IPhone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had an iPhone, in all versions since they came out and while I love it to death, I would not use it actively on the bike as a GPS...I use a dedicated GPS. I DO use it for GPS in the car though...Motion X GPS is probably the best of the GPS apps out there IMHO (and review-wise) and it's not expensive. It'll pre-load your route's maps so it'll have something during loss of connectivity. One of these days I'll use it for music while riding, but I've never ridden with music...so that may never happen, lol. I do use my iPhone all the time to locate nearby places like restaurants and stuff and it's usually better at it than my dedicated GPS, but I do that only when taking a break.

My wife has a 4 and I have a 3GS. My 3GS does great photos, but damn...the 4 is so much better (HDR photos look great)! Netflix on the 4 looks way better than on the 3GS as well.

Love my iPhone and use it on the bike all the time. Even for short trips in the city, it gets placed in my Ram Mount. Music, and phone hardwired to my AutoComm system.

Haven't used it for GPS much but am looking at the myriad of GPS apps that load the maps onto the device to negate the need for a cellular connection (important for me as my provider rapes me if I use data coverage in the US.)

Would have loved the waterproof box that Otterbox made for the original iPhone but they discontinued it and never made one for the 3G or newer iPhones. :( Instead, I bought a roll of electrical tape, and tape over the mike, speakers, buttons and unused openings on the iPhone and have yet to have a problem (although I do tuck it away in the tank bag in real heavy downpours.)

Someone mentioned the IPhone is hard to use with gloves due to small icons. The real issue is no matter how large the icons are, they cannot be activated by a gloved hand.
Not entirely true. While on my 13 1/2 hour trip home from WCR, of which 12 1/2 hrs were in the rain, I found that with wet leather riding gloves, the capacitive touch screen can be operated with my gloves on.

I know the things are all about touch and gestures and stuff but I'm looking for system wide full voice control for all apps with vocal feedback. Couple that with the iPad size GPS screen screen and you would have the makings of a killer system. You would just need to waterproof it and protect it from temperature extremes.

Brodie
Already got the Ram iPad mount and a roll of iDevice waterproofing tape. Just need a voice control app and I'm set!
tongue.gif

Given the battery life on the IPhone, about the only thing their good for on a motorcycle is a kickstand plate.
My iPhone seems to have great battery life. I can run music all day even running instamapper (I use a 10min interval). If I start with a partially depleted battery, or do a lot of surfing and calling, my $5 Scosche car charger keeps me going!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just now getting around to reading the posts. Thanks so much for the info and comments. :clapping: Lotta good stuff.

I will likely get the Iphone cause I need a new phone anyway (currently on a Blackberry).

Does sound like a dedicated GPS is the way to go for MC use rather than using the Iphone 'mapping' capabilities.

Currently for music I use an Ipod Shuffle that is zip tied to the clutch master cylinder and the only adjustments I make on the road are volume and next track. Even with gloves on I can get it to work.

Funny- never seems like there is a COMPLETE system out there for all of our communications we desire. :(

Thanks for the replies mates.

Scott

iphone and nuvi 765T or iphone and any A2DP GPS will not both link to an interphone F4 at the same time. Other phones let you disable the A2DP on the phone and use it just for phone, but the iphone cant do that. F4 supports one stereo bluetooth connection at a time.

So.... I have the phone tethered to the gps and the gps to the F4 but if I get a call, the GPS won't pass it to the F4. Arrgggghhhhh. Need a Zumo?

I'll be honest - I have had both of the first gens of Iphone and moved on to the latest gens of Androids...

Iphones are quickly being left behind in the tech race, where once upon a time they were the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Google maps is an incredible mapping solution with gps.... I use it Samsung Galaxy Nexus phones are spectacular. In all honesty apples propitiatory scenarios are incredibly limiting in every aspect of their deployment.

What service provider are you currently with...?

I use this case, mounted on the left handlebar on every ride. Completely waterproof.

Everything is included with the case for mounting.

BioLogic

I sync up with bluetooth and listen to music, make and receive phone calls and use Motion X Drive GPS with Voice propmted turn by turn.

I get 6 - 10 hours of use depending if I am playing music non-stop.

I can also plug into the power outlet if i want to run hardwired for longer trips.

Start looking for ways to mount your iPad if you wanrt a larger screen.

iOS 6 now has Maps built in with Turn By Turn Navigation as well as using Siri for voice commands.

Also FaceTime over cellular if you want to video someone while cruising and you have cellular on your iPad.

All of it on the iPhone as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Iphone 4S and an app called Telenav with Verizon service. If I need to find anything as long as I have an address, name or intersection, I can just type in what I want and Telenav interupts my music to give me turn by turn voice commands. It's never failed. I leave the Iphone in the inner vest pocket of my riding jacket in an Otter Box and have the ear phones go up into my helmet. Music interupted by directions. It's only shortcomming is that it's only good for one location at a time you can't program a day of riding like the high grade GPS devices that some here have. As to damage the Otter Box is great.

On a very rainy night I low sided on I 90 at highway speed and the Iphone was in the pocket of my rainsuit. The rainsuit shreeded and the Iphone ended up bouncing all over the dark wet interstate highway till after I was up and the bike was up. We looked and founded it in a traffic lane with abrasions on the Otter Box but working fine. BTW the Apple extra warranty with Iphone 4S covers any breakage of any kind with a deductible. You could bring the phone in broken in pieces and water logged as long as you pay the deductible they will replace it.

I use mine every day on the bike. I powered it up thru a seporate lighter adaptor that I installed down by the front forks. I use the Tom Tom app for my navagation Pandora and other others for music weathor apps for radar images of what I am rideing into. Glove Tips allow you to change the the icons and features on the phone while riding. I use the Collett 900 comunicator as my bluetooth link betwen the Iphone and my helmet,with this you have wireless sound and communication with others that have the same units. The collett unit gives you the spoken Tom Tom directions, music and it also answers my cell phone calls automaticly so I can talk when I am driving. Voice comunication and sound is excelent at all!!!!! speeds.

I use the iPhone 4 with Navigon maps. The maps are built in so no concern about data usage. I had picked up a Garmin and took it back after one day and switch to Navigon on the iphone. I have it connected to the Scala G4, so everything is blue tooth through one connection (cell phone, tunes, GPS directions, bike to bike intercom, etc.)

I had a standard iPhone RAM mount from GPS city but always had to take it out of the case and mount the phone directly on the plastic bracket. Never like the vibration and of course problems with rain.

So I picked up an Otterbox Defender case. Have it mounted to the FJR RAM mount that connects on the tank bolts. Took the Standard RAM mount, drilled two holes in the belt clip of the defender and connected the RAM ball to it. Give me a solid mount to clip in the phone, be confident it's not coming out and well protected from elements on mutliple sides. In Phone itself still remains in the Defenders inside Hard Plastic + Outside Rubber case which covers the audio plug, any buttons and built in screen protector. The rubber really helps to reduce vibration. No it's not water proof but have ridden with in driving rain and the case + having it sit behind the wind shield, although completely wet on the outside had only a bit of moisture actually make it's way to the phone. Nothing I would worry about.

My droid razr maxx, with the ICS OS, and the car cradle hooked to a RAM mount and my SENA SMH10 - beats the shit out of iphone.

I do not use a waterproof case, because the phone will overheat, and turns itself off to save itself. If it rains I just put her in my pocket, still gives turn by turn directions, plays my Rush albums (Clockwork Angels kicks ass, btw). voice commands are super. If I pre-Cache the maps of area's I am travelling to in Google maps, I don't even worry about cell service dropping out.

I also have a garmin 765t, but it fried out on me when it got wet in nova scotia last summer, and I am too lazy and cheap to take garmin up on their offer to replace it for $99.

Ram%20mount%20razr%20maxx.jpg