Irresponsible

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riding northern NY up by the Canadian border my buds and I have been passed several times in the twisties by large packs of wildhair Canucks on sport bikes who think the space between the yellow lines is their own lane! Needless to say we tried to keep up but those guys can ride..They don't give a rip about oncoming traffic either-they go balls out and everyone moves over..Eh?
Actually lnewlf, you've just described how every European motorcyclist rides every damn day. I've ridden from Gibraltar to Vienna and from Liverpool to Bremen and all Euro motorcyclists use the space between the yellow lines as their own lane. It is only American riders and car drivers that go "spastic" and piss themselves over it!
+1

Lane splitting in Italy following Stephano was an experience I'll never forget! We OWNED the center yellow divider line! :yahoo: A bit scary at first, but after a while I was like, 'this is GREAT'. On a bike I can go anywhere!

Here in the states however, those that ride with me know I NEVER (cough, cough) pass on a double yellow!
+10, Tenfold Gunny! Thank you SkooterG, an extremely outstanding example of center line lane splitting! I rode 3K kilometers with Stefano Sarao - Teerex51 through the Pyrennees of Spain, Andorra and France. An incredible experience for riding and watching masterful riding by the Italian FJR Forum. Stef, Luciano, Orestes, MEK, etc.!

Yes, my illegitimate bastard Hijo (Son) Skooter G does pass on a double yellow line. But, I have ridden thousands upon thousands of miles with GregM and never seen him do it in an unsafe manner. If you have great riding skills, such as SkootyG, Fairlaner, 03SilverBullet Steve, HotRodZilla and many others on this Forum: Go For It!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=26910&st=0 https://fjrforum.it-wire.com/portal.php https://fjrforum.it-wire.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3961 Our Jagermeister rode with Stef also!

Last edited by a moderator:
riding northern NY up by the Canadian border my buds and I have been passed several times in the twisties by large packs of wildhair Canucks on sport bikes who think the space between the yellow lines is their own lane! Needless to say we tried to keep up but those guys can ride..They don't give a rip about oncoming traffic either-they go balls out and everyone moves over..Eh?
Actually lnewlf, you've just described how every European motorcyclist rides every damn day. I've ridden from Gibraltar to Vienna and from Liverpool to Bremen and all Euro motorcyclists use the space between the yellow lines as their own lane. It is only American riders and car drivers that go "spastic" and piss themselves over it!
My wife and I were in Rome last year in heavy traffic both ways and saw two bikers heading toward each other fast in that lane between the yellow lines. Only there was only one set of yellow lines and two bikers heading toward each other. I thought, "Oh crap, they're gonna die!" but then somehow they both came out okay and kept going. I thought I was in a Harry Potter movie. To this day I don't know how they did it.

:dribble:

I will occasionally pass on a double yellow if I am behind a dawdler...... because up here that is legal, when it is safe to do so and you are not speeding.... I think it is legal in a couple of states up this way too, but not many.

I will occasionally pass on a double yellow if I am behind a dawdler...... because up here that is legal, when it is safe to do so and you are not speeding.... I think it is legal in a couple of states up this way too, but not many.
Thanks Ray, the exact same situation in Europe with it being legal!

Speaking of irresponsible bikers, today I was returning in a cage from having dropped off a motorcycle that I just sold (and delivered) to the man driving me home. As we were talking in the car, we were passed by a Kawasaki crotch rocket running at perhaps 13k rpm and maybe around 140 mph. The screech from his exhaust was so loud, so close to the window and so sudden, it scared both of us half to death. We were traveling about 10 over the limit at about 65 mph on a rural 2 lane highway. I'd forgotten how loud a crotch rocket can be. I'm reminded of the time I was passing a car on my bike and he decided to turn left as I was passing him. Good thing i was able to scrub off enough speed to avoid an accident; and I was driving responsibly that day. It's been said that loud exhausts save lives. I wonder about that.

Gary

darksider #44

This is personal. Please go back and read the original post in this topic: "I was riding at a moderate pace behind a car when the FJR passed me and the car over double yellow in a blind left turn with 20 mph speed limit, a really sharp left turn, and totally blind." IF a car had been coming the other way, there is no telling what carnage would have ensued. Now, I did admit to passing on the double yellow but NOT in a TOTALLY BLIND curve. So I'll say it again, this behavior was wrong and we all should learn from others mistakes before we do the same. And when we wonder why motorcycles have a negative perception in the general/non-motorcycle public, this is for sure one example and the fact that it was done on my ride and condoned by people on this forum that I respect, makes me sad. Now excuse me, I have to go to a Memorial Service for my good friend Dan who died from just such foolish actions. :sadsmiley02: :sadsmiley:

This is personal. Please go back and read the original post in this topic: "I was riding at a moderate pace behind a car when the FJR passed me and the car over double yellow in a blind left turn with 20 mph speed limit, a really sharp left turn, and totally blind." IF a car had been coming the other way, there is no telling what carnage would have ensued. Now, I did admit to passing on the double yellow but NOT in a TOTALLY BLIND curve. So I'll say it again, this behavior was wrong and we all should learn from others mistakes before we do the same. And when we wonder why motorcycles have a negative perception in the general/non-motorcycle public, this is for sure one example and the fact that it was done on my ride and condoned by people on this forum that I respect, makes me sad. Now excuse me, I have to go to a Memorial Service for my good friend Dan who died from just such foolish actions. :sadsmiley02: :sadsmiley:
Thank you Jim.

I am truly flabbergasted at most of the replies. It seems to me that some of you think putting your life and others in danger equates having big balls. Yes, we get away with it most of the time, but you only need one unfortunate mishap, wrong time and wrong place, and someone is dead or maimed for life. Families get hurt too and lawyers have field days. stupidity is not bravery, nor is it skill. I expect some of you to mock what I just wrote, but you veteran riders should not condone this behaviour just cause they do it in Europe.

Chill pill folks. I don't think anybody is comparing the OP's situation to riding in Europe or anywhere else. I know I sure wasn't. I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what the situation was so I'll take your word for it. Sounded pretty damn wreckless to me.

I think the discussion in general turned to passing on a double yellow in general and that's where a lot of the comments came from.

I don't think ANYBODY posting here condones wreckless riding behaviour that puts other folks in jeopardy.

Of course the problem is what exactly constitutes 'wreckless riding behaviour'? Different folks are going to have different trigger points on that one.

Chill pill folks. I don't think anybody is comparing the OP's situation to riding in Europe or anywhere else. I know I sure wasn't. I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what the situation was so I'll take your word for it. Sounded pretty damn wreckless to me.

I think the discussion in general turned to passing on a double yellow in general and that's where a lot of the comments came from.

I don't think ANYBODY posting here condones wreckless riding behaviour that puts other folks in jeopardy.

Of course the problem is what exactly constitutes 'wreckless riding behaviour'? Different folks are going to have different trigger points on that one.
+1, Gunny; Very Well Spoken and Solid Words of Wisdom, SkooterG!

The point about obeying hazard markings, like double yellow lines, 15 MPH curves, etc, reminds me about the lecture my BRC instructor touched upon in his "ladder approach" to reducing accidents. Basically the higher the rungs of possible **** ups you climb, the higher the probability of taking a fall. If your sight lines are well within your passing ability and your distance judgment is sound then breaking the traffic law has less consequence. But if you mess up like the guy (or gal) who forced my Mom off the road on what seemed like a straight on no brainer (heading up to Cave Creek from Phoenix) a few years ago, it nearly cost a life for that mis-timed pass.

After an event like Laguna Seca, riding home is always "interesting'.

I'm with dcarver....it's one of the major reasons I don't attend.

Sometimes it's just as "interesting" trying to arrive safely.....

Maybe we should ALL take a look at our riding habits. Adjustments are a personal choice but mistakes or results of bad judgement affect us all....just like "loud pipes.

YMMV, and so does your opinion.

...Laguna Seca...some very irresponsible motorcyclists...their lives and other' in danger the way they ride. PCH is ...technical... A motorcyclist on sliver FJR was particularly reckless.
This from a riding buddy: "Casey's pass was nothin' compared to the passes I saw being made on Hwy 1. Turns out the real race is from LA to Monterey on Hwy 1. Apparently, the first one to arrive in Monterey wins something and it must be worth a lot considering the chances being taken. Lots of evasive manuvers being made by oncoming traffic so these yahoos can complete their 10 vehicle passes on curves and double yellows. And if you are on a bike, you WILL share your lane with these racers, whether you like it or not."

Not saying the OP didn't describe a dangerous situation, but passing on a double line can be a very safe non-event. IMO the road engineers decide passing zones based on the lowest common denominator--slow cars. Way less acceleration, way wider than a bike. On slow windy roads, the FJR is so quick in 2nd gear, you can be around someone in a very short distance, way less distance than the road engineers plan for.

I've been driving that Big Sur stretch for over 40 years and can really relate to the idiocy of some of the riders I've seen, especially when there's an event at Laguna Seca. It's pretty common to see a crotch rocket upside down just off the road with a big crowd of bikers and paramedics in attendance. I still believe in that old adage: "There are old riders and bold riders, but not many old bold riders"

Of course that's just my opinion...I could be wrong

I've performed some passes that fellow riders have not liked....some of them were quite safe, others, safe but with less margin. I also have performed some passes, due to frustration, that I just shake my head at myself saying dood...that was stupid.

I try to not put myself in those situations of frustration if possible. I also try to remember that I have a family I want to come home to at the end of the ride or trip...

Sounds like a dangerous pass as described in post #1.

...but I know some people could wag their finger at me just the same. Either way, I never want to be in a situation where there is a possibility of hurting another biker, pedestrian, or motorist. If I'm gonna take a chance, I should be the only one to pay from my actions.

Last year a cager out west crossed over a double yellow on a stright-a-way driving in a hurry and going no fucking where fast. He passed a motorcycle club of ten bikes or more out on a group ride minding their own business and obeying the posted speed limit. Unfortunately, the cager grossly misjudged the distance between oncoming traffic and caused a car to swerve directly into the on-coming lane and subsequently take out damn near the entire motorcycle club! My dearly departed dad taught me in the early years of my riding experience that the greatest thing about motorcycling was getting to your destination and returning home safely. Bottom line, give everyone the respect you expect to receive and if you feel the need for speed...do it at your own risk, but not at the cost of someones safety.

Not saying the OP didn't describe a dangerous situation, but passing on a double line can be a very safe non-event. IMO the road engineers decide passing zones based on the lowest common denominator--slow cars. Way less acceleration, way wider than a bike. On slow windy roads, the FJR is so quick in 2nd gear, you can be around someone in a very short distance, way less distance than the road engineers plan for.
Amen brother! Now I just need a sure fire way to convince a cop of that logic when caught doing a perfectly safe pass on a double yellow. :glare:

Amen brother! Now I just need a sure fire way to convince a cop of that logic when caught doing a perfectly safe pass on a double yellow. :glare:
Yep, much of the highway markings, signs, etc. are for a 'lowest common denominator'. Still, say in mountains, some vehicles can't safely pass just because there's no 'double yellow'...!

And, larger/taller vehicles can have more sight-distance (semis, for example).

See, it's not black-or-white (shades of grey).

But, traffic laws are the law.

When I think back to how I used to ride in my early twenties I feel ashamed and very lucky to be alive. I can't throw stones in a glass house. It does bother me now that I'm older and wiser to see riders putting their lives and the sport's reputation in jeapordy.