Installing Rear Shocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....there are many options and all sorts of info on this subject. All you have to do is search for it. Google is your Friend!
What I was looking for was a 'voice of experience,' e.g, 'don't try to do this yourself unless you're an experienced mechanic and have all the tools in the world,' or possibly 'on this particular bike, it's really rather simple and you don't have to take apart the entire back half of the motorcycle.' I wasn't asking which upgrade is best, or which is better than which other - just trying to find out, from FJRers more experienced than I, whether I should possibly attempt this myself or whether I'd be a fool to try. Isn't that what a forum such as this is all about - sharing our collective experience?
Well.... I'm just letting you know it ain't for the faint hearted. I've been in anal probe maintenance for half my life and when I got to the top bolt and saw what i had to dismantle to get to it, My mangina closed up....I and it was scared of it!!!! Just chose not to deal with it. The shop price was well worth it. Just my $.02. :no: :not_i:
Pussy...
Not a Pussy Bust. I've done things with a wrench that'll curl your toes. Just wasn't in the mood to **** with it. Insert "Pussy Cat showing middle finger" smiley (Here).

Ahhhhhh.... There's the Bluesman that we all know! Welcome back my friend. Fiber!! It does a body good!Insert "Typing on the John" smiley (Here).
Fiber yummmm! I like it!
punk.gif

Put a new Pensky on the rear and springs in the front. Pretty strait forward and will even out the bike. Doing one without the other is not going to be a good thing. Leave the valveing alone untile next year. You will see huge improvment from these relative easy upgrades. Call Lee at Traxxion. He will set you up and it will all work as he says. I did it o miles on my 10. I will go after the valving but I am in no hurry, maybe when I need the shock rebuilt.

I used a Pensky but either are top shocks. The shock is pretty easy and the forks not much harder for just springs. Valving is a lot more involved and I will install mine when I am ready but it is a more involved process.

Down and dirty shock and spring will open up a whole new riding experiance for you.

spring%20guide.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I recently whined and bitched about removing an Ohlins shock with a piggyback reservoir on an ABS equipped FJR, I would never pay to have someone else do it. I'm obviously never been or going to be a mcy mechanic, but with all the procedures photo documented on the internet...even a cave man can do it.

stock shock or aftermarket w/o piggyback...easy peasy.

forks...scary the first time, but after that, no biggy.

As much as I recently whined and bitched about removing an Ohlins shock with a piggyback reservoir on an ABS equipped FJR, I would never pay to have someone else do it. I'm obviously never been or going to be a mcy mechanic, but with all the procedures photo documented on the internet...even a cave man can do it.
stock shock or aftermarket w/o piggyback...easy peasy.

forks...scary the first time, but after that, no biggy.
Good to know Wheaton. Next time if I'm not lazy, I'll try it. Couldn't hurt to know to do it yourself.

You can keep it a 1-man job with the use of a pipe stand "sky hook".
shb02.jpg
It may be that I'm more than ordinarily ignorant, but the fact is, I have no idea what's going on here. I understand that the pipe stand is serving as the base for the skyhook, but I don't know what the skyhook is holding up, nor do I know why. If I had to guess, I'm not sure I could. If you're going to remove the forks, obviously you'd have to find some method for supporting the front end of the bike, but that particular pipe stand doesn't really appear to be sufficiently substantial. If you could explain what's going on, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

...but that particular pipe stand doesn't really appear to be sufficiently substantial...
With the bike on the center stand, the front end load being supported by the pipe stand is not really that big since the center stand is not too far from the center of gravity...especially with the front wheel removed.

The photo can also be considered supporting evidence...

I think it's fair to say I'm not a proficient mechanic, but with the help that is on the forum and easily searchable, I have been able to do things like install induction plates, change spark plugs, check valve clearances, rebuild the forks and install the new Penske rear shock.

Now if I can do that's one thing, but if Bugman can do it, then anyone can do it.

Disclosure, I'm a desk jockey and do nothing mechanical for a living.

I think it's fair to say I'm not a proficient mechanic, but with the help that is on the forum and easily searchable, I have been able to do things like install induction plates, change spark plugs, check valve clearances, rebuild the forks and install the new Penske rear shock.
Now if I can do that's one thing, but if Bugman can do it, then anyone can do it.

You are going to have a harder time in PA since you won't be able to borrow my tools anymore!
bye.gif

...but that particular pipe stand doesn't really appear to be sufficiently substantial...
With the bike on the center stand, the front end load being supported by the pipe stand is not really that big since the center stand is not too far from the center of gravity...especially with the front wheel removed.

The photo can also be considered supporting evidence...
I put some jack stands under the sliders to support front when I'm working on it. There is hardly any weight on the front end when you rock the bike back on the center stand.

You are going to have a harder time in PA since you won't be able to borrow my tools anymore!
bye.gif
Jamie, I did borrow your torque wrench to snug up the shock. Come to PA and get it.
tease.gif
finger.gif

Disclosure, I'm a desk jockey and do nothing mechanical for a living. Good!
bye.gif
Jamie, I did borrow your torque wrench to snug up the shock. Come to PA and get it.
tease.gif
finger.gif
Here is how you apply torque. Do you want your bike on a battery tender or not?

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

PS. My beer fridge is full. How is yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done the Wilbers upgrade to my '05. Now, with 40K miles and an aching for a Russell Day Long saddle, I'm convinced the 2013 is the platform for me.

Question for the '13 riders here: will the Wilbers from my '05 fit on the '13?

Follow up question: will the Wilbers fork springs from my '05 fit the '13?

I'm about ready to send in the Wilbers for a rebuild if it will fit the '13. Too many improvements not to make the switch, and I'm trying to arrange for more riding time as I reach that stage of my working career (translation: old fart wanting to retire).

I'd wait for the '14, but if that brown color is the US choice, then I'll have to pass. Unless the active suspension from the Euro AE is an option. Then I might could get used to that brown.
punk.gif

Suspension upgrade is a must on this bike..... did my 05 right after I bought it with the Wilburs group buy, if you have the right tools and can take your time - its well worth it and pretty easy. You may swear a bit just trying to get your hands in some places but in the end its worth it... First time around I had help from a friend, but just pulled the shock out for a rebuild myself beginning this year. No big deal...... worth it....

The bike handles far better with the front and rear upgrade.