Is FJR right for me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdes

Reaction score
Team,

I recently went to a bike exhibition and fell in love with the FJR. Currently I ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200 (faired) but it is a very basic form of biking. So, I thought I would pop into your forum for some advise. I have two main requirements; 1) lack of vibration, 2) protection from the elements.

Have any of you made this type transition and have you reasons for selecting the FJR oevr and above other similar makes of bike?

TIA

Team,
I recently went to a bike exhibition and fell in love with the FJR. Currently I ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200 (faired) but it is a very basic form of biking. So, I thought I would pop into your forum for some advise. I have two main requirements; 1) lack of vibration, 2) protection from the elements.

Have any of you made this type transition and have you reasons for selecting the FJR oevr and above other similar makes of bike?

TIA
I had an '01 Bandit 1200S before my FJR. I loved the bike but, like you, wanted more wind protection, standard luggage, less vibration and less maintenance. The FJR was (and still is) the answer. At the time (about 18 months ago) the competition was the Kawi Concours (the old design) and the BMW R1200RT or K1200GT. The Kawi was too "old school" for me and the Beemers didn't offer much bang for the buck. So, I went with the FJR and so far, have no regrets other than a lack of competent dealers/service techs. I plan on using the resources of this forum and others to learn how to do the maintenance myself. Of course, now there's a new Concours and Bandit 1250S. I still think that I'd go with the FJR if I had to make the decision today.

A FJR will definitely meet your two requirements. The Gen II FJR's ('06/7/8) have a bit larger stock windshield, although after-market windscreens are everywhere for the Gen I's models. I've owned two FJR's. No vibration to speak of.

It's pretty easy and relatively painless to find the answer to all of your questions using the various search tools that are available.

Personally, I prefer the Google method which you can learn about if you click here

Good luck. Have fun.

I would not recommend the research method employed by this gentleman: click

Your question is a valid one, but difficult for some other person to answer for you. I will tell you that I am an aging motorcyclist, much more arthritic and grouchy than in my younger days. I vary from feeling like I'm still 18, and a road warrior, to I want something comfortable. The FJR is the answer for me. I do have the CalSci larger wind screen, as well as a more comfortable than stock seat. That, with the heated hand grips, gives me everything I could ask for.

Your question is a valid one, but difficult for some other person to answer for you. I will tell you that I am an aging motorcyclist, much more arthritic and grouchy than in my younger days. I vary from feeling like I'm still 18, and a road warrior, to I want something comfortable. The FJR is the answer for me. I do have the CalSci larger wind screen, as well as a more comfortable than stock seat. That, with the heated hand grips, gives me everything I could ask for.
I am also one of the older riders but I am classed as having a mid-life crisis. I only passed my test a year ago and went straight on to the Bandit!

The replies to my original posting are makig me surer that I woud like an FJR. I supose that the only real rival is the Pan European. Has any one had both and can compare the two?

I went from a 2nd gen Bandit to an FJR. You will like the additional wind protection and no chain maintenance.

I am also one of the older riders but I am classed as having a mid-life crisis. I only passed my test a year ago and went straight on to the Bandit!

The replies to my original posting are makig me surer that I woud like an FJR. I supose that the only real rival is the Pan European. Has any one had both and can compare the two?

Bob Hughes came from an ST 1300 to an FJR earlier this year and absolutely loves it (or so he SAYS!). Don't know if you can trust those ST types. B)

Don

I'm a Bandit convert as well. I had an '02 B12S since new in Aug 01. I loved that bike. When I had a nasty get off in June 02, I promptly replaced it with another '02 B12S.

I put the Givi windscreen on it, Givi E41 side cases with a Givi V46 topcase. I had the Holeshot pipe and stage 1 kit as well as the Holeshot nerf bars and countless other mods. I was a regular on Maximum-Suzuki (in fact, still the #4 all time poster over there- pdx_bandit).

When I went on my cross country trip in the summer of '06, I had a great time on the Bandit, and it did an ok job. But, I spent thousands to get my bike to be more like an FJR. When my house caught fire (actually, the Bandit was a contributing factor in the fire), and I replaced it, I seriously considered waiting for the 3rd gen Bandit.

However, I was able to finally test ride an FJR, a bike I had lusted for since it was introduced to the US market. The test ride was all I needed. I bought one in August '06 and have been exceptionally happy with it ever since.

Things I like in no particular order:

• Wind protection is MUCH better
  • Shaft drive, no more chain maintenance - woohoo!
  • Smooth engine. While some say the FJR is buzzy compared to an ST1300, it is silk compared to the Bandit
  • Side bags are integrated and look good on the bike. My Bandit looked like I had a VW parked on it
  • EFI, water cooled (although the new Bandit is too)
  • ABS (although the new Bandit is too)
  • Suspension from the factory is easily adjustable for rider/passenger change
  • Displays/dash layout is 200x better than the Bandit
  • Better fuel economy believe it or not
  • Cheaper insurance (although, your results may vary)
In the end, there is nothing the Bandit offered that I don't get out of my FJR. The only thing I miss is the size, and I only miss it when parking. The Bandit is a bit smaller, but not necessarily more maneuverable IMO. While I'm sure many in the Bandit crowd will articulate the Bandit's ability to handle in the twisties, etc, I am not the type that rides even close to my limits or the bike's limits. The FJR is more comfortable to ride, and since I don't ride to the limits, the comfort makes the FJR more fun for me.
Here are pictures of my Bandit and FJR (click image to enlarge):

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Bandit convert as well. I had an '02 B12S since new in Aug 01. I loved that bike. When I had a nasty get off in June 02, I promptly replaced it with another '02 B12S.
Many thanks for the detailed reply. It was just what I was looking for. Like you, I am a prety sedate rider but like to feel the "grunt" from time to time. I bought the Bandit a year ago straight after passing my test but had it delivered by the previous owner as I didn't have the bottle to test ride it! But I know a bit about mechanics so was qite comfortable. The point is that I was so keen to get a bike, I did no market research and bought the first bike that fitted a few criteria. Now I have gained some experience, I have started to defne my requirements and the comfort and weather protection have come out on top.

So an FJR it is then (after a test drive and after I find a job!!!)

Cheers!

I'm gonna say that almost every aspect of the bike will be what you want, but there definately are vibrations.

Now I haven't ridden a genII, nor have I ridden a bandit, so I don't know for sure if this applies, but a genI bike does have a decent amount of handlebar buzz. Putting on grip puppies, using a cramp buster (wrist rocker, throttle lock, or cruise) and distrubuting your weight correctly so you are not leaning on the bars will help.

The rumor mill has it that the new Kaw. C-14 is smoother than the FJR, but there are other issues.

Just some food for thought....

Last edited by a moderator:
keith, I rode my Gen II to work today at the UofL Health Science Complex. Let me know and I will let you take it for a ride.

I have riden both as well and I think you will find the FJR a very nice move. One thing i can tell you that I dont think has been mentioned is that the standard brakes on the bandit are not nearly as good (IMO) as the FJR. with the FJR you can do standard hardbraking with 1-2 fingers the equivelant on the bandit is a handfull of fingers

Your defintitly going to get some buzz out of FJR bars. Not bad, but you'll know they're there. you wont be able to eliminate it either. Grip puppies help, bar ends may or may not help ( i didnt notice much difference). Quite a bit of vibration will also come through the pegs at certain rpm's. the rest is a cake walk. Great bike all the way around (after some initial farkling).

If your not a farkler, find someone who can help. it easy to make adjustement to personalize the fit to each individual.

GreyGoose