Is Cruise Control Consistent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzro

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering buying a Gen 3, cruise being the biggest motivator. I have a 2009 AE that I love and hate the thought of going back to having to use the foot lever for shifting, but I ride a lot of highway miles and cruise would really free me up to pay better attention to the important things instead of always worrying about my speed. I tend to climb into the mid 80's and Georgia has the Super Speeder ticket for 85+. Here in the south its quite hilly so my question is, how well does the cruise hold its speed going up and down hills. Will I still see dramatic, (+/- 4 or 5 mph), increases or decreases going up and down?

Based on my '15 and how observant I am of my speed (others may be more/less observant).

On highways and other roads with gradual to moderate rate of altitude change my speed change is roughly ± 2-3 mph. On roads with more severe altitude change my speed may vary ± 4-5 mph with sag going up hill and overshoot cresting and starting down hill. Once the transition up/down has been made the cruise will center on the correct speed. On gradual hills and flat roads the speed is well regulated around ± 1 mph.

FWIW, my Audiovox (now made by Murphs Kit) had less sag and overshoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
buy a used 2013 - cruise is limited to 80 mph.
THIS is the best way to NOT get a super speeder ticket!

Another good reason to own the 'Lucky 13' !
punk.gif

I thought about aftermarket but there isn't many positive reviews, mostly negative. As to the 2013, if the speedo is anything like my other Yamaha's 80 really means 76 or 77. They seem like their always off 3 or 4 mph. I use a throttle lock now but that can fluctuate 15 to 20 mph. Helps in Florida though.

If properly installed by someone who knows what they are doing, the Audiovox has worked exceptionally well for many people with accurate speed control. This is essentially the same as the one supplied in the link I provided, above.

I think the '13 CC will set to a bit over 80 mph but the actual GPS measured set is likely right around 80 or a couple less.

I thought about aftermarket but there isn't many positive reviews, mostly negative...
A correctly installed Murph's, Rostra, McCruise or equivalent electronic cruise control work just as good as a car cruise with no issues or quirky behavior. You may have read some issues with installs, but once installed these cruise controls work very good and you will probably wonder how how you got along without one, especially if you take longer trips.

There are a few Granitevilles around the country, if you are from one of the Granitevilles in the North East we could probably arrange to assist you in an install if you choose to go that way.

Edit: I see that Ross types faster'n me and essentially wrote the same thing.

As to the 2013, if the speedo is anything like my other Yamaha's 80 really means 76 or 77. They seem like their always off 3 or 4 mph.
That is correct; those "lucky 13" owners are only getting a true, top cruise control speed of 77! Not so lucky!

I thought about aftermarket but there isn't many positive reviews, mostly negative. As to the 2013, if the speedo is anything like my other Yamaha's 80 really means 76 or 77. They seem like their always off 3 or 4 mph. I use a throttle lock now but that can fluctuate 15 to 20 mph. Helps in Florida though.
My speedo is 2 mph lower then my Garmin Zuma at 80mph. 2013 A

I guess 80mph might be a limitation out west, but here in the east it's fine by me. While I go over 80 at times I never really want to set my cruise at 80+

My audiovox has been flawless for over 70,000 miles. My very talented brother in law with the ultimate set of tools did the install (I drank beer and watched...). I see you have an AE--not sure if that changes the install (?) -- I have a vacuum canister under the seat, not sure if the AE has that same space available. If you like the AE feature it's worth considering vs losing that to get a new bike.

As to the 2013, if the speedo is anything like my other Yamaha's 80 really means 76 or 77. They seem like their always off 3 or 4 mph.
That is correct; those "lucky 13" owners are only getting a true, top cruise control speed of 77! Not so lucky!
How can one spew forth such inaccurate data? LMFAO...top speed is 80, shows 82 on speedometer.
bike.gif

Number of times I have set my 2014's cruise control to higher than 80 mph is listed below:

The number of times I wished I still had an audioVox analog vacuum operated cruise control is in the same list. The 3rd Gen CC is good. Very good.
Your list also includes the number of times you were able to shift with your thumb or forefinger while riding down the highway.

...The number of times I wished I still had an audioVox analog vacuum operated cruise control is in the same list...
I have had my '15 cruise set above the '13 limit but I can really see where the desert SW could really use the cruise above the '13 limit more than the rest of the country.

Not intending to nitpick what Fred sez, but will add that the AudioVox has a digital processor which controls an analog actuation system to regulate the speed. I say this because there are other systems which cause people to say, OHHHHH a Digital Cruise Control, but like the AudioVox, it too has a digital processor, but uses an electric motor as the speed control actuator instead of vacuum. Both systems, the "digital" and AVCC use digital processors and analog actuation systems.

Even though my AVCC regulated and held speed better than my '15, the fly-by-wire throttle system on the Gen III makes the Yamaha cruise control much better than the AVCC or any other aftermarket cruise control system.

An aftermarket cruise control for an older FJR is a real, viable option.

Here's an installation write-up for an AE.https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/140815-another-ccs100-cruise-control-on-the-fjr1300as-ae/?do=findComment&comment=897193mcatrophy gives a good write-up and some good links. I think some of his photo links are not currently live but I'm sure he would get you the info if you PM. Lots of other useful posts on the forum as well.
At the moment my web site is temporarily in need of some TLC, unfortunately my IT expert is some 4200 miles from home, not due back until the weekend, and it will probably be a few days after that before things are sorted. However, I've put some stuff on a temporary web site where you can find my Audiovox installation pictures.
(For the record, the temporary site also has my clutch soak pictures and my Gen 3 fairing removal.)

No complaints at all with my GEN III cruise.

If anyone is on the fence and (wants/needs) a reason to trade up, CC certainly makes running down the highway a pleasure!

--G

Number of times I have set my 2014's cruise control to higher than 80 mph is listed below:

The number of times I wished I still had an audioVox analog vacuum operated cruise control is in the same list.

The 3rd Gen CC is good. Very good. Just one opinion.
No doubt a factory electronic CC is the way to go. But if you have a Gen I or II the Audiovox works amazingly well, given that it's not even designed for a motorcycle. As for speed settings, I routinely set mine at 90+. Long stretches of nearly traffic free interstate posted at 80mph allow for that, like the road 3 miles from my house (I-15, pic at the ID / MT border). Just because I could, I once set mine at 120 and let it go a couple miles...
smile.png

DSC02679.jpg