Irresponsible

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancasterFJR

Reaction score
Riding back from Laguna Seca on Sunday, there were some very irresponsible motorcyclists that put their lives and other' in danger the way they ride. PCH is quit technical between Monterey and cambria. A motorcyclist on sliver FJR was particularly reckless. I was riding at a moderate pace behind a car when the FJR passed me and the car over double yellow in a blind left turn with 20 mph speed limit, a really sharp left turn, and totally blind. He was completely in the opposie lane. There was a large group of motorcyclist behind me. The road was busy and he was very lucky no cars were coming from the opposite direction. I know to each their own, but man, me and a bunch of others could have been killed. What really hurt, it was a fellow FJR rider. I wonder who was the guy.. If you read this, please take it easy. Arriving minutes earlier isn't worth it.

I'm gonna own up... to being 16, going up a hill and passing someone blindly (in a car).

And honestly, not a day goes by I don't chastise myself for having risked my life and my passengers (there were no airbags then).

So, I did that once, as a stupid dumb ass kid... how the **** does someone who's (probably) an adult justify what that rider did? I really can't fathom it...

Guess I sound hypocritical, but believe me, once was enough...

I call it "Airshowitis" Go to an airshow and afterwards watch all the "Hotshots" depart. They think they are a member of the Blue Angels.

Same as thinking you're Nicky Hayden.

Actually I passed someone on a double yellow for the first time yesterday, but it wasn't me in the OPs story.

Riding the back roads North of L.A. with a small group, got stuck behind a car doing 15-20 under the limit, we patiently hung out back behind the car for a good 10 miles while he passed several good places (a few of them paved even) to pull over before we passed him one by one, of course we did it at a part on the road where we could see a good mile ahead (thanks to the favorable curve in the road)

If you were following a car on the PCH in a 20MPH zone and hadnt already passed, the guy was prolly ashamed to be on the same bike as you. HA Its life some like to live on the edge. As for putting your life in danger, um you were driving 20MPH or below right? Not much danger there. BTW as much as I wish it had been me, I am stuck here in the HOT AND HUMID SOUTH!!!

If you were following a car on the PCH in a 20MPH zone and hadnt already passed, the guy was prolly ashamed to be on the same bike as you. HA Its life some like to live on the edge. As for putting your life in danger, um you were driving 20MPH or below right? Not much danger there. BTW as much as I wish it had been me, I am stuck here in the HOT AND HUMID SOUTH!!!
+1...That's kinda what I was thinkin

If you were following a car on the PCH in a 20MPH zone and hadnt already passed, the guy was prolly ashamed to be on the same bike as you. HA Its life, some like to live on the edge. As for putting your life in danger, um you were driving 20MPH or below right? Not much danger there. BTW as much as I wish it had been me, I am stuck here in the HOT AND HUMID SOUTH!!!
+10, Gunny; great minds think alike El Toro Joe, the same thought crossed my mind also!

If you were following a car on the PCH in a 20MPH zone and hadnt already passed, the guy was prolly ashamed to be on the same bike as you. HA Its life, some like to live on the edge. As for putting your life in danger, um you were driving 20MPH or below right? Not much danger there. BTW as much as I wish it had been me, I am stuck here in the HOT AND HUMID SOUTH!!!
+10, Gunny; great minds think alike El Toro Joe, the same thought crossed my mind also!

I'm sorry. This is just WRONG. I just lost (last week) a riding friend who was coming back to Phoenix from Dallas in his car. He was in NM near Roswell going up a hill when a pickup came from the other direction, on the wrong side of a double yellow line and they collided head on. My friend did not even have time to hit the brakes. He died instantly - air bags are only so good. No info on the speed of the pickup. And yes, passing on the double yellow puts the lives of the people in the car (who was following the law after all) AND the people in back of the car in danger. There is no predicting where things will go in a head on collision, and which lives will be changed forever. And, yes I have passed on a double yellow, but generally, the car or truck I am passing is well under the posted speed limit, and I do have a reasonable sight line. From the report, this guy did not.

If you were following a car on the PCH in a 20MPH zone and hadn't already passed, the guy was Probablly ashamed to be on the same bike as you. HA Its life, some like to live on the edge. As for putting your life in danger, um you were driving 20MPH or below right? Not much danger there. BTW as much as I wish it had been me, I am stuck here in the HOT AND HUMID SOUTH!!!
+1...That's kinda what I was thinking

I'm sorry. This is just WRONG. I just lost (last week) a riding friend who was coming back to Phoenix from Dallas in his car. He was in NM near Roswell going up a hill when a pickup came from the other direction, on the wrong side of a double yellow line and they collided head on. My friend did not even have time to hit the brakes. He died instantly - air bags are only so good. No info on the speed of the pickup. And yes, passing on the double yellow puts the lives of the people in the car (who was following the law after all) AND the people in back of the car in danger. There is no predicting where things will go in a head on collision, and which lives will be changed forever. And, yes I have passed on a double yellow, but generally, the car or truck I am passing is well under the posted speed limit, and I do have a reasonable sight line. From the report, this guy did not.
I am not condoning what he did but if was further back behind the rest of your buddies maybe his line of sight was better than yours at the time. There is one curve on the way home from work where I hang back a little and hug the inside as much as possible. My line of sight is better once breaking out ot the curve than being right behind the vehicle in front of me. There is a passing zone right after the curve and as soon as I can see the straight It's hammer time. "Just sayin"

That being said there is another long sweeper on the way home too. Posted speed is 25 MPH. I don't know how many times I have been tempted to do the same but my better judgment has told me NO so far. I think we are guilty of doing stupid shite one time or another.

Not throwing any stones,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not condoning what he did but if was further back behind the rest of your buddies maybe his line of sight was better than yours at the time.
I have been chastised by fellow riders for passing where they did not think it was safe. I was in a beter position to see further up the road than they were and the pass was safe, but they could not see it. It happens.

OTOH, I did once pass a camper on a narrow road in the mountains of West Virginia where I could not see if it was safe. I knew it was a mistake as soon as I twisted the throttle. Luckily there was no problem, but I learned my lesson and never did it again.

riding northern NY up by the Canadian border my buds and I have been passed several times in the twisties by large packs of wildhair Canucks on sport bikes who think the space between the yellow lines is their own lane! Needless to say we tried to keep up but those guys can ride..They don't give a rip about oncoming traffic either-they go balls out and everyone moves over..Eh?

riding northern NY up by the Canadian border my buds and I have been passed several times in the twisties by large packs of wildhair Canucks on sport bikes who think the space between the yellow lines is their own lane! Needless to say we tried to keep up but those guys can ride..They don't give a rip about oncoming traffic either-they go balls out and everyone moves over..Eh?
Actually lnewlf, you've just described how every European motorcyclist rides every damn day. I've ridden from Gibraltar to Vienna and from Liverpool to Bremen and all Euro motorcyclists use the space between the yellow lines as their own lane. It is only American riders and car drivers that go "spastic" and piss themselves over it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually lnewlf, you've just described how every European motorcyclist rides every damn day. I've ridden from Gibraltar to Vienna and from Liverpool to Bremen and all Euro motorcyclists use the space between the yellow lines as their own lane. It is only American riders and car drivers that go "spastic" and piss themselves over it!
+1

Lane splitting in Italy following Stephano was an experience I'll never forget! We OWNED the center yellow divider line! :yahoo: A bit scary at first, but after a while I was like, 'this is GREAT'. On a bike I can go anywhere!

Here in the states however, those that ride with me know I NEVER (cough, cough) pass on a double yellow!

I've seen vids of the EURO riders, and they can ride.

But one big diff here is that we have an enormous amount of people that basically, can't drive. Think Florida, where someone 3 lanes to the left makes a sudden veering to the right and makes a right turn, in front of everyone.

No... our drivers are very incompetent, sad to say. I do not trust my life to them, not a chance in hell.