iPad GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellthat?

Reaction score
Was using a standard size GPS for a while, but figured why not try out the iPad on the bike? Initially I was a little concerned it would be too big or hit the tank on bar lock, but after doing a quick mockup I figured it would be ok. Picked up a ram mount for the pad and BAM! instant big ass GPS! I like it. The pic below is pretty close to my view (I'm 5'9") and I can see the dash fine.

CLICKY

Smell,

Great idea, and I think tablet devices will eventually run Garmin and Magellan right out of some serious revenue.

I tried this last year just days after getting my iPad immediately after it was released. Here's a pic:

IMG_1442.jpg

Unfortunately, encapsulated in the bag and while riding on a sunny day, it simply stopped working, showing a message on a black screen saying "iPad is too hot and has shut down." It was fine after it cooled down and was restarted.

I hope your solution will work. Just guard against the iPad getting too hot if possible. Don't leave it in the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
That have a night setting? Some night you might have a 747 tailgating you trying to find the landing strip.
Funny! That actually did not occur to me in my haste to do it! I can tweak brightness so will try that out tonight and see how it looks. So far, it's been great. Did a couple hundred miles today and other than a little glare, it worked well. I was able to just adjust the angle if the glare got too much. The heat issue I had not heard of before and could be a problem here in Nor Cal Valley (100 degree days do happen) so will have to keep an eye out for that.

All in all, very happy with the results.

Damn... and I said I'd never buy an Apple product. That is seriously tempting. I guess I'll wait for decent Android tablets to roll out, they'll have Google Maps on 'em.

I hope this puts Garmin & TomTom out of business! *THAT* would be even sweeter. Either that or they'll be forced to put a user interface on that wasn't designed by a crack-addled monkey.

I really like the 7" format, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab and some of the droit pads, that are about to come out with the Honeycomb OS. Not too big and not too small. I'm on an iPad now but can see changing in a year.

Phones have the same problem with heat. I have my phone in the map pocket. If it gets too hot it shuts dowm.

Garmin released an iPhone app, which I recently purchased. I figured I'd use the phone instead of the iPad (which I also have), since its the WiFi only model.

Garmin released an iPhone app, which I recently purchased. I figured I'd use the phone instead of the iPad (which I also have), since its the WiFi only model.
How are the features of the Garmin app? Bascially turns your iDevice into a Garmin GPS?
Correct, it looks like a Nuvi; I'm using it with a Sena bluetooth headset and I get stereo music and spoken directions. I figured I needed a GPS around town (where I have data coverage), so for the cost of the app, plus the headset, Powerlet and Ram mounts, I have what I need.