Installing Rear Shocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r5705

Reaction score
Lots of people seems to think FJRs greatly benefit from upgraded suspension, both front and rear. Rear shocks seem to be hellaciously expensive. Aside from that, is the installation of a new rear shock something that most of us do NOT do, i.e., you're an idiot or an ace mechanic if you don't have a shop do it for you?

As for front suspension, I have seen references to cartridges. I don't understand that at all. What is it that one might do to the front suspension to effect a reasonable (i.e., not for racing) suspension upgrade?

Thank you.

Lots of people seems to think FJRs greatly benefit from upgraded suspension, both front and rear. Rear shocks seem to be hellaciously expensive. Aside from that, is the installation of a new rear shock something that most of us do NOT do, i.e., you're an idiot or an ace mechanic if you don't have a shop do it for you?

As for front suspension, I have seen references to cartridges. I don't understand that at all. What is it that one might do to the front suspension to effect a reasonable (i.e., not for racing) suspension upgrade?

Thank you.

Thank you.

?????

What do you care what others think? If you are mechanically inclined do it, great. If not, have a shop do it, great. What's the point. You either want an upgraded suspension for the performance/handling or you don't? What's with what others think of you?

Google, Site:fjrforum suspension upgrades (or whatever) you'll find a ton of data on stock suspension settings and aftermarket suspension upgrades

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok #2 response to be closed soon.

?????

What do you care what others think? If you are mechanically inclined do it, great. If not, have a shop do it, great. What's the point. You either want an upgraded suspension for the performance/handling or you don't? What's with what others think of you?

Google, Site:fjrforum suspension upgrades (or whatever) you'll find a ton of data on stock suspension settings and aftermarket suspension upgrades.

Ok, I'l play some more. #3 response to be closed soon...

?????

Google, Site:fjrforum suspension upgrades (or whatever) you'll find a ton of data on stock suspension settings and aftermarket suspension upgrades.

Ok I'll bite...

Shocks are very expensive, figure $600 - $1000 for a quality aftermarket unit. It will be the last shock you'll ever buy. Have it rebuilt every couple years for $150 and you have new suspension. Even for a caveman, installation is a snap, in fact most all maintenance on the FJR is very easy to perform due to both design and the resource this forum provides.

If you don't want to go full boat on the forks, invest $100 in a set of springs ordered for you weight and riding style. Between both, you'll have a better balanced and handling bike.

Just my $.02 YMMV

--G

r5705,

What the Bluesman is trying to say is that his Riods are flaring up right now and he doesn't remember the last time he put some decent fiber in his body resulting in a bowel moment that resembles squeezing a tree trunk wrapped in sandpaper coming out of his butt!!

He meant to say that there are many options and all sorts of info on this subject. All you have to do is search for it. Google is your Friend!

....there are many options and all sorts of info on this subject. All you have to do is search for it. Google is your Friend!
What I was looking for was a 'voice of experience,' e.g, 'don't try to do this yourself unless you're an experienced mechanic and have all the tools in the world,' or possibly 'on this particular bike, it's really rather simple and you don't have to take apart the entire back half of the motorcycle.' I wasn't asking which upgrade is best, or which is better than which other - just trying to find out, from FJRers more experienced than I, whether I should possibly attempt this myself or whether I'd be a fool to try. Isn't that what a forum such as this is all about - sharing our collective experience?

Multiple duplicate threads merged.

Details on the forum and on FJR-help type web sites on how to do it. If you have the basic tooks, the rear shock swap is easy. The forks a little tougher.

....there are many options and all sorts of info on this subject. All you have to do is search for it. Google is your Friend!
What I was looking for was a 'voice of experience,' e.g, 'don't try to do this yourself unless you're an experienced mechanic and have all the tools in the world,' or possibly 'on this particular bike, it's really rather simple and you don't have to take apart the entire back half of the motorcycle.' I wasn't asking which upgrade is best, or which is better than which other - just trying to find out, from FJRers more experienced than I, whether I should possibly attempt this myself or whether I'd be a fool to try. Isn't that what a forum such as this is all about - sharing our collective experience?
Well... You pretty much sumed it up very well in your post. If you're a decent mechanic and you have the special tools to get to the top bolt and have an exrta set of hands to help you hold stuff up then you can do it. It's been done by many here. I'm just letting you know it ain't for the faint hearted. I've been in aircraft maintenance for half my life and when I got to the top bolt and saw what i had to dismantle to get to it, I decided to close it up and take it to a shop. Wasn't scared of it, just chose not to deal with it. The shop price was well worth it. Just my $.02.
no.gif
not_i.gif

@r5705

I am upgrading the front and rear suspension on my '04 as we speak. As I explained in an earlier post, 2012 was my first year on an FJR, I bought it cheap to see if I would like it - I love it! My only complaint was during slow speed, tight corners, the bike felt like it wanted to fall down and, if the road surface was broken, I'd be forever stopping to change my shorts! I have fifty years of riding under my belt, so it couldn't be me......could it? Only way I could see was to make a winter project of upgrading the suspension, steering head bearings and tires.

I guess the point of my ramble is. If you are happy with your bike's handling - great! If not, it's not a big job and you get to see how it all works.

I bought my suspension stuff from Traxxion Dynamics in GA. https://www.traxxion.com/sporttouringsuspension.aspx They were great to deal with and answered all my questions prior to the sale - no pressure.

Hope this helps?

Al
cold.gif

Don't be put off by what might seem like initiatory ritual hazing. There is a wealth of information and experience to be found here, some in the archives and some by simply asking. Have fun!

Well.... I'm just letting you know it ain't for the faint hearted. I've been in anal probe maintenance for half my life and when I got to the top bolt and saw what i had to dismantle to get to it, My mangina closed up....I and it was scared of it!!!! Just chose not to deal with it. The shop price was well worth it. Just my $.02.
no.gif
not_i.gif
Pussy...

You do not have to be an ace mechanic or an idiot to change the rear shock.

Same goes for the forks. No special tools required unless you do count the piece of wood

I used between the jack and the swing arm. You will need wrenches, sockets, extensions torque wrench etc.

Nothing that can't be found at sears.

Experience can't be downloaded contrary to the Matrix. But if you want it, it's there for the taking.

Fuk........... Fukkk ........ Fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk... Something that finally made sense was posted.. Remind me to kiss you deeply when we hook up Z!

Now this I understand, thank you so much! I also had some fiber and feel much better. In fact, I'm on the can typing this now....

I have removed, installed and swapped the rear shocks on GenI’s with and without ABS a total of four times now. It’s gravy to me, but I also know my around a wrench. If you’re ok with doing mechanical things, go for it. If not, call a friend or forum member near you to help.

Try this link for starters. FJRTech Wilbers shock replacement. If it makes sense, then do it. If not, get help, or take it in to a trusted mechanic.

Good luck!

Ahhhhhh.... There's the Bluesman that we all know! Welcome back my friend. Fiber!! It does a body good!

Insert "Typing on the John" smiley (Here).