Trailers and he sent me pics of their brand new hitch made for the GEN II FJR.

I'll be getting one of those instead. I'll post pics on this forum after I ask him if he minds. The hitch looks

much beefier than the Dauntless.

At the time I felt like a trader backing out of the group buy after I was so gung-ho and quickly on board.I didn't feel comfortable about the hitch being designed with a standard ball hitch in mind while I would

be running a Unigo trailer. I feel the Unigo puts more and different strains on the hitch.

Now hearing of your problems with Dauntless coming through with wiring and such I still feel bad about my

drop out...but now I feel like I did the wise thing for my situation.

I just talked to Mark at Unigo Trailers and he sent me pics of their brand new hitch made for the GEN II FJR.

I'll be getting one of those instead. I'll post pics on this forum after I ask him if he minds. The hitch looks

much beefier than the Dauntless.
No worries on backing out of the group buy.

If, I knew how Dauntless was going to handle the GB in the manner they did I would not have put it on.

Dauntless seems to have a great reputation, but for some reason just dropped the ball with the Gen II hitch and wiring. I tend to believe the issue is a matter of timing. Jay, the owner recently moved out from the shop to more of a management/sales role. This move seems to have let some things happen that still need a little work.

However, when all is said and done I am sure I will be happy with my unit. I still do not have my wiring harness and I am waiting on it before I install the hitch.

My '06 AE tows my trailer without any problems. On good Friday 2009 my wife and I towed our trailer from Angleton TX (south west of houston) to Lake Charles LA and back. We only stayed in Lake Charles a few hours to eat and drop some coins in the slots. Several other couples rode with us. FJR AE doesn't miss a beat while towing, and I have no regrets adding on the hitch. Trailer has 8" wheels, rear of bike has been dropped 7/8" with kouba links, front end still stock height, levels out nicely when loaded and both of us seated on bike.

Other farkles recently added since christmas include:

Cee Bailey screen 3W X 2T;

N-Line shelf;

Zumo 550 with XM hockey puck;

GL1500 hand wings;

Hella FF50 lights;

Garauld hella light brackets;

FJrandy's horn harness;

133 decible horns from AutoZone.

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Nice looking trailer.

I will try to post some of my trailer and AE when I get the bike back from the shop. Who knows, we may end up with a trailer section on the forum as more get trailers. I guess it was a good thing I was not towing the trailer when I got hit.

On a side note, is your seat lowered? The height differance between your front and rear seat seems huge.

My seat is in the lowered position, and they are Russell Day Long's, which I let them know I was vertically challenged and wanted to be able to reach the ground better.

But, the wifes seat has side wings which angle up, the passenger seat also starts up high at the front but is scooped down in the rear. It positions her properly for the stock top case and keeps her from sliding forward.

Does the trailer bounce at all when pulling? Do you have the leaf springs or the torsion springs?

Nice write up on the harness install. I just got my hitch last week.

The harbor freight trailer came with two leaf springs on each side, and I removed one from each side; also lowered 8" trailer tire pressure to 30 psi. Trailer has a bounce when it is empty; fifty pounds or more load and trailer is very steady, and really tows very well when it is loaded with 100 # or more. Should have seen the stares I received while loading up 2 bags of fertilizer and 2 bags of insecticide at Wal Mart the other week.

Would really like to purchase some torsion springs for retrofit, but haven't a clue as to which ones to buy &/or the place with the best price for them. Plus, they might change tongue height, and I really do not want to purchase 12" wheels when the ones on it are practically new.

I finally got my hitch installed yesterday afternoon. Props to the Dauntless folks for the quality of their product and the flawless fit on the Feej without interfering with side bags etc.

I was less impressed with the quality of their instructions/photos, but with the help of this thread it all went together and no parts left over! I do have to buy a long bolt and spacer today as the right side upper bag mount displaced my trick Penske reservoir mounting bracket. You can't have everything!

Try these, they are rated for 500 lb, smallest torsion springs I have been able to find.<a href="https://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200335740_200335740" target="_blank">

</a>

<a href="https://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200335740_200335740" target="_blank">Northern Tool - 500 lb torsion springs</a>
Here's some 250# (each) I found on feebay:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/250-Rubber-Torsion-Half-Axle-Motorcycle-Trailer-Camper-/290448920401?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a01acf51

Hurry, there's only 380 available!