installing garmin 660

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lots of electrical accessories on my bike and most are wired through a fuse block that is only hot when the bike is running because it's run through a relay. But my Zumo 660 is wired to be always hot because I don't want it to shut off when I stop for gas or a quick rest stop. It's a pain to wait for it to reboot and then reload my route. I never leave the Zumo in the cradle if the bike's out of sight, so no problem with dead battery while on the road. The only problem that could arise is if I leave it powered while parked in my garage, but I don't forget stuff like that.

Not trying to convince you that your idea is wrong, but just offering another option.

+1 -

I have had my GPS on key-switched power in the past. If you are using a zumo, or other GPS with a battery backup power, the screen will give you a certain length of time (15 seconds?) to press a button to keep it running on battery power each time you turn the bike power off. That's OK except if you forget about the GPS and the timer times out and shuts the GPS off, then you are waiting for it to boot back up and get a new satellite fix before you can get going again. It also tends to break your trip log files into segments. They can be rejoined after the fact. but it's just one more annoyance.

A better plan is to just leave it with power applied at all times and turn the GPS off when you are done for the day. Generally I take my GPS off the bike at night anyway (for safekeeping) so there is no drain on the bike's battery, but even if you didn't it wouldn't use much power just to charge up the GPS's battery with the GPS off.

Is there a problem with pushing the button to just turn it off? Or are you needing to kill the power to the mount for some reason. I usually push the off button while it is in the truck and I am leaving it overnight. If I am using it on the bike, I push the release button, put it in the little wallet and put the weatherproof cover in it's place.

I would agree with all of the above opinions. My 665 is constant wired and I've never forgotten to turn it off at the end of the day. I was just offering suggestions on how you could do what you want. But like others have said. I would reconsider. The only thing I have on switched power on my bike is the radar detector.

I used to have my 660 on constant power, but got sick of it. The biggest issue was that if I powered the unit off myself, the MP3 player would reset to the first song.

So, I put it on switched power. If I need it on at a gas stop, I just press the button to keep it on. If I forget and it turns off, it boots up very quickly, and is ready to go before I get my gloves on. I don't have to worry about leaving it on in the garage.

I like it switched.

I used to have my 660 on constant power, but got sick of it. The biggest issue was that if I powered the unit off myself, the MP3 player would reset to the first song.

So, I put it on switched power. If I need it on at a gas stop, I just press the button to keep it on. If I forget and it turns off, it boots up very quickly, and is ready to go before I get my gloves on. I don't have to worry about leaving it on in the garage.

I like it switched.
Dude! You're on crack, man. :eek:

I just tested my Zumo 660 (and also 550 for that matter) and as long as you do not first pause the audio before turning the unit off with the power button, it remembers exactly where you were in your playlist, whether you turn it off by the power button or by disconnecting power.

Try it again, mate.

I like it switched.

I just tested my Zumo 660 (and also 550 for that matter) and as long as you do not first pause the audio before turning the unit off with the power button, it remembers exactly where you were in your playlist, whether you turn it off by the power button or by disconnecting power.

Try it again, mate.
Well, that would explain it. I always paused my music when parking my bike and then would turn the Zumo off. I usually pause the music and then back it up to the beginning of the song playing.

How the Hell would I know the unit does that. I thought it was just being glitchy. However, I still like it switched. Like some people like vanilla and some like chocolate.

I like it switched.

Try it again, mate.
Well, that would explain it. I always paused my music when parking my bike and then would turn the Zumo off. I usually pause the music and then back it up to the beginning of the song playing.

How the Hell would I know the unit does that. I thought it was just being glitchy. However, I still like it switched. Like some people like vanilla and some like chocolate.

I have lots of electrical accessories on my bike and most are wired through a fuse block that is only hot when the bike is running because it's run through a relay. But my Zumo 660 is wired to be always hot because I don't want it to shut off when I stop for gas or a quick rest stop. It's a pain to wait for it to reboot and then reload my route. I never leave the Zumo in the cradle if the bike's out of sight, so no problem with dead battery while on the road. The only problem that could arise is if I leave it powered while parked in my garage, but I don't forget stuff like that.

Not trying to convince you that your idea is wrong, but just offering another option.
+1 Harald I've always run mine off the battery but I just installed a fuze block a couple days ago for some other stuff. Check out my pics in the group guy thread.

+1 Harald I've always run mine off the battery but I just installed a fuze block a couple days ago for some other stuff. Check out my pics in the group guy thread.
Do you ever have any trouble driving around all the time without the GPS and a hot cradle?

I got 'cher chocolate right here mang... It's sort of a chocolate pretzel. :p Enjoy!

170416_main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I got 'cher chocolate right here mang... It's sort of a chocolate pretzel. :p Enjoy!

170416_main.jpg
You're a ride chocolate pretzel. :****:

That's it I need to order that TourTech mount, I mean it just looks cool.

I'm wiring mine to Fuzeblocks FZ-1 so that I may mess around with switched or unswtiched (by just moving fuze position). I **think** I'm gonna put it switched for normal trips and farting around and constant for rallies and such.

That is a very nice part of using the FuzeBlock, that you can change from switched to unswitched in a few seconds.

As for the Tourtech mount, man that is a big chunk of metal to be hanging off the RAM mount balls. The GPS is already on the heavy side, then adding all of that weight would make it want to flex around on the rubber balls even more.

https://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=14688.msg111619#msg111619Here's what I came up with for "securing" the Zumo 66X on a motorcycle.

That is a very nice part of using the FuzeBlock, that you can change from switched to unswitched in a few seconds.

As for the Tourtech mount, man that is a big chunk of metal to be hanging off the RAM mount balls. The GPS is already on the heavy side, then adding all of that weight would make it want to flex around on the rubber balls even more.

https://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=14688.msg111619#msg111619Here's what I came up with for "securing" the Zumo 66X on a motorcycle.
Well need to disagree with you as the tour tech is made from aluminum except for the locking mechanism. It does not vibrate or move around at all.

As I have run it for so long I can say that from experience with the product. It may look big or heavy but it is not and it makes no difference to the ram mount ball.

Using a FuzeBlock that is always powered on the GPS line never an issue. Just turn it off and that is it. Or if you are on the side of the road and want to find something it is nice to save the 660 battery and just turn on the GPS and use it.