Interesting Article

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good find Bill. I thought it was interesting they talk about the instrument cluster and don't mention that you will need tri-focals to read the numbers. ;)

JW

I enjoyed the tester's results that they didn't like the steering of the Kawi, even after making several attempts at adjustments...then the "swing vote" said he likes the looks of the bike and chose it over the FJR because the C-14 turned so well?!?!?!?!

As most of us believe, the bikes are close enough that it comes down to an individual's choice and desires.

I'm happy with my FJR...still...after 50K miles...

Interesting Read. I wonder how the results would have been if they used WickedWebby's version for the comparo.

I am sure the results would have been different.

"I'm happy with my FJR...still...after 50K miles..."

Ditto!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting Read. I wonder how the results would have been if they used WickedWebby's version for the comparo.
I am sure the results would have been different.

"I'm happy with my FJR...still...after 50K miles..."

Ditto!
Thanks for that 03HiYoSilver,

It has shown to be true that the FJR can (very simply) be uncorked and even give an "uncorked" C14 a good run for its money (both bikes uncorked have shown to be matched up very even).

Kudos to the C14! It is a nice bike.

Too bad you can't do much about the, "high steering geometry" , the short mileage valve maintenance schedule, and that small gas tank.

Not saying... just saying.

WW

(I wouldn't trade my FJR for any other current sport tourer either).

It's obvious that Yamaha could rescale the speedo and make it more readable. Top speed is less than 150 mph. No need to scale the speedo above 150 mph, maybe 160 so they can puff out their chests, but certainly goofy to scale up to 180 mph.

But Yamaha, to a great extent, is focused on product marketing. A 180 speedo looks impressive. Yet they got red faces with their optimistic tachos on the R6. Again, marketing trumped reality and function.

Like you pay ANY attention to what the speedo says. :)

The GT is just overpriced. I think it would get more love if they brought the price down. The Kawi is just too 'first model year' -- bags falling off, KIPASS issues...)

I'd bet with the unwound throttle spring, the FJR would have gotten top billing in this review.

Thanks for sharing.

Good find Bill. I thought it was interesting they talk about the instrument cluster and don't mention that you will need tri-focals to read the numbers. ;)
JW

It's obvious that Yamaha could rescale the speedo and make it more readable. Top speed is less than 150 mph. No need to scale the speedo above 150 mph, maybe 160 so they can puff out their chests, but certainly goofy to scale up to 180 mph.
But Yamaha, to a great extent, is focused on product marketing. A 180 speedo looks impressive. Yet they got red faces with their optimistic tachos on the R6. Again, marketing trumped reality and function.
CM,

Even when my GenII FJR was completely stock, it could do over 150mph true speed (with my speedo corrected by my yellowbox and verified on GPS). With the bags off a bit better. 180 mph is obviously just for the looks. Though I will say this... The fastest I have had my tuned up GenII FJR on my new GPS (that saves the last speed, the Nuvi 650) has been 157mph. If I had not corrected my speedometer error with my yellowbox(my speedo use to read 5% high)... My speedo would have been reading 165 mph... So maybe 170mph would be a better mark for those impressive looks.

WW

Top speed is less than 150 mph. No need to scale the speedo above 150 mph, maybe 160
Where DO you get your information?

My speedo would have been reading 165 mph... So maybe 170mph would be a better mark for those impressive looks.
What he said. My FJR has seen 170 indicated on the speedo once. That was *only* 160 on the GPS.

From the above referenced article:

Performance Numbers

60-80 MPH, 80-100 MPH

BMW: 3.10 sec., 3.28 sec.

Kawasaki: 4.28 sec., 4.74 sec.

Yamaha: 3.73 sec., 4.36 sec.

Top Speed

BMW: 152.3 mph

Kawasaki: 150.2 mph

Yamaha: 146.2 mph

Corrected Quarter-Mile

BMW: 10.69 sec. @ 130.5 mph Kawasaki: 10.52 sec. @ 130.5 mph Yamaha: 10.93 sec. @ 124.7 mph

---------------------

The FJR's max speed was 146 mph. A 160 speedo scale would offer a 9+% cushion above the actual max speed.

CM,

I guess you didn't read what I wrote..The speeds I reported are real World Road tests while using GPS for the Max speed reports.

Just because some magazine prints a number that doesn't mean that is infinitely and entirely accurate. I will give the benefit of the doubt here and guess that those numbers are results they achieved that given day with brand spankin new (unbroken-in) bikes into a headwind or something. Some magazines don't even really test them.. Just do corrected numbers. Those numbers you posted are obviously low reports. Did this magazine reveal what each bike had for miles into their break-in? Or that days conditions? This is why I do not put all of my stock into what a magazine is reporting and/or selling all the time.

Your reference here reminds me of how some people try to argue about the power their bike made on a specific dyno compared to the power another bike made on a different and seperate dyno. A completely mute point.

Real World 1st hand knowledge works better for me. Thats why I shared with you.

WW

Why would they claim the FJR gearbox is clunky? mine was too for about 2000miles and is now buttersmooth, so they should use a well broken in Feejer and only then voice an opinion...

I've had many beemers and must say the FJR is the most sophisticated bike I've ever ridden.

Guess I need to send in my Zumo for repair...it reported 151.8 before I shut it down for traffic. That was with both side bags attached and the windscreen about 25% up.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Why would they claim the FJR gearbox is clunky?
Because to them (and to me) it *is* clunky.

Mine has been clunky from the first mile all the way up to the 11K mile.

they should use a well broken in Feejer and only then voice an opinion...
Why do they have to wait to voice an opinion? No one else around here does. :)

Why would they claim the FJR gearbox is clunky?
Because to them (and to me) it *is* clunky.

Mine has been clunky from the first mile all the way up to the 11K mile.

they should use a well broken in Feejer and only then voice an opinion...
Why do they have to wait to voice an opinion? No one else around here does. :)
Ok smartbutt, you're right, but mine is still buttersmooth... :clapping: