Iron Butt Rides....what's The Point??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBryer

Reaction score
I've done lots of long days, but I think the max is about 600 miles. What is the appeal to getting 1000 in a day?

I was miserable after a long day on the super slab. I can't imagine another 400+ miles.

There are a 1001 different answer to this. They are as varied as the rider him/herself.

Some folks have the burning need to ride constantly; to call it an addiction is not without some accuracy. Why do we ride in the first place? If you can answer that, then one has insight into why some folks ride 1000, or 1500 (or more) miles a day.

There's the challenge aspect, sure.... challenging yourself to ride further, faster, better, etc than you ever had before. There's the satisfaction of accomplishment in doing something others can’t even begin to dream about. There is the incredible feeling one has when riding through a cloudless night in the Desert West, the night sky ablaze with the celestial fireworks that only the Milky Way can provide. That sense of peace and tranquility when riding through the floor of a basin or valley just as dawn hints its first purple hue on the eastern skyline.

Like I say, there are 1001 reasons why Iron Butt riders put on the massive miles that they do. The freedom, the solitude, the power of Land Flight, and the glory that is The Ride of a lifetime.

Haven't done mine yet, but, if all goes well, I'll only be able to say that for 2 more weeks. Why am I doing it? Because its something else that I've wanted to do... for me. It's not about bragging rights or 'look what kinda sick f*ck I am'. My longest riding days have been in the 600-700 mile range and I don't know how I'll be able to handle 1000+ days. I haven't heard all of the 1001 reasons that WC mentioned, but, I've heard some of them and it gives me that much more incentive to want to experience that for myself.

I guess my best way to answer the question of why I want to do an IB ride is...'why not?'.

I was just trying to understand the mindset of an IB rider.

3 guys on our local Charlotte board did east coast to the GP race in 3 days. :clap:

I'd be totally worthless for a week if I tried something like that.

As much as I love to ride (29K miles on my '04 FJR), it seems like if you're doing 1000 mile days, you're seeing the country at 75+ mph from the super slab. On trips, I typically aim for 500 miles or less so that we can take the scenic byways and ride mostly in the national forests where possible.

Perhaps you can do the best of both worlds? Do 1000 miles at 75 mph so you can then go experience the scenic byways and national parks in a part of the country you wouldn't normally see during one of your 500 mile trips??????

it seems like if you're doing 1000 mile days, you're seeing the country at 75+ mph from the super slab. 
No, no... not true at all! Break out your calculator.... a 1000-mile day is only a mere 42mph average! No need for the interstate whatsoever! :D

In this years Utah 1088, I did 1700+ miles in under 24 hours, with less than 12% of it being on the Interstate.

In 2003, I was Rallymaster for BLISTER, a 2-day Endurance event where we ran 3142 miles in well under 48 hours. Less than 5% of that route was on interstate... and then, only to connect to other 2-lane back-roads.

Route planning is key. Efficient gas stops are crucial... I can routinely keep it under 10 minutes per refueling evolution. Mine you, I carry 11.3 gallons of fuel, so I can easily do 400+ miles before refueling.

All this no doubt seems nuts to the uninitiated. But these rides are all routine to LD veterans. It's like any sporting event... you train, you prepare the bike, you constantly seek better ways top keep you comfortable while underway.... and it actually becomes almost easy.

Note I said "almost". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people climb Mt. Everest?

Why do people through-hike the Appalachian trail?

Why do people swim the English Channel?

Why do people try to go around the world in a balloon, or in a plane without stopping?

Why do people try to eat as many hotdogs as possible in 12 minutes?

Any number of reasons. Usually because they get some type of enjoyment out of the activity, or the end result.

Groo, I was with you until the hot dog thing...why the hell would anyone eat ONE hotdog, let alone a dozen? :dribble:

As far as riding...don't forget the bragging rights. It feels good to tell someone that you did X number of miles in X number of hours and see that look they give you...

No, no... not true at all! Break out your calculator.... a 1000-mile day is only a mere 42mph average! No need for the interstate whatsoever!
I don't know about you, but I like to sleep a little, so allowing 8 hours of sleep, that's a rolling average of 62.5 MPH.

Allow for 2 hours of pee/rest stops and the average is over 71 MPH. Now, I've ridden in the west/high desert area so I understand that 500 miles there can be a little over 5 hour trip, but here on the east coast, that isn't going to happen without a few performance awards from the LEO's. :(

Groo, I'm just trying to learn, so :headbonk:

I've only been riding a few years, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I don't like 1000 mile car trips, so I was just trying to figure why you guys do it on a bike. That being said, after our recent trip from NC to the Tetons, I totally get it, but the extreme end of Iron Butt rides and multiple back to back IB rides I don't get.

GunMD,

12? The record is like 42 in 12 minutes... some skinny Japanese dood named Kobayashi.

JohnBryer,

No problems here... I was just trying to explain that there are lots of other activities that can be viewed as bizarre if you aren't an afficionado.... personally I think people who free-climb sheer rock faces on cliffs are totally nuts, but to them, there's an attraction that makes them do it. We're all wired a bit differently, which to me explains why some people like certain things, and some don't.

I was miserable after a long day on the super slab.  I can't imagine another 400+ miles.
If it was easy everyone would do it.

That being said there are ways to safely extend your miles/day.

After doing your first 1KDay all maps look differently.

No, no... not true at all! Break out your calculator.... a 1000-mile day is only a mere 42mph average! No need for the interstate whatsoever!
I don't know about you, but I like to sleep a little, so allowing 8 hours of sleep, that's a rolling average of 62.5 MPH.
During my SS2K (2 back-to-back SS1K days) I finished the first one in about 16 hours. I got plenty of sleep in a hotel and got up the next day and did it again.

11 gallons of fuel

10 to 15 minute gas stops

snacks on the bike

water on the bike

Save the lollygagging for after the ride. After all, 1 gas station is the same as the next so why linger any longer than needed at zero mph? Sit down meals are for when you get some place. Yet many of the people I know who claim 400 miles a day as their max will spend 45 minutes (or more) hanging around at every gas stop and also try to make up reasons to stop even more frequently. It's almost as if they go on bike trips and start trying to make up reasons to avoid riding the bike.

mmmmm....hot dogs...... :bleh:

I actually was sorta wondering the same thing. 1000 miles in one day is a bit long. I personally don't think i can do it. However, I certainly can appreciate the pleasure of riding all day.

I tend to do no more than 4-500 on a tour per day. Mostly because I like to stop and see stuff. My trips revolve more around UNESCO world heritage sites than anything else, so a couple hours here and there are usually quite nice (even if i have to lug my helmet & tankbag along).

I avoid motorways (interstates, that is) as much as possible. Except for fun on the autobahn (i live in london...germany ain't far away), or some special regions of france, it's not that fun. Of course, if I NEED to get from point A to B, highways are great. Except in france, where you gotta pay a lot of money..... :(

Normal roads take me through great roads where you can't really go excessively fast. And also takes me through nice towns where it's kinda nice to put the visor up and take in the sites for a few minutes while you cruise through.....

.....but that's me. never ridden in the states. someday i'll go home and give it a try.... :)

till then.....

-colin

Why...? I don't plan a ride solely for that purpose but on long distance touring, there are plently of "easy" opportunities to get them in. Nice weather, in the groove, whatever, the urge just comes on you and you stretch it a bit. I did a SS1000 on a whim and after a good nights sleep, I did the rest of the BB1500.

Still don't like riding at night in forested areas.

For me, its nice to get into a whole new area of this amazing contry in a very short amount of time. I like to change it up between superslab and 2 laners, but at least for the first 500 miles, I've "been there, done that" and really just want to see something new or havent travled much.

When you can pound out 1000K+ mile days, you can do a lot with a 3 day weekend that doesnt include riding every day.

For me, being able to get to Yellowstone in a day, spend a day or 2 messing around, then coming home to Seattle in a day is very rewarding, takes up very little, if any vaca time, and is an amazing trip. :clap:

As for getting IBA certs and doing rallies, thats for each rider to find within themselfs.