Interesting New Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
Saw this in a write-up in some mag I was browsing through....

They say it will glow in the dark pretty brightly for 2-3 hours and can glow as long as 8 hours.

https://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2219&idcategory=49

vemar_jianoevo-tc_glow_glowing_600.jpg

Interesting, Thor for real....... for $450 greenbacks seems reasonable. I have a Vemar full face helmet, I used a lot in the 2011 Season, good quality Helmets. Doubt full though how long this gloaming effect will last!

Very interesting technology, but fit, safety, and comfort are still primary. If I could try one on and be satisfied as to the first things, I'd love a helmet that would glow like this I am a modular helmet guy, so that's a plus for me, and a Pinlock guy too, also good.

But the ad says the glow "is activated by absorbing the UV radiation of sunlight." And then "the longer it is exposed to sunlight, the longer (it glows)." If you could take it inside the house and charge up the glow there--with a lamp--it would be fine, but if it has to be sunlight and you decide to go for a ride a few hours after dark (or leave home early on a dark morning), guess it wouldn't glow much. Too bad.

Thinking back, when I was in the Air Force we had some paint we used to highlight flight line vehicles and trailers that was very reflective. I covered my old 3/4 helmet with that and it showed up in the dark pretty darn well--as long as the guy coming toward me had his headlights on. A little less space-age (and expensive) technology than this glow-in-the-dark one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that helmet but in silver, but I cannot recommend it. My face shield starting cracking from where the pinlock pins are located on both sides even though I don't have a pinlock shield. The cracks are now within a quarter inch of the outside edges and I am still waiting for a new one from the dealer since August 30. It will be covered under warranty, but since it's new helmet, parts don't seem to be available. I guess China is still a long way away. Also, the face shield is difficult to detach due to excess plastic not being trimmed off during finishing, and a pinlock shield seems to be unavailable for this helmet.

I find this helmet to be quieter on the FJR with the face shield down than my Symax II, but louder than the Symax II with the shield up. It does fog up despite claims to the contrary. It is a better fit for the long oval head, so my head didn't fit perfectly. The internal flip down sun-shield is quite large and almost fills the eye port without interfering with my nose, although it could be darker.

Thinking back, when I was in the Air Force we had some paint we used to highlight flight line vehicles and trailers that was very reflective. I covered my old 3/4 helmet with that and it showed up in the dark pretty darn well--as long as the guy coming toward me had his headlights on. A little less space-age (and expensive) technology than this glow-in-the-dark one.
Um, dude, I think that stuff was radioactive. You may want to go and get your melon checked. Most aircraft have that stuff as part of their emergency egress equiptment....kinda takes the joy out of sitting next to the emergency exit isle.