Insurance Article on Deer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, too.

The advice is good and relevant (imo). One thing from the article -- this statistic: "According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), large animal-vehicle collisions resulted in an average of 187 fatalities in recent years."

Over what period of time?

In the state of Wisconsin alone, there have been over 125 documented fatalities because of deer-hits; 15,000 deer-hit injuries; more than 200,000 recorded deer-motor vehicle crashes -- and there are more deer now than there has ever been.... :angry:

Always wear a seatbelt. The most severe injuries in deer-vehicle collisions usually result from failure to use a seatbelt.
Is there a seatbelt write-up on FJR Tech or somewhere? I think it would be a good farkle....

Always wear a seatbelt. The most severe injuries in deer-vehicle collisions usually result from failure to use a seatbelt.
Is there a seatbelt write-up on FJR Tech or somewhere? I think it would be a good farkle....
No, but I think the Goldwing has an airbag. And Harleys have dirt bags.

No, but I think the Goldwing has an airbag. And Harleys have dirt bags.
Thanks for the chuckle. :yahoo:

Thanks for the article -- timely for me. I picked up my first FJR 2 nights ago, and drove home 90 miles over winding, 2 lane roads on a foggy night. I sure know enough to slow down and take it easy with a new bike in these conditions.

About 15 miles into the ride, however, I had the closest encounter with a deer I've ever had. Missed it by maybe 2 or three feet, the deer passing right in front of me. As soon as I saw it I was on the front brake (already had it covered). As this is a new bike, though, I didn't have a feel for how hard to squeeze it (it's a 2003 without ABS). Squeezing progressively harder, then. As I just miss the deer, still trying to brake harder, I notice that I'm also on the rear brake, and it's locked up and the rear is sliding out a bit.

Anyway, real nice bike here, very glad I didn't hit that deer only 15 miles from where I bought the bike.

I'll be practicing braking Real Soon Now.

And trying not to wish I had found an ABS bike at a good price...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have to say, my vehicle doesnt have a seatbelt and I doubt that I am going to just "slow down" :rolleyes: but the dawn/dusk and october start of the breeding season and one means many are all very good points.

I would also argue, as a person who studies animal behavior for a living and as one who lives in WV, the deer strike capitol of the US (so I have quite a bit of first hand experience), if a deer is in the road and you are hard on the breaks honking the horn is a very good first step. My opinion is that this puts the deer squarely into predator avoidance mode because they know they have been spotted since they flinch at the sound of the horn. In contrast to what the article says their behavior becomes more predictable under these circumstances. My approach is that if there is a single deer or one that is your greatest threat, to the degree that you can steer under hard breaking, aim for the butt especially if you think you will not be able to slow down enough to avoid the animal with out its help. The deer will run and when it runs it will not be where it is. The deer will also move its body in a forward direction, meaning that the first open space will be where the end of its body currently occupies. When the animal recognizes that it is being preyed upon it will run perpendicular to your direction of travel. Meaning if you are the predator, you will have to make a 90 degree change in direction to give chase, which will disipate your current speed advantage. In fact, the only direction you can be all but garanteed that it wont run is the same direction you are going; it knows instinctively that it will loose that race. Hence the animal will attempt to get its butt out of your path meaning that the rest of the body will have to get out of the way first. I regularly have 10-15 real close calls per year here in WV; in fact I had two just on the way back from Indy. These were instances where I was at maximum full on breaking. For this kind of deer in the road encounter I think that this is the best approach. You milage may vary.

Of course this would mean nothing if it the typical side attack that they do on bikes. These are always the closest and scarriest calls for me because they are essentially trying to race across the street in front of you when you are too close.

There are a couple deer around here too, and my biggest single "concern" on a motorcycle. I follow the same procedures as the above. I touched the rear end of a deer with the fender of my truck once, and the nose of a deer was within a foot of my VSTAR1100 handlebar once. What I got from the article (aside from previous comments) was flashing your lights -- I did not know they focused on them and became mesmerized. If I have time I'll add that to my deer avoidance procedures.

There are a couple deer around here too, and my biggest single "concern" on a motorcycle. I follow the same procedures as the above. I touched the rear end of a deer with the fender of my truck once, and the nose of a deer was within a foot of my VSTAR1100 handlebar once. What I got from the article (aside from previous comments) was flashing your lights -- I did not know they focused on them and became mesmerized. If I have time I'll add that to my deer avoidance procedures.
Actually I dont think that it is the case that they become "mesmirized" Deer freeze as a natural response to detecting a potential preditor. Most visual systems are tuned to detect movement and hence if the preditor has not detected you at the point you have detected them, not moving is the best response to remain undetected. they only move once they believe they have been detected and flashing lights might help convince them that they have been spotted.

In fact it has been shown in frogs that if a prey item does not move, the frog cannot tell it is there (aka it is blind to non moving prey). lucky for the frog, worms dont have eyes :)

Well I have to say, my vehicle doesnt have a seatbelt and I doubt that I am going to just "slow down" :rolleyes: but the dawn/dusk and october start of the breeding season and one means many are all very good points.
I would also argue, as a person who studies animal behavior for a living and as one who lives in WV, the deer strike capitol of the US (so I have quite a bit of first hand experience), if a deer is in the road and you are hard on the breaks honking the horn is a very good first step. My opinion is that this puts the deer squarely into predator avoidance mode because they know they have been spotted since they flinch at the sound of the horn.

Of course this would mean nothing if it the typical side attack that they do on bikes. These are always the closest and scarriest calls for me because they are essentially trying to race across the street in front of you when you are too close.
I was the one who hit a deer in July of this year and I'm still recovering. Unfortunately my sweet '03 was toast and the deer was killed. It sprinted across from my left right into me. I had about 1 second to react and hit it quite hard.

My reply is mainly about honking your horn at the deer. I am a long-haul truck driver with a Freightliner tractor with VERY loud air horns. :to_become_senile: I have honked many times at deer standing on the shoulder of the road and they don't even look up! Vehicle noise is vehicle noise to them. It means nothing. Their only predators are quiet, stealthy and do not make any noise. So a car or motorcycle horn is a total waste of your effort. I have heard that at night when you see a deer, to turn off your headlights (in a vehicle that you can do so of course) so they can see you to react and get away. I haven't had the opportunity to try this yet in my truck but it's food for thought. I also wonder about the benefits of driving without seeing... :dntknw:

I have only hit one deer with my truck and that was in Montana on a two lane road where the deer tried to run but slipped on the pavement and I hit it with my right steer tire and then 4 drivers. I was carrying 48,000 lbs. of trees. I did not go back to see if the deer lived... :dead:

Bill

aim for the butt
My thought, too. Aim for where they were, more than likely.
I attended a police-sponsored riding clinic, and they teach their officers to "steer to the rear" (of the vehicle) when a vehicle pulls into their path, not unlike "aim for the butt"....

Actually I dont think that it is the case that they become "mesmirized" Deer freeze as a natural response to detecting a potential preditor. Most visual systems are tuned to detect movement and hence if the preditor has not detected you at the point you have detected them, not moving is the best response to remain undetected. they only move once they believe they have been detected and flashing lights might help convince them that they have been spotted.

In fact it has been shown in frogs that if a prey item does not move, the frog cannot tell it is there (aka it is blind to non moving prey). lucky for the frog, worms dont have eyes :)
But science, shmience! It was published on the internet... it gotta be true!! :p

Your theory/fact/guess based on experience sounds more likely to me.

I always run secondary roads here in deer country in the center of the road,

as traffic permits. A lot of counties have gave up or been lax on mowing our "buffer zone".