Insurance Article on Deer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deer strikes are pretty common around here, so much so that the expense of disposing of the dead deer has gotten too high, and the current policy is to get the deer off the pavement (mostly, anyway) and then to 'let nature handle it' (This means that we now have the additional hazard of hitting scavengers. I'd never even heard of someone hitting a coyote before I did...)

I've had 2 deer 'incidents' when I was driving, been a passenger in 1, and been a driver/passenger in more close encounters than I can count. I hit a deer with my old truck several years ago, there was no significant damage to the truck (there was blood and hair on the hood and grill, but it was impossible to determine which dents in the steel bumper and which ripples in the hood were new) and the deer was DOI, I called the county sheriff to report it, they asked if I was going to need a tow truck or anything, and I said no, they asked if the deer was still inside the white lines (it wasn't, it landed in the ditch). I'm not sure what the response would have been if the deer was in the road, if they would have asked me to drag it to the side or if they would have sent Rookie out to do it, or maybe just told the county road crew to drag it aside...

I understand that during deer season, they tell you that if you have a hunting license you can tag it, and if you don't have a hunting license but still want to keep it, you can call someplace and get a tag for it.

A local guy hit a nice buck and there was no visible damage to the deer, so after he tagged it and got it home, he dumped it out in the yard and shot it, then proceeded to tell everyone how he had bagged the big one with a 500 yard shot, etc. Of course, with small town folk word gets out, between the body shop that fixed his truck and the butcher noticing that one whole side of the deer was a bruise...

I bet that guy's friends till asking him if he's planning to hunt with his Winchester or his Ford this year...

A local guy hit a nice buck and there was no visible damage to the deer, so after he tagged it and got it home, he dumped it out in the yard and shot it, then proceeded to tell everyone how he had bagged the big one with a 500 yard shot, etc.
Hah! Reminds me of this guy....WTF is up with poseurs?