Installed new Rifle windshiled last night

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the +5 high shield; it's at a 33 -45deg angle, with the top closer to you. In the lowest position, lot's of air comes under the shield. The shield (+5 +4) with tuning blocks works well with the electric feature.

Just heard from Rifle. The new shield ships today! 4 days to delivery and then the test. Will post here to (hopefully..though not too worried) continue the Rifle love.

Been doing some farkling getting ready for the big ride to Alaska.

Rifle (soon)

OES sliders...gravel doncha know?

Yami top case (with that very cool cargo net add on thingy)

GPS mounts for Sony GPS and Sony digital video cam.

Alaska Butt pad

LD comfort shorts (is this really a bike farkle or one for me?)

PR2's for just before the trip start.

Cortech tank bag with ports for camelback and headset.

Throttlemeisters

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the +5 Rifle mounted today, and the bronze tint looks nice (not as dark as I thought it would be). I ran into another bike rider at a coffee stop today and without any prompting, he commented how nice the tinted shield looked. Immediately, I thought this was too tall for me (6', 32 inseam), and after a country ride and freeway ride, I do wish it was an inch shorter. It is 24", not 23 as I was expecting per earlier post. The Calsci large is 22.

I like to have the screen at chin level or may a tad higher, and this happens in the lowest position. If I raise it 2" in an attempt to get more airflow underneath, it's at my eyebrows..... somebody said they see over it an inch in the up position. No way, I am completely buried and I'll bet it's over the top of my helmet. Anyway, my initial impression is I would like it to be a +4 at most, not +5.

Having said that, I'm taking it to the CFR this weekend, so we'll see if I can get used to it.

First impressions, noise much reduced at full down, disappears if I raise it an inch or two. Full up, no backpressure, no noise. Now I hear the gear whine of the drive line. I wasn't wearing earplugs with my EXO 900, and didn't feel I needed to. The extra width at the top sure quiets things down.

Overall, happy just wish for that inch shorter.

This will be an excellent foul weather shield. I am surprised at the airflow that can reach my torso, assisted by my Baker Air Wings also. The Calsci let more air past it at the bottom if I raised it 2". It was decent in the rain too.

Anyway, more impressions after next week's riding.

I tried an Alaska Sheepskin butt pad. Unexpected result is I sit about an inch higher on the pad. My Rifle now at full up is right at eye level where before I was looking through it. More than one way to skin a cat....

Just put my order in for +5 +4 Rifle Look forward to riding with a great windscreen. Great to see so many reviews of the windscreens

My Gen I came with a Cee Bailey's standard contour +4 width and +4 or +5 height, which I found to be worse than than the stock shield for both noise and buffeting.

My Rifle Touring (standard size) shield arrived last night. The difference in performance at all speeds is huge. Like all the Gen II riders are saying, it drastically changes the character of the bike. In clean air (no vehicles in front of me), it was very easy to find a position that had absolutely no buffeting with the face shield all the way down yet still provided lots of airflow to my helmet vents. In dirty air, buffeting and noise were vastly reduced compared to either the stock or the Cee Bailey's. I've spent many miles on a BMW R1200RT with a V-Stream and for me the Rifle Touring on the FJR has equal or better buffeting and noise performance than the RT in clean air and comparable performance in dirty air.

For reference, I'm 6'0 with a 32" inseam. I have the stock seat, stock pegs, and handlebar risers (not sure who made them).

Update on my Rifle - It didn't really take that long to get used to it once I experienced a larger variety of conditions. Works good in the rain!! But after the CFR event, I can say it's the best one I've ever had. It's a keeper.